Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGreat Albums you discovered on PA

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2015 at 12:23
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Since thus far the PA has only occupied the last 7 years of some 50+ years of listening to music then most of the bands whose albums I have bought in the past seven years I was already aware of before arriving at the door-step of this edifice, for example The Mars Volta, Opeth, Pain of Salvation, To Mera, Evergrey, Orphaned Land, The Gathering, Porcupine Tree, The Flower Kings, Transatlantic, Mostly Autumn, Karnataka, Ozric Tentacles, Kayo Dot, Sigur Rós etc., were already known to me, some of them for many years. 

Than you Dean ... I was starting to lose faith that you and I were the only old foggies around here ...

I was thinking that of the top 100 there were only 5 or 6 bands that I had not heard ... and I STILL have not bothered because there is too much of anything else out there that I can barely keep up with!
For myself it's not so much "not bothered" as overly cautious of any recommendation from other people and somewhat jaded by years of hype, payola and flavour of the month fads. While some people's tastes are perhaps similar to mine it does not follow that I will like everything they like. If we all fawned over the same stuff the world would be an exceedingly dull place, I appreciate the recommendations of others and take pleasure in reading reviews of music that I probably will not like and the opinions of those whose tastes differ radically from mine. Änglagĺrd for example, are a band I know of and have heard, but I ain't ever goin' to buy their albums simply because I don't like their music. 

I've said this before but it is worth repeating - the Top 100 list doesn't mean a damn thing, and it is certainly true to say there isn't a single person living whose own Top 100 would correlate with that list even remotely.

You said that you "tend to allow music to come to me" yet that is as nonsensical as it is incomprehensible because hearing music isn't a passive act. The days when you could browse the racks of LPs in your friendly local record store and buy albums on-spec and unheard because you liked the cover or where intrigued by the song titles are long gone. The music we like to hear cannot be heard on the radio or seen on the telly (unless it's Sigur Rós's music being used as incidental music a documentary or Jónsi's solo work being used to advertise cream cheese or HSBC bank...)

Now you have to actively seek out music to hear it, and if you like what you hear then you buy it.

What?
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2015 at 12:43
  I love 70s European prog a lot, and have discovered quite a bit in that area through PA, sometimes by reading reviews and also from specific suggestions and even gifts of music from fellow members.
        Some really endearing things by bands totally new to me, like Prof. Wolff, Dom, Good God, The Pink Mice, Mythos, Flasket Brinner, Energit, Volker Kriegel, Curt Cress Clan, Satin Whale, Wolfgang Schmid, Os Mundi, to name just a few.

presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2015 at 13:16

Since thus far the PA has only occupied the last 7 years of some 50+ years of listening to music then most of the bands whose albums I have bought in the past seven years I was already aware of before arriving at the door-step of this edifice, for example The Mars Volta, Opeth, Pain of Salvation, To Mera, Evergrey, Orphaned Land, The Gathering, Porcupine Tree, The Flower Kings, Transatlantic, Mostly Autumn, Karnataka, Ozric Tentacles, Kayo Dot, Sigur Rós etc., were already known to me, some of them for many years. 

Than you Dean ... I was starting to lose faith that you and I were the only old foggies around here ...

I was thinking that of the top 100 there were only 5 or 6 bands that I had not heard ... and I STILL have not bothered because there is too much of anything else out there that I can barely keep up with!
For myself it's not so much "not bothered" as overly cautious of any recommendation from other people and somewhat jaded by years of hype, payola and flavour of the month fads. While some people's tastes are perhaps similar to mine it does not follow that I will like everything they like. If we all fawned over the same stuff the world would be an exceedingly dull place, I appreciate the recommendations of others and take pleasure in reading reviews of music that I probably will not like and the opinions of those whose tastes differ radically from mine. Änglagĺrd for example, are a band I know of and have heard, but I ain't ever goin' to buy their albums simply because I don't like their music. 

