Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAbout Face: David Gilmour

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2015 at 23:59
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Gilmour's second solo album is awesome at times. I love the song Murder. What's your opinion of About Face?

Gilmour ran out of ideas with his first solo album, an the leftovers were used in The Wall)

AF is about the worst Floyd-alumni album ever recorded, riddled with awful 80's productions and idiotic Collins/EW&F brass)

Saw Gilmour on that tour (with Ralphs on guitar), but the concert was very average.

Come on Hughes...idiotic EW&F brass/Collins.....that stuff was brilliantAngry has that 80's feel for sure.
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2015 at 00:03

the best off About Face.....

Edited by Chris S - July 27 2015 at 00:03

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2015 at 01:27
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Gilmour's second solo album is awesome at times. I love the song Murder. What's your opinion of About Face?

"Murder" is the best post-Wall song of Floyd or any member of Floyd. I appreciate Gilmour not sticking with a formulaic regurgitation of the Floyd shtick, and presenting himself as an individual performer, which I think he did admirably on this album.

IMO that best post Floyd song is this one.....

Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap 
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2015 at 05:40
Originally posted by Chris S Chris S wrote:

Gilmour ran out of ideas with his first solo album, an the leftovers were used in The Wall)

AF is about the worst Floyd-alumni album ever recorded, riddled with awful 80's productions and idiotic Collins/EW&F brass)

Saw Gilmour on that tour (with Ralphs on guitar), but the concert was very average.

Come on Hughes...idiotic EW&F brass/Collins.....that stuff was brilliantAngry has that 80's feel for sure.NukeNukeNuke

that's exactly what I mean!!! DeadDeadDead

progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2015 at 07:35
I used to dismiss About Face many years ago. It had some good stuff, but I felt that some of the more radio-friendly brought the album down.

Nowadays I have found that this album has grown on me and I think my earlier dismissal was shortsighted. I actually like it better than his debut. And further, to put it into the context of what else was released at that time, the album is really one of very few shining lights amidst a sea of mediocrity.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2015 at 08:25
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

I used to dismiss About Face many years ago. It had some good stuff, but I felt that some of the more radio-friendly brought the album down.

Nowadays I have found that this album has grown on me and I think my earlier dismissal was shortsighted. I actually like it better than his debut. And further, to put it into the context of what else was released at that time, the album is really one of very few shining lights amidst a sea of mediocrity.

I fully agree with this. 1984 was one of the poorest years.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2015 at 08:37
1984 isn't exactly my favourite year when it comes to prog releases, but there were some absolute gems released that year (albums I'd pop on the ol stereo long before About Face). 

Jean-Paul Prat - Masal
Marillion - Fugazi
Univers Zero - Uzed
Solaris - Marsbéli Krónikák
Los Jaivas - Obras de Violeta Parra
Cardiacs - The Seaside
News From Babel - Work Resumed On The Tower
Etron Fou Lebloulan - Les Sillons de la Terre
Yog Sothoth - s/t
Uppsala - s/t

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2015 at 08:38

Come on Hughes...idiotic EW&F brass/Collins.....that stuff was brilliantAngry has that 80's feel for sure.NukeNukeNuke

that's exactly what I mean!!! DeadDeadDead

LOL
Gotta love this place.

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2015 at 08:50
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

I fully agree with this. 1984 was one of the poorest years.
Actually things got worse from 86 to 89 (and the 80's sounds as well)...
early in the decade, there were still some bands that resisted "going 80's" for a while
unfortunately Gilmour didn't (but Waters did IMHO, despite a weaker KAOS)... Not only for About Face, but especially for AMLOR.OuchDeadAngryCry >> AMLOR is (sadly) the next Gilmour solo album!! Tongue

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

that's Censoredexactly what I meant!!! DeadDeadDead

LOL
Gotta love this place.

