Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Can the early 70s prog sound be cloned nowadays?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCan the early 70s prog sound be cloned nowadays?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
The Sloth View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2015 at 11:55
That makes perfect sense, Dean. My imagination went right into science fiction mode when I read about the program.
Anaon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2015 at 03:55
Well, if you're talking about neo-prog in general, I find the sound of these bands, let's say IQ, Pendragon or Arena, to be among the furthest to 70's sound mainly because the reverb used on drums or the sound of guitars... It's a pity because I love many albums from those bands but I hate that sound so much!

Anglagard is a very good example of 70's sound cloning, and I believe they record analog (as Opeth recently I believe), but there is also Wobbler. I think they really succeed to clone the 70's prog sound and it's mainly because of their huge knowledge of the genre! If you watched their Youtube making of videos, you'll see what I mean, they work on the sound of the snare to get close to King Crimson or searching for the sound of the toms of some Italian prog rock album.

And they used real vintage instruments like the famouse Rickenbacker 4001 bass (Chris Squire, Geddy Lee, Mike Rutherford...) or all the famous vintage keyboards...

I know it's not very innovative but I just love this sound so much, I'm trying to get that sound not because it's hype or anything but just because I love this sound, how music was mixed in the 70's, how the snare sounded, the lack of reverb, etc... Wink

By the way, Steven Wilson uses Mellotron but it's not enough to make it sounds vintage in my opinion, his sound is quite modern and very clean. I like it as well though Smile
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2015 at 19:09
Oh, I'm sorry, I thought you said "droned."  
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2015 at 03:32
Originally posted by Anaon Anaon wrote:

Well, if you're talking about neo-prog in general, I find the sound of these bands, let's say IQ, Pendragon or Arena, to be among the furthest to 70's sound mainly because the reverb used on drums or the sound of guitars... It's a pity because I love many albums from those bands but I hate that sound so much!

Anglagard is a very good example of 70's sound cloning, and I believe they record analog (as Opeth recently I believe), but there is also Wobbler. I think they really succeed to clone the 70's prog sound and it's mainly because of their huge knowledge of the genre! If you watched their Youtube making of videos, you'll see what I mean, they work on the sound of the snare to get close to King Crimson or searching for the sound of the toms of some Italian prog rock album.

And they used real vintage instruments like the famouse Rickenbacker 4001 bass (Chris Squire, Geddy Lee, Mike Rutherford...) or all the famous vintage keyboards...

I know it's not very innovative but I just love this sound so much, I'm trying to get that sound not because it's hype or anything but just because I love this sound, how music was mixed in the 70's, how the snare sounded, the lack of reverb, etc... Wink

By the way, Steven Wilson uses Mellotron but it's not enough to make it sounds vintage in my opinion, his sound is quite modern and very clean. I like it as well though Smile

Yep indeed and I also mentioned Astra earlier in the thread who are good at creating that retro sound through analog recording.
You might also be interested in a band called Wolf People who have probably the most retro sound I've heard, They are not as 'proggy' as those bands you mention (although enough to be on PA) but they really do sound like they could have been plucked straight out of an early seventies rock festival.
I also agree about Steven Wilson. Sort of retro modern mix.
Anaon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2015 at 03:36
Oh yes Astra of course, The Black Chord is one of my favourite "modern" prog albums!!

I heard Wolf People, I remember they have a good retro sound that's right but I need to hear their music again...
FallingEdge1 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2015 at 21:18
While I think it can be done, I doubt it will - most bands are going to want to get known for their own sound; in prog especially uniqueness is a high priority.
Daniele Spadavecchia View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2015 at 10:49
I subscribe to creating a personal sound using personal experiences as a starting point for prog rock, but you also have to consider social, collective cultural experiences and the technology of today.

If you grew up in the 70's and listened to prog rock all day, then it is expectable that you will use it as a tool to express yourself, plus whatever you learned as an artist later on. This is what artists have done for centuries: they learned from their masters and added a little bit of their own pushing the envelope further.