I've said this before but it is worth repeating - the Top 100 list doesn't mean a damn thing, and it is certainly true to say there isn't a single person living whose own Top 100 would correlate with that list even remotely.

You said that you "tend to allow music to come to me" yet that is as nonsensical as it is incomprehensible because hearing music isn't a passive act. The days when you could browse the racks of LPs in your friendly local record store and buy albums on-spec and unheard because you liked the cover or where intrigued by the song titles are long gone. The music we like to hear cannot be heard on the radio or seen on the telly (unless it's Sigur Rós's music being used as incidental music a documentary or Jónsi's solo work being used to advertise cream cheese or HSBC bank...)

Now you have to actively seek out music to hear it, and if you like what you hear then you buy it.

Clap Bravo, Dean. Hearing music isn't a passive act and that rings so true. One of the greatest things I've heard said at PA. Hearing music is many things for many different people, it involves our mind, body, and spiritual essence in so many ways. It is a  "profound process".
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2015 at 14:35
The list stretches from Algarnas Tradgard to Zu.

Most recently, Sloche's album Stadaconé. What a record!

Edited by Mascodagama - February 22 2015 at 14:36
paragraph7 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2015 at 15:23
Well obviously PA has brought to me a lot of good music, but if I were to state only the real absolute favorites I've found from the site, they would be:

Änglagĺrd - Hybris
PFM - (any album)
Eloy - Ocean
Robert Wyatt - Rock Bottom
Van Der Graaf Generator & Peter Hammill solo works - Any album
King Crimson - Larks, Lizard & Red
Mike Oldfield - Ommadawn, this was actually nice since my knowledge of him was limited to Tubular Bells. Ommadawn is far better, imo.
What you cannot speak of, you have to pass on in silence.
paragraph7 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2015 at 15:29

Indeed. And I sometimes find it really sad when I see and hear people who aren't into broadening their horizons at all. It's like they are letting it all go to waste Dead Well, I guess it's their problem, not mine Tongue
What you cannot speak of, you have to pass on in silence.
Sheavy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2015 at 16:43
I've found tons of wonderful stuff through this site. Some through reviews and some by simply exploring through the website.

I've found many wonderful albums (usually psychedelic or strange albums) through Philippe, Colorofmoney, Guldbamsen, Rivertree, Dobermensch, Damo, and Neu!mann.

Conor, Umur, and Bonnek have lead me to some fantastic metal albums through their reviews.

Then also Mellotron Storm, Holy Moly, Snobb, Clem, Finnforest, and Octopus 4 made small indentations in my wallet.

I couldn't say exactly who got me into what, but I doubt I would have ever found out about Igor Wakhevitch, Maurizio Bianchi, Harold Budd, Boredoms, Masahiko Satoh, Supersister, Gnaw Their Tongues and on and on, had I not found this website.

Edited by Sheavy - February 22 2015 at 16:44
Luis de Sousa View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2015 at 07:50
I have discovered a great deal of good stuff here at PA, but three LPs left a deeper mark:

However, Aural Moon continues to be my major source of discovery. I use PA mostly to guide me through the discography of newly found artists.

someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2015 at 09:23
Dozens and dozens. I owe most (c. 99.8%) of the knowledge - and tastes - I have acquired after 1992 to PA: both 1970s stuff (Gnidrolog - Lady Lake, Indexi - Modra Rijeka, Henry Cow - In Praise of Learning to mention a few) and 21st century albums (with Echolyn's last self-titled, Maudlin of the Well's Part the Second, Big Big Train's English Electric (Part One) and Deluge Grander's Heliotians and August in the Urals) on top.

Edited by someone_else - February 23 2015 at 10:47
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2015 at 10:09
Off the top of my head.....

