Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Can the early 70s prog sound be cloned nowadays?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCan the early 70s prog sound be cloned nowadays?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
paragraph7 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can the early 70s prog sound be cloned nowadays?
    Posted: February 18 2015 at 18:07
Here's what I mean: there have been many attempts by several "Neo-prog" or other artists to capture the same sort of essence which was included in the early records of King Crimson and Genesis and so on. Yet it has felt to me that such efforts have been extremely hit and miss; they've written songs with a similar song structure, yes, used Mellotron, the Hammond Organ etc, but more often than not the result actually feels like a modernized homage/tribute to the classics rather than a personal and artistic work. And it's actually really easy to understand why, for if the aim, of say Steven Wilson, is to make a record which clearly is heavily influenced by the classics, then the record has also to be on par with said classics, or else the house of cards falls apart. It becomes a hollow copy of the masterpiece it is trying to be. While the musicianship and songwriting of such artists can be extremely acknowledgable, the product at the end fails to deliver something unique, which made the classics so good to begin with. While I love Opeth's Pale Communion, every time I listen to it I get this nagging feeling of "Oh Genesis guitars!", or "Oh KC intro!" or just "oh Goblin, as in GOBLIN" Shocked

What is your take on this? There are bands like Änglagård and Anekdoten that, in my opinion, are able to catch that 70's classic sound a bit better, but I'm not entirely sure. They were mostly active in the 90s, when digitalized audio engineering was still at its baby steps, maybe that had something to do with it?
What you cannot speak of, you have to pass on in silence.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2015 at 18:46
Wacko
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2015 at 18:58
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Wacko

Yep it makes my head spin as well LOL
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2015 at 19:00
Perhaps I don't understand your question. Can you simplify what you're trying to get at? 
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2015 at 19:07
What I try to say is that there clearly are musicians/bands who try to mimic the 70's early prog atmosphere in their sound, like Steven Wilson, but when doing so, they are unable to do it without sounding like a side-kick act to the real deal itself. Is it possible to create a 70s sound that not only sounds like a side-kick act but also unique, that could stand side-to-side with In The Court of The Crimson King? Or is it all just about trying to pay tribute to that time? As I said, I think Änglagård and Anekdoten are far more near that 70's atmosphere than the aforementioned Steven Wilson, or Opeth's Pale Communion.

I'm not sure whether I can express it more clearly LOL
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2015 at 19:12
No as it would be nothing but imitation and that wears thin very quickly as you yourself have observed. Bands can try to pay homage to their heroes by using mellotrons and the like but it carries a heavy price.

A bit off the subject but not quite. I wish Wilson would try to pay homage to someone with sensitivity and feelings. But that's asking a lot from him.

Edited by SteveG - February 19 2015 at 08:17
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2015 at 19:18

No as it would be nothing but imitation and that wears thin very quickly as you yourself have observed. Bands can try pay homage to their heroes  by using mellotrons and the like but it carries a heavy price.

Exactly, although I never felt that when I've listened to Hybris. And that made me wonder. But perhaps that's just me?

A bit off the subject but not quite. I wish Wilson would try to pay homage to someone with sensitivity and feelings. But that's asking a lot from him.

LOL Wilson has always struck me as a prog-fanboy rather than a fully-fledged artist with vision and ideas. Maybe he should try writing while drunk? To get out of his comfort zone and not write everything so damn neat and fuzzy proggy prog? Wink
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2015 at 19:19
^I think you need a pulse in order to get drunk. LOL
Pastmaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2015 at 19:25
If you mean ripping off, that's an easy one.

*Cough* Haken *Cough*
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2015 at 20:01
Out of all bands that are known to be rip offs, you chose Haken :I

To answer the question:

No.

I think anything that sounds like it comes from the 70's, and isn't, never will hit the same level of impressiveness, influence, quality, whatever. Simply because it isn't really embodying the mentality that progressive rock is supposed to represent. Sure there is a difference between influence and copying, but if you instinctively compare the sound of a neo band to the 70's it just won't live up. If you're ripping off a sound or band, that is all you're doing - ripping them off. 

Personally i don't listen to much 70's prog or any neo-prog bands. I just don't like it. Whether it is stylistically or just the concept driving the band, i just would rather listen to the music that is more "now" and how is changing shape and actually progressing, in whatever way i like or find interesting. 

Again though, don't get me wrong, i'll blast Godbluff or Tago Mago or whatever I just enjoy more modern music in more ways. 

