Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGreat Albums you discovered on PA

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2015 at 13:30
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

hahah. Tell us how you really feel man
It just came to me.Wink
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2015 at 13:33
Clap  nice one then
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2015 at 14:12
Originally posted by tricksiebzehn tricksiebzehn wrote:

Originally posted by Rick Robson Rick Robson wrote:

Man it's interesting your curiosity about music from diferent countries. I'd like to know does Supay feels to you, I appreciate very much andean folk music merged with other elements, like from classical music and rock ie, is that the case of this band?

Yep, I feel it is. Not super much (I think Los Jaivas do a better Job regarding that) but it's worth a try, at least 3 tracks really got me. Just the keyboards sounds a bit cheesy from time to time (despite not being bad played).

Yeah I like Los Jaivas too, particularly El Indio and Alturas de M.P., though being honest I still like even more some pure folk andean music that I have. But Supay have me curious about their music, I will check them out, thanks.

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
tricksiebzehn View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2015 at 15:05

Man it's interesting your curiosity about music from diferent countries. I'd like to know does Supay feels to you, I appreciate very much andean folk music merged with other elements, like from classical music and rock ie, is that the case of this band?

Yep, I feel it is. Not super much (I think Los Jaivas do a better Job regarding that) but it's worth a try, at least 3 tracks really got me. Just the keyboards sounds a bit cheesy from time to time (despite not being bad played).

Yeah I like Los Jaivas too, particularly El Indio and Alturas de M.P., though being honest I still like even more some pure folk andean music that I have. But Supay have me curious about their music, I will check them out, thanks.

Nice to hear. I don't have much andean folk, but I enjoy "Los Kjarkas" from time to time. Maybe you have a suggestion for me?

Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2015 at 17:02

Nice to hear. I don't have much andean folk, but I enjoy "Los Kjarkas" from time to time. Maybe you have a suggestion for me?

Hey this is awesome! That's the same band I most enjoy, Los Kjarkas are indeed a great bolivian group, do you know the song "Sunch'u T'ikitay"? It's one of my favourites from them, and I find in it an interesting resemblance with that atmosphere from Steve Hackett's "The Red Flowers of Tachai Bloom Everywhere", I think you know this song too, off Spectral Mornings album. Other Kjarkas song incredibly beautiful is "Toyos", amongst quite a few others indeed.

Unfortunately I don't have other andean folk groups, but would like so much to find others as good as Los Kjarkas, I've long ago listened to some music from a couple of other groups, at the same time that I happened to know the bolivians, but I can't recall them anymore, it was 1989/1990 precisely.

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
tricksiebzehn View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2015 at 17:03

Hey this is awesome! That's the same band I most enjoy, Los Kjarkas are indeed a great bolivian group, do you know the song "Sunch'u T'ikitay"? It's one of my favourites from them, and I find in it an interesting resemblance with that atmosphere from Steve Hackett's "The Red Flowers of Tachai Bloom Everywhere", I think you know this song too, off Spectral Mornings album. Other Kjarkas song incredibly beautiful is "Toyos", amongst quite a few others indeed.

Unfortunately I don't have other andean folk groups, but would like so much to find others as good as Los Kjarkas, I've long ago listened to some music from a couple of other groups, at the same time that I happened to know the bolivians, but I can't recall them anymore, it was 1989/1990 precisely.

Wow, thats odd, but cool! Yep, the tracks you mentioned are great, even if I can't remember if I already heard them. I should search for some more similar music in the near future.

zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2015 at 11:57
Most of my collected albums so far have come from looking first at the PA top rated albums list (the top 250 in all categories), and a handful from looking only at reviews and forums. I've heard many people on this site say they pay little or no attention to the top-rated list, but it's been useful for me for seeing what is generally the best known, and best liked music: making it a good starting point. However, now I'm feeling more of a need to move away from it and explore music that is less well known (much of which is probably just as good as what's listed in the top-rated list)

Anyway, too many for me to mention too, but I'll list some of the best finds I made from PA: 

Scheherezade and Other Stories -- Rennaisance
Anabelas -- Bubu
Western Culture -- Henry Cow
Hatfield and the North
Visions -- Haken
The Power and the Glory, and Acquiring the Taste -- Gentle Giant
Suffocating the Bloom -- Echolyn
English Electric pt. 1 and 2 -- Big Big Train

...And all of Van Der Graff Generator's best rated albums, plus a bunch of Italian Prog that I had not been aware of before I found this site.

Edited by zwordser - March 04 2015 at 12:02
Z
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2015 at 12:05
Harvest- North Winds
Cymande-same
Dean Watson- Fantasizer
Sunbirds-same

I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123