IQ
Wobbler
Diagonal
Astra
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2015 at 06:29
Explosions In The Sky - Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place, The
Pure Reason Revolution - Dark Third, The
Mr. Bungle    California
Phideaux    Fiendish
Pineapple Thief, The    Variations On A Dream
Parallel Mind    Colossus Adea
Talisma    Corpus
Pineapple Thief, The    Variations On A Dream
No Sound    Sol29
Reasoning, The    Awakening
Gongzilla    Live
Jonas Hellborg    Art Metal
Public Image Ltd.    Compact Disc
Crimson Jazz Trio    King Crimson Songbook Volume 1
Knifeworld    Buried Alive: Tales Of Crushing Defeat
Black Mountain    In The Future
Big Big Train    Underfall Yard, The
Bubu    Anabelas

Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2015 at 06:40
Really too numerous to mention ......... I've had lots of Prog in my life, then along comes Prog Archives. Now I have *lots* more incredible music to enjoy.
Also, when purchasing a vinyl selection, PA never fails to steer me in the right direction....... This site is almost a religion.........
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2015 at 07:02
Clap 
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

I lost count after the first 100

Iván

well said my friend.  The internet and PA's was my gateway into prog beyond the usual English classic suspects.

Before PA's there was no RPI.... Italy was the place where you had awesome food and women too hot to touch
Before PA's there was no Krautrock... Germany was.. well Germany LOL
Before PA's there was no Crossover... it was what I called my weekend journies into the wildside when I'd throw a dress, lipstick, and heels on and go trolling for me to see how many phone numbers I could get. I did play hard to get.. I was such a dick tease.

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
RoeDent View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2015 at 08:48
The band that springs to mind for me is Porcupine Tree. I can't remember exactly how I came to learn of them, but it was a pivotal moment in my personal journey of prog discovery. Steven Wilson is now my favourite musician ever.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2015 at 10:41

You said that you "tend to allow music to come to me" yet that is as nonsensical as it is incomprehensible because hearing music isn't a passive act. The days when you could browse the racks of LPs in your friendly local record store and buy albums on-spec and unheard because you liked the cover or where intrigued by the song titles are long gone. The music we like to hear cannot be heard on the radio or seen on the telly (unless it's Sigur Rós's music being used as incidental music a documentary or Jónsi's solo work being used to advertise cream cheese or HSBC bank...).

I can not say, that when i walked into Rasputin's in Berkeley, that I would find in one afternoon the following ... Pole/Bezombes et Rizet/Roger Chapman- Hyenas/New TD and new KS.

In those days, I walked into a lot of stores, and looked, and more often than not did not find anything that stood out. Guy and I, for example, had, I would suggest, a lot ... A LOT of good intuition on choosing stuff and eventually playing it, specially him for his shows. For me, it was more about also having the music, and augmenting his shows if possible. Trust me ... there was more than one album that hit the trash can because it was simply played because it was better and all that.

That the music came to me, is a way of saying that ... the album was there, and I noticed it, and I got it ... because if I had not noticed, obviously the album would not have "come home".

I have never looked at any of the arts, as a "passive" or "active" engagement. For me, that is almost way too clinical a thought and direction to take and discuss things. I do not "predict", nor do I go out ... thinking that ... ohhh let's stop at Rasputin's and maybe find 3 albums! Or Tower on the strip, or Westwood in the other side of things, and all that ... ohhh, gotta stop by that book store to get the Melody Maker ... and the like.

I, STILL, live by that "uncertainty" these days, and sometimes, just because Dean or Snow Dog said it, I will listen to it, since I tend to be so internal and inside my own person to always be able to hear what you guys say, and sometimes, it is just that ... I didn't hear it!

Music and all the arts, for me, is an active thing, you could say ... but I get emotionally excited about a painting, but it does not make me go out and paint it! Same for music ... I can love it, but I am not capable of going out to play it ... and writing is a different story, but I do not wish, or care to, copy other styles ... that simple ... but I'm not sure that any of this is "visible", anywhere to anyone!