Hug
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2015 at 09:01
I guess that's the main PA lesson: one man's gold is another man's sh*te.
...and i wouldn't have it any other wayApprove

Edited by Guldbamsen - July 27 2015 at 09:03

- Douglas Adams
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2015 at 10:12
The thing about bands playing in the 80s, nearly everyone sounded like they were playing in the 80s, even the most important prog folk: Peter Gabriel (So, anyone?), Yes (Owner of a Wicked Fart), King Crimson (Discipline, their ode to Talking Heads), Marillion, Genesis, Tull, etc. Whether you appreciate 1980s sound/studio values is another question, but the conventional wisdom then was no one was going to sell an album in the 80s reduplicating exact 1960s psych or 1970s prog.  

We look back in hindsight and denigrate the artists but I recall the pressure back then was immense to compete with the musical crap being spawned at the time. I am sure today we would have appreciated Ian Anderson having the balls to make another 45 minute-long album-stretching song in 1984 or Yes making a double album consisting of four 18 to 20 minute-long songs in 1987, but it would have been suicidal from a Billboard standpoint. The chance to gamble on such albums was a peculiar and wonderful aspect of the early 70s.

As I mentioned previously, Gilmour's About Face was an obvious and intended shift away from Pink Floyd (and I think Gilmour's collaboration with Pete Townshend, Love on the Air, was brilliant), whereas albums like A Momentary Lapse of Reason was a Pink Floyd knock-off and Roger Waters 80s releases following up the dreary Final Cut with more dreariness. I appreciate Gilmour's attempt.

Edited by The Dark Elf - July 27 2015 at 10:13
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2015 at 16:44
1984. The year prog was officially pronounced dead. Run Gilmour, run!
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2015 at 23:30
^^ I am not sure artists deliberately tried to steer away from prog. I think the 80's was just more ' dateable' than other decades because of some cheesy synths and drum machines. Radio Kaos does have a slither of 80's 'date' to it but overall manages superbly as an album with great production as always by Roger Waters.

If you look at About Face and even SO by Peter Gabriel it was a fashion trend running through the music at the time. Just look at the artist pics on the album covers or even Kate Bush and PG singing the now cringeworthy " Don't Give Up'. We all wore the 80's man in one form or another we just didnt realize it at the time...LOL

Again some of the best music from the 80's does not date. Talk Talk Spirit Of Eden, or Talking Heads - Remain In Light or even The Final Cut....incredible.

Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2015 at 21:43
Cringeworthy?  Don't Give Up?  Nooooo......well, maybe.  Not many PG songs played at high school proms, eh?
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2015 at 21:39

Great song! Haven't heard the album in years and I've been thinking about purchasing it lately.
aliano View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2015 at 02:40
Near the End guitar solo is one of DG's best moments.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2015 at 06:52
I actually thought this : regarding the 80's sound - if I can recall accurately, when I was in High School and started digging Prog (and music in general) I always thought the production of songs by Yes, Gabriel, Genesis, Floyd, even Chicago etc. were state-of-the-art and sounded pristine and fresh. Sure, these sounds are stuck in the 80's, they haven't aged well at all, so we do tend to cringe a bit these days, but it doesn't mean such things as About Face are bad. About Face was about Gilmour, and he did fairly well, all things considered.
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2015 at 07:47
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

I actually thought this : regarding the 80's sound - if I can recall accurately, when I was in High School and started digging Prog (and music in general) I always thought the production of songs by Yes, Gabriel, Genesis, Floyd, even Chicago etc. were state-of-the-art and sounded pristine and fresh. Sure, these sounds are stuck in the 80's, they haven't aged well at all, so we do tend to cringe a bit these days, but it doesn't mean such things as About Face are bad. About Face was about Gilmour, and he did fairly well, all things considered.

Tom, remember when we came across this vinyl (dirty, filthy, dusty, smelly, grotty vinyl) at that Hippy Haven place in Belgrave?! How much did the guy want for it, wasn't it something like $50?! Pretty sure he must have been...dammit, where's the emoticon gone for the guy smoking the big fat spliff?!

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - August 11 2015 at 07:47
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2015 at 13:07
^ Dude, I've never been to Hippie Haven, though I recall you telling me this
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2015 at 19:31
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

^ Dude, I've never been to Hippie Haven, though I recall you telling me this

Oh no! Perhaps I'm the one who was high as a kite!

Urgh, I still think I've got the dirt on my hands from going through all their records, just in filthy condition!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>