Just my opinion. Hope i sounded slightly coherent. 
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2015 at 20:36
That early prog sound for sure can not be cloned as Dolly was as well, but the contemporary prog can be recorded and produced majestically in a retro-prog style. I'd like to recommended some great retro-prog albums by the contemporary prog bands:

The Wistman Tales (2014) by Napier's Bones (UK)

Of Things That Never Were (2013) by The Worm Ouroboros (Belarus)

A Peaceful Nacht In Hell (2013) by One Of These Days & Thee Heavy Random Tone Colour Lab (Spain)

Lizards Exist s/t (2014) (Croatia)

Edited by Svetonio - February 18 2015 at 20:43
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2015 at 20:41
If you listen to Big Big Train's Underfall Yard or English Electric albums (I is better than II), they capture the 70s sound (Genesis with hints of Crimson and Yes), but they manage to incorporate it into an entirely new jargon. The lyrics are particularly well done and downright poetically beautiful without being maudlin or sing-song melodic. A song like "Judas Unrepentant" is incredibly clever and catchy at the same time, while the dark undertones, sad story, musical precision and powerful vocals of "A Boy In Darkness" represents what I think is the best of new prog, quite divorced from the 70s:

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
paganinio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2015 at 21:25
1. Works of art can only exist in their time. Not in the future, not in the past.  That's why no band will ever be able to clone the 70s rock music. They can sound identical to the 70s, but they won't feel authentic.

2. For people who aren't all that familiar with the 70s sound, you can duplicate the 70s feel and they won't be able to tell the difference. There's a guy I know that composes classical works (something like piano sonatas) that sound just like Beethoven's piano pieces.  Enough to fool me!  I certainly can't tell if it's the real Beethoven or someone in 2015 writing new Beethoven sound-alike music.

3. Just because you can clone the 70s prog, doesn't mean anyone out there will do it. The OP mentioned "personal and artistic work". You can't create that kind of work if you're trying to clone somebody else.  The guy I just mentioned who wrote Beethoven sound-alike pieces?  He's not creating any personal or artistic work. It's the opposite of personal and artistic.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2015 at 21:32
Well, Rick Wakeman himself did his retro albums, with only instruments from the 70's (out of his collection, I understand), and even though I would say they are really good albums... they don't sound 70's at all... they sound rather modern actually.
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2015 at 23:12
There isn't a single 70s sound, there are many.  Let me demonstrate:
Taking just one band: some of Pink Floyd's 70s albums sound very different from each other - if you didn't know that Atom Heart Mother, Wish You Were Here, and The Wall were all by the same band you'd never guess it just from listening to them for the first time.  Now multiply that by a hundred other examples, and you'll see clearly that many bands don't have a single sound.  And obviously the sound differences between bands are even more different.

There also isn't a sixties sound, an eighties sound, or a 2010s sound.
rotten hound of the burnie crew
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2015 at 23:27
I think you got to go back to what Genesis, Yes, or King Crimson were listening to.  
For example...
If you want to sound like Steve Howe,  then listen and play a bunch of Wes Montgomery.   Staying with the Yes theme, you would want to study Igor Stravinsky et cetera, et cetera.
 You also need multiple composers who are massively talented.   The end result could be a masterpiece that would stand beside Yes, but not sound like Yes.    Unless you're foolish enough to hire a singer who sounds like Jon Anderson!    

Zeppelin and  The Rolling Stones were influenced by many of the same American Blues artists, yet Zeppelin and Stones sound completely different.   The 80's were replete with Zeppelin want-to-be's, yet all paled in comparison to the legendary Led Zeppelin.     Go back to the source...The original source. Cool
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2015 at 01:48
Apocalypse in 9/8 seems to crop up all the time with Squonk a close second. But as said before they are never the real deal. Its one of the reasons I don't rate IQ's Dark Matter album as highly as some others and I do count myself as an IQ fan. Harvest Of Souls was just too close in structure to Suppers Ready for comfort for me. However what it just doesn't have is the 'feel' of that times and that is a very difficult thing to achieve. Astra on the other hand have managed to get the feel of the seventies using analog equipment and recording techniques (as I understand it) but to their credit never sound like a clone of anything (more like the b*****d love child of early Floyd and Sabbath if anything).

Edited by richardh - February 19 2015 at 01:49
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2015 at 03:32
Another one of the same tread, about old v new prog.
Can there be an opinion not allready spoken !

Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2015 at 06:39
Why should that sound be cloned? Have albums of 70's bands and artists all of a sudden disappeared from the market? Confused
paganinio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2015 at 06:58
Originally posted by tamijo tamijo wrote:

Another one of the same tread, about old v new prog.
Can there be an opinion not allready spoken !

This one doesn't have that "versus" vibe going on because the OP specifically asked for old prog.  There isn't even any new prog involved! Tongue
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>