Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGreat Albums you discovered on PA

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Great Albums you discovered on PA
    Posted: February 20 2015 at 15:33
List the great (and near great albums) you discovered on PA and the site you found the album on such as Album Reviews, Discussion Posts, Prog Recommendations, etc.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2015 at 15:42
Almost all of my prog albums, the exceptions being those by Floyd, Yes, Genesis, ELP, Van der Graaf Generator, Soft Machine, Khan, PFM, and Osamu Kitajima.

Probably my biggest and best PA discovery was Cardiacs.

Also, a thread here introduced me to In The Flat Field and Only Theatre of Pain.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2015 at 17:17
Discovered quite a few favorites via David (Guldbamsen) - the first big home run was Franco Battiato, probably from the listening thread (he was mainly mentioning the albums Fetus and Pollution, but I started there and kept going).  Then there was Dungen (I bought "4" after he mentioned the band was really good), from my "Favorite Song Today" thread.  Then that really insane album by Don Bradshaw-Leather.  Those are just my three favorites.

Jim (Finnforest) deserves many thanks for introducing me to a lot of avant-garde-oriented 70s Italian acts.  Too many to list here, but it was all because I started a thread after deciding I wanted more stuff in the vein of Franco Battiato - on the "fringes of RPI", I think is how I put it.  I think the biggest hit of these was either ART FLEURY - I Luoghi dei Potere (edit: actually I think Pierre (hellogoodbye) deserves the credit for this one); and NASCITA DELLA SFERA - "Per Una Scultura di Ceschia"

And I should also mention that my tastes have been forever enhanced by my friends in the Shred, probably the coolest guys/girls on the planet hang out there.  Thanks guys/girls!

Edited by HolyMoly - February 20 2015 at 17:20
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2015 at 17:41
Like my fellow Shredder said, there have been many key people on PA that have changed and influenced my tastes in music in a very big way. The browsing of the archive itself has introduced to me Porcupine Tree, a very pivotal band for me as well as my favorite band of all time - The Mars Volta.

Thanks PA and all of the awesomeness filled people that lurk about it. 

Much love. 
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
sublime220 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2015 at 17:55
All Italian Prog which is currently my favourite genre.
Seriously, thanks PA, even though I haven't been on it for more than a month.
There is no dark side in the moon, really... Matter of fact, it's all dark...
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2015 at 18:11
A lot of them. I was into a few prog artists before discovering the site, but people on this site (particularly in the Shred) have definitely expanded my tastes, and not just within prog. I also scoured through a couple non-prog recommendation threads when I first arrived, which is how I discovered several genres in general.
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2015 at 00:45
I lost count.
Magma America Great Make Again
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2015 at 00:54
I lost count after the first 100

Iván

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2015 at 02:39
I tend to dive in and can't say I'm honestly that influenced by reviews as I'm usually bored after the first couple of lines (sorry!). Also much vaunted bands like Haken leave me underwhelmed. So occasionally I try something new just for the hell of it and not because someone has recommended it to me. So for instance I came to Anathema totally independent of PA. They are now my favourite artist of the covering the last 3 years. My second fave would be Bat For Lashes ( Natasha Khan) and she is not even here! I love Muse and that happened because I heard them on the radio.

However that said I have picked up a few gems in recent years thanks to PA. Ones that readily spring to mind

Three Monks - Neo Gothic Progressive Toccatas (gorgeous keyboard prog utilising the trio format , thanks Windhawk for that one I think)
Fright Pig - Out Of The Barnyard ( I can probably thank Ivan above for that one as I think it was his review that pricked my interest)
David Minasian - Random Acts Of Beauty ( sorry can't remember who recommended that one but thanks if they know who they are!)
Dream The Electric Sleep - Heretics ( Gallifrey thanks!)
Pallas - Dreams Of Men ( Nick aka 'progbethyname' - thanks!)

If I can think of others I will give them due credit!

Edited by richardh - February 21 2015 at 02:41
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2015 at 11:53
Hi,

None, really.

