Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAbout Face: David Gilmour

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2015 at 21:49
Originally posted by aliano aliano wrote:

Near the End guitar solo is one of DG's best moments.

Just as with Murder, the solo on Near the End is much more gorgeous on the live version (the song extended even longer than Murder). Do I wish that concert were re-released on DVD/CD.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2015 at 01:22
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

^ Dude, I've never been to Hippie Haven, though I recall you telling me this

Oh no! Perhaps I'm the one who was high as a kite!
Well, if you weren't then, you are now - but I remember quite clearly your disgust with that place, and I think you said it was $60 !! I think some random dude added a 0 to the $6 price tag . Truly, I went to a market at the weekend just gone, and there was a small stall with vinyl, CD and books - nothing special (Soft Machine 7 and Land Of Cockayne, and Floyd's Piper was about as good as it got -$20 each) but he had Rolling Stones albums for $40 and even the little dbl 7" Magical Mystery Tour pack for $100 !! I got mine for $8.........
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2015 at 08:28
The live version of Blue Light played at the Rockpalast in 1984 with Pete Townsend and an 18 members band including that percussionist I'll never remember the name, the same girl who played on Oldfield's millennium concert...
I'll never forget that live. There should be something on youtube.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2015 at 00:21
I like About Face a lot, nothing wrong with it. I prefer AF to both On an Island and the new one.
I even prefer AF to both Roger Waters albums from the 80s. Big smile
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2015 at 00:56
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

The live version of Blue Light played at the Rockpalast in 1984 with Pete Townsend and an 18 members band including that percussionist I'll never remember the name, the same girl who played on Oldfield's millennium concert...
I'll never forget that live. There should be something on youtube.
Her name is Jody Linscott.

This is groundreaking live version of  Townshend's Give Blood  the song, featuring David Gilmour, Simon Phillips on drums and Jody Lincott on percussion, and many others (actually Townshend's touring band called The Deep End). And Pete Townshend in a great form. 80s English Art Rock at its best!

And this is the killer version of Gilmour's Blue Light  that you mentioned above,  with Pete Townshend & The Deep End, where Jody Linscott and Simon Phillips' drums+percussions solo is outwordly.

Edited by Svetonio - November 04 2015 at 09:32
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2015 at 02:36
We can talk-up the merits of About Face (there are many) - it is a product of its time, just like Rattle That Lock is now.
On An Island I find a bit more 'personal', and doesn't fit into a 'standard' genre. This one is more Floydian, than solo-Gilmour.
Anything Gilmour contributes to, is always a joy (Macca's No More Lonely Nights, Arcadia - which was a Duran Duran spin-off, Supertramp, Bryan Ferry etc.). When the guitar solo kicks in, you just know it's Gilmour.
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2015 at 00:53
About Face was DG doing a contemporary rock album with a little help from his freinds. It was also a time when he tried to sell seats in a cinema (150 I think) and a few people turned up. Only PF heads knew the name. No wonder it took him a while to establish an identity. Same with Roger Waters, he always (at the time) had to add "y'know... Pink Floyd..." to get through the public mind. This was part of the reason why PF's name was reconstituted. It is really very difficult for the public to know a name derived from another, lots of explanations and only music freaks really know or care.

Don't currently have a copy (I awlasy keep thinking they either will be, should be remastered so I wait.). But I had the LP and it was great, even had the Blue Light 12" single. (I'd probably get anything remotely PF oriented...)

The Deep End concert (s) were great and funny. Townshend introduces DG, he grunts, (PT remarks to the audience that's all they're going to get from him tonight. I think they also played some music.

As "bare bones" as the first is it does have a strong, musically consistently conceptual vibe in a nice menacingly but cruisy way. Loved it, love it. Needs a resissue witha DVD with the videos (some of which are live rehearsal shoots.)

On An Island I thought in similar veign (musically conceptually consistent. A long denouement.

Not yet checked out the new one - heard the single and was not amused. I even read that the guitar solos are "mercifully brief". Christ in a bucket - I don't want brief DG solos!? How is that promoting the thing? Like FZ's more extended flights I love it when his scorched earth guitar is going on for however long it's possible. This is what I want form a DG album. Good voice, appealing interesting songs, tension and his brilliant bloody guitar solos. This was why he was one of the most sought after guitar soloists in the 1980s. Tghis was why Waters got him for his spot in the second Wall movie. He couldn't sell out a cinema yet appeared on 100s of sessions. He made a Berlin album enjoyable... (Count Three And Pray).

Looking forward to the live album...

octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2015 at 02:30
Rattle That Lock has left me very disappointed. Bought, listened three times and nothing more. If it's a product of its time, we are in a bad time. A jazz song is not enough.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2015 at 22:51
Originally posted by uduwudu uduwudu wrote:

About Face was DG doing a contemporary rock album with a little help from his freinds. It was also a time when he tried to sell seats in a cinema (150 I think) and a few people turned up. Only PF heads knew the name. No wonder it took him a while to establish an identity. Same with Roger Waters, he always (at the time) had to add "y'know... Pink Floyd..." to get through the public mind. This was part of the reason why PF's name was reconstituted. It is really very difficult for the public to know a name derived from another, lots of explanations and only music freaks really know or care.

Don't currently have a copy (I awlasy keep thinking they either will be, should be remastered so I wait.). But I had the LP and it was great, even had the Blue Light 12" single. (I'd probably get anything remotely PF oriented...)

The Deep End concert (s) were great and funny. Townshend introduces DG, he grunts, (PT remarks to the audience that's all they're going to get from him tonight. I think they also played some music.

As "bare bones" as the first is it does have a strong, musically consistently conceptual vibe in a nice menacingly but cruisy way. Loved it, love it. Needs a resissue witha DVD with the videos (some of which are live rehearsal shoots.)

On An Island I thought in similar veign (musically conceptually consistent. A long denouement.

Not yet checked out the new one - heard the single and was not amused. I even read that the guitar solos are "mercifully brief". Christ in a bucket - I don't want brief DG solos!? How is that promoting the thing? Like FZ's more extended flights I love it when his scorched earth guitar is going on for however long it's possible. This is what I want form a DG album. Good voice, appealing interesting songs, tension and his brilliant bloody guitar solos. This was why he was one of the most sought after guitar soloists in the 1980s. Tghis was why Waters got him for his spot in the second Wall movie. He couldn't sell out a cinema yet appeared on 100s of sessions. He made a Berlin album enjoyable... (Count Three And Pray).

Looking forward to the live album...

If you did enjoy his previous solo albums, I think you should really check this one out. Even if it doesn't have such long solos, it's got lot's of very good songs... and the title song isn't among the best of the album... even though I do have warmed up to the song after several listens and I can really say I like it now. I think overall this is the solo album I have liked the best from him... the one with the most songs I really like, and the one I enjoy listening to the most as a whole (even if On an Island holds itself better as a unity).
Follix View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2015 at 23:51
I strongly believe that ''In Any Tongue'' is the best solo song he ever did. The album itself... It goes in a lot of different direction from pop to folk rock to spacey instrumentals to jazz... It's pretty hard to like everything but it's hard to hate everything as well I would say I enjoy 6 or 7 of the 10 songs.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2015 at 21:01
I like most of the album (rattle that lock), perhaps only one or 2 songs I don't care much about, but I think I don't really dislike any song either. I still need to listen to it more times. However, "In Any Tongue" is indeed among my favourites from the album (though saying it's my favourite from his solo career would be a stretch). From this album I also like a lot "Faces of Stone"... I think this two songs, at least, will go among my favourites from his solo albums (along with "Murder", "Near the End" and "On an Island").
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123