The "freshness" and "excitement" comes ONLY when the music appears and it is just like brand new and it surprises you. BUT, you have to have an open ear for it, or it won't catch you at that time, and might take 25 listens to get you anywhere with it, but for me, other than things that are very hard to read (too much stuff in them) are the only ones that I have a hard time reading ... I can read Huxley just fine, but had to read 10 pages at a time of Castaneda ... and they both have wonderful "stories". But the only "excitement" that works is the one that "takes you away", or the whole experience becomes nothing but a very simple mind exercise ... that you practice once in a while in rehearsal. Might be so for a musician, for you are one, but that is not the case with actors, theater and film, in general, when you can ween much more than just one thing out of it all!

I like the open style of today ... but it makes it really hard to make a call since everyone has an opinion, and sifting through all that to find yourself and your view gets a bit harder than otherwise. It's easy to say that there are no coincidences, and I might, still, one of these days, visit London or Paris (sister in Paris, another in Luxembourg), for the first time in my life ... here I am talking about some art and culture ... and I have never been there! But I read, study and see a lot of movies, listen to a lot of music, and check out the local arts ... and not many folks do that!

For that reason alone, I do not "expect" anything, and I allow things to arrive next to me, if they do. I am not asking, or expecting anything ... it's impossible to do so!

Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
tricksiebzehn View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2015 at 11:35
The "search by land" feature helped me alot to find very interesting prog albums from different countries outside of the well-known. Some excamples would be:

Ananda Shankar - Ananda Shankar and His Music (India)
Los Jaivas - Alturas de Macchu Picchu (Chile)
Flamengo - Kuře v hodinkách (Czech Republic)
Asia Minor - Between Flash and Divine (Turkey)
Tantra - Mistérios e Maravilhas (Portugal)
Гунеш - Вижу Землю (Gunesh - Looking at the Earth - Turkmenistan)
Supay - Confusión (Peru)
Modrý Efekt- Modrý Efekt & Radim Hladík (Czech Republic)
Alphataurus - Alphataurus (Italia)
Nuova Era - Il passo del soldato (Italia)
Rahmann - Rahmann (France)
Haikara - Haikara (Finland)

Great albums but I fell the most are very unknown even among progfans.

I also "find" very good albums through the top rated albums list (like Yes - Close to the Edge and Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick) and find the most very pleasing - except Genesis. No album could convince me. No chance.

Edited by tricksiebzehn - March 01 2015 at 11:39

Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2015 at 12:24
Clap Man it's interesting your curiosity about music from diferent countries. I'd like to know does Supay feels to you, I appreciate very much andean folk music merged with other elements, like from classical music and rock ie, is that the case of this band?

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
tricksiebzehn View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2015 at 12:30
Originally posted by Rick Robson Rick Robson wrote:

Clap Man it's interesting your curiosity about music from diferent countries. I'd like to know does Supay feels to you, I appreciate very much andean folk music merged with other elements, like from classical music and rock ie, is that the case of this band?

Yep, I feel it is. Not super much (I think Los Jaivas do a better Job regarding that) but it's worth a try, at least 3 tracks really got me. Just the keyboards sounds a bit cheesy from time to time (despite not being bad played).

The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2015 at 12:40

You said that you "tend to allow music to come to me" yet that is as nonsensical as it is incomprehensible because hearing music isn't a passive act. The days when you could browse the racks of LPs in your friendly local record store and buy albums on-spec and unheard because you liked the cover or where intrigued by the song titles are long gone. The music we like to hear cannot be heard on the radio or seen on the telly (unless it's Sigur Rós's music being used as incidental music a documentary or Jónsi's solo work being used to advertise cream cheese or HSBC bank...).

For that reason alone, I do not "expect" anything, and I allow things to arrive next to me, if they do. I am not asking, or expecting anything ... it's impossible to do so!

It's quite simple nowadays, really. Even a prattling narcissist like you can take a referral from one of the fine folks at Prog Archive, look up a damn song or two on YouTube and ascertain whether or not you should explore the suggested band further. A few moments of time is all it takes, rather than typing out several paragraphs of obscurant and grammatically wretched exposition.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2015 at 13:22
hahah. Tell us how you really feel man
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>