I tend to allow music to come to me, so to speak, and sometimes I arrive to it. On occasion, I have heard a couple of things on a link from here, but I can not remember a single one where I bought the album outright.

There are way too many bands, that I would consider, "second tier", that are valuable to the mode and legacy of progressive music, but, unfortunately, they have not grabbed my attention. I'm one of those people that has a tendency to find things on his own ... although there are many folks that I respect their ideas, and will listen to their suggestions, but those folks are less than a handful for me!

Normally, as I said, the music is just "there" for me. I can not explain that very well, but it's true. But I can tell you that some folks had excellent tastes in music and in their choices. Guy Guden was one, and I would say that Dean is another, as are a few other folks in this board, but generally, too much of the tastes around here have to tend towards "I like", and no ability to discuss its value within the art form. Some bands created the art form ... others just copied it! How does the saying goes? ... if you don't make it, you teach it? (... so you can punish your students into submission?!!!!!!)
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2015 at 12:05
Oh lord.

Ermm

THEY COME TO ME
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2015 at 03:07
LOL
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2015 at 04:56
It's unlikely that any of these releases would have 'found me' of their own accord without recourse to PA. What lollies are you suckin' on Pedro?Ermm

Second Hands - the Gourishankar
Melancholia - Inquire
Maxophone - Maxophone
In Absentia - Porcupine Tree (from a review by Chicapah)
III - Barbaro
Flight of the Cosmic Hippo - Bela Fleck and the Flecktones (from a review by Chicapah)
The Whirlwind - Transatlantic (from a review by Chicapah)
Cold Cuts - Nicholas Greenwood
Singalonga Songs for the Damned & Delirious - Diablo Swing Orchestra
Areknames - Areknames
Unity - Larry Young (recommended by JS)
Maledetti - Area
Au-Dela Du Delire - Ange
Open Up - Ethos
Psy - Guru Guru
Heavy Rock Spectacular - Bram Stoker
Andromeda - Runaway Totem

This entire post was dictated to me whilst I was asleep by a non-corporeal or "praeterhuman" being that called itself 'Ahm Naw Tha T'sillee'
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2015 at 06:56
Since thus far the PA has only occupied the last 7 years of some 50+ years of listening to music then most of the bands whose albums I have bought in the past seven years I was already aware of before arriving at the door-step of this edifice, for example The Mars Volta, Opeth, Pain of Salvation, To Mera, Evergrey, Orphaned Land, The Gathering, Porcupine Tree, The Flower Kings, Transatlantic, Mostly Autumn, Karnataka, Ozric Tentacles, Kayo Dot, Sigur Rós etc., were already known to me, some of them for many years. 

Even Battles, whose excellent début album Mirrored was released a few days after my first post here, were being highly touted across the interwebs and in the popular music press for several months before then. In fact I was a little surprised to see them mentioned here at all and that altered my perspective of the PA considerably, though not my perspective of music.

Similarly, bands like The Dear Hunter, Haken and Secret Green would have come to my attention whether PA existed or not. 

However, there are a two that stand out as being albums I probably wouldn't have heard if it were not for the PA:

The Pax Cecilia - Blessed Are The Bonds (I believe they arrived in my Crossover suggestions box, recommended by The Progtologist Jody)
Franco Battiato - Sulle corde di Aries (Prompted solely by Micky's avatar)

Edited by Dean - February 22 2015 at 07:01
What?
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2015 at 07:06
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Discovered quite a few favorites via David (Guldbamsen) - the first big home run was Franco Battiato, probably from the listening thread (he was mainly mentioning the albums Fetus and Pollution, but I started there and kept going).  Then there was Dungen (I bought "4" after he mentioned the band was really good), from my "Favorite Song Today" thread.  Then that really insane album by Don Bradshaw-Leather.  Those are just my three favorites.