Today though, we have a problem in the artistic world: with computer digital duplication, we are able to copy anything we want quickly and -alas- superficially.
You can watch Jimi Hendrix playing Woodstock comfortably sitting on your couch. As a musician you can easily start to imitate him, especially because there are tons of instructional books and videos as this is the information age. You can buy similar instruments, clothes and frequent hyppie-clone wanna be groups of enthusiasts. But will you really catch that glimpse of freedom and togetherness that was living in that time passing the joint, dancing naked, making love, accepting each other, creating a counterculture?

In addition, the musicians who took part in the genesis and golden period of prog rock came mainly from two musical backgrounds:
-60's rock/blues "beat generation"
-classical music
They used a combination of these two ingredients to express that typical sense of musical exploration, surrealism, modernism, etc together with cultural romanticism and psychological archetypal themes.

That was the culture in the 70's and if you grew up then or were adult already, you know what I am talking about. There was still a sense of new artistic exploration in all branches like painting, writing, theater, dance, cinema and music.

Today, our culture is more about technology gadgets and information. We are also more divided, being culturally fragmented in many little niches and enclaves. Is it total individual freedom or the death of social identity?

Whatever we are experiencing, I would love to see how this is reflected in the musical and artistic world. For example, how would the prog influenced musician express the present condition with his art?

Edited by Daniele Spadavecchia - April 29 2015 at 10:52
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2015 at 11:55
Originally posted by Daniele Spadavecchia Daniele Spadavecchia wrote:

You can watch Jimi Hendrix playing Woodstock comfortably sitting on your couch. (...) But will you really catch that glimpse of freedom and togetherness that was living in that time passing the joint, dancing naked, making love, accepting each other, creating a counterculture? (...)
Perhaps only members of the upper class, and it will be the biggest (perhaps the crucial) difference from "classic era" when the members of the middle class were (also) able to do it; I mean, that somebody is to  live that "new age" really.

Edited by Svetonio - April 29 2015 at 11:58
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2015 at 12:20
Originally posted by Daniele Spadavecchia Daniele Spadavecchia wrote:

Whatever we are experiencing, I would love to see how this is reflected in the musical and artistic world. For example, how would the prog influenced musician express the present condition with his art?

By making insane combinations of genres that bend outside the confines of things. This is because 95% of music in modern times, maybe even more than that, is within some sort of strict cage. Those that truly experiment are usually the ones influenced by prog in one way or another. Even non-prog bands that are definitely experimental in their nature are usually influenced by other progressive minded artists.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2015 at 13:57
Svetonio I agree, the upper class has become synonym with freedom and New Age following expensive gurus , alternative therapies and esoteric cultures. I guess the middle and lower classes don't have any more time to experiment with life been poorer having to work harder, or they had been dumbed enough with food and cheap culture not to care!Wacko
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2015 at 13:58
Smurph, prog will always rule as a big influence and inspiration on many courageous music experiments.Beer
Big Ears View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2015 at 05:18
Ozric Tentacles capture the essence of seventies progressive rock while sounding modern. They have been more successful in updating the sound of the seventies bands than some of those surviving originals (no names mentioned!).
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2015 at 06:36
I think that the band ASTRA have done this successfully
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2015 at 09:47
Originally posted by Big Ears Big Ears wrote:

Ozric Tentacles capture the essence of seventies progressive rock while sounding modern. They have been more successful in updating the sound of the seventies bands than some of those surviving originals (no names mentioned!).

I second that - they have achieved that rather unique position but never got the recognition they deserved due to uncompromising anti-commercial stance, bless 'em.
cleardot View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2015 at 09:50
The label 4AD has a lot of artists who aren't 'cloning' the 70s but have their own progressive tendencies, St Vincent is a good example

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbOm0qYUfiY

Dead Can Dance's 1988 album The Serpent's Egg is another.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1O1jPmXd4c

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789