Jim (Finnforest) deserves many thanks for introducing me to a lot of avant-garde-oriented 70s Italian acts.  Too many to list here, but it was all because I started a thread after deciding I wanted more stuff in the vein of Franco Battiato - on the "fringes of RPI", I think is how I put it.  I think the biggest hit of these was either ART FLEURY - I Luoghi dei Potere (edit: actually I think Pierre (hellogoodbye) deserves the credit for this one); and NASCITA DELLA SFERA - "Per Una Scultura di Ceschia"

And I should also mention that my tastes have been forever enhanced by my friends in the Shred, probably the coolest guys/girls on the planet hang out there.  Thanks guys/girls!

Thanks manEmbarrassed 
Needless to say that I've received my fair share of recs from Steve as well - spanning from Post-punk albums and old school rockers like The Guess Who to left-field artists such as Jandek and Negativland.

What more? Well I've followed my share of reviewers on PA and subsequently used a LOT of cash trying to catch up. I'm not going to start naming reviewers because in the end I know I'll forget half of them. 

Three albums I mostly likely never would've heard - but have because of this site:
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2015 at 08:40
I'm not sure I can name any I have bought based uniquely on PA though I'm sure there are a few. It tends to be more of the result of multiple influences before I buy. I'm on here & ProgEars very regularly, and the Avant Prog group on FB run by Udi Koomran. There are usually long running threads that drive my interest to explore (such as the current PE Cardiacs thread). Those three tend to be the initial contact points I'll then check out Gnosis, RYM, bandcamp, itune, youtube, progstreaming and the like. I pretty much watch for anything coming from Cuneiform, Soleil Zeuhl & Altrock. So it's much more a blended result of multiple sources than any one place.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2015 at 11:08
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

Oh lord.

Ermm

THEY COME TO ME

When you have been into music for 55 years, your comment is very stupid!

You simply can not read well enough yet to know what is being said!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2015 at 11:12
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Since thus far the PA has only occupied the last 7 years of some 50+ years of listening to music then most of the bands whose albums I have bought in the past seven years I was already aware of before arriving at the door-step of this edifice, for example The Mars Volta, Opeth, Pain of Salvation, To Mera, Evergrey, Orphaned Land, The Gathering, Porcupine Tree, The Flower Kings, Transatlantic, Mostly Autumn, Karnataka, Ozric Tentacles, Kayo Dot, Sigur Rós etc., were already known to me, some of them for many years. 

Than you Dean ... I was starting to lose faith that you and I were the only old foggies around here ...

I was thinking that of the top 100 there were only 5 or 6 bands that I had not heard ... and I STILL have not bothered because there is too much of anything else out there that I can barely keep up with!
www.pedrosena.com
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2015 at 11:41
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

I tend to allow music to come to me, so to speak, and sometimes I arrive to it. On occasion, I have heard a couple of things on a link from here, but I can not remember a single one where I bought the album outright.
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

Oh lord.

Ermm

THEY COME TO ME

When you have been into music for 55 years, your comment is very stupid!

You simply can not read well enough yet to know what is being said!

Since you continually demean the posters on this site with your prescient, demi-godlike ability to absorb proper music as if by photosynthesis, all the while obliviously ignoring other people's opinions while you vomit your wooly words of half-wisdom, I wonder why you continue to mingle here with the mere mortals. After all, the narcissistic pedestal you've erected for yourself has no room for aught else but your puffy pomposity.

Your hair-shirted prophet-in-the-wilderness spewing stream-of-consciousness musical gibberish shtick isn't even amusing anymore from an ironic standpoint. It is tedious.

If, as you infer, this site has absolutely no value for you; if, as you readily state, the posters on this site prefer to compare guitarists than talk in the metaphysical sense of music in the pure artistic form that you so obviously have a patent on; if, as you bludgeon the site with during every post, that no one here has an ounce of musical sense; if, as you imply like it is your mantra, that you are more literate than anyone here, then why the hell continue to post your bloated banalities to an inattentive audience?

Shouldn't you find a musical ashram to put your pedestal in where you can espouse your profundities to someone who gives a damn? Oh, that's right, attendance would be sparse, if non-existent. On this rock, Mosh has built a church of one.LOL
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2015 at 11:54
Help I'm a rock!. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>