Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBritish Proto-Prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Poll Question: Which of these do you prefer? (Beatles omitted)
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [8.70%]
6 [26.09%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [4.35%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [4.35%]
1 [4.35%]
1 [4.35%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [13.04%]
0 [0.00%]
8 [34.78%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2015 at 06:58
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

I am a nincompoop yes this I know and to date I still don't not know what proto prog means? Ouch
In our context (and I must stress that), it is any band that produced music that lead to the creation of Progressive Rock as a distinct genre of music in the years prior to 1969. That date is an arbitrary "stick-in-the-ground" to give us a notional reference point (it is not cast in stone). 

You could say, for example, that the early Psychedelic albums by Pink Floyd are Proto-Prog, (especially Saucerful of Secrets), even though they later went on to produce Progressive Rock albums and we would not classify them as a Proto Prog band.

Our "Proto Prog" section is not a musical/musicological subgenre, it is a just a historic classification that acts as a safety net to catch those early bands that didn't "progress" onto becoming fully-fledged Progressive Rock bands.

The problem with going just by a particular sound (such as Hammond-rich keyboards) is that it ignores a lot of artists who did not employ such a sound, and as you point out with the example of "July Morning", miss-classifies Prog Bands that created hammond-heavy music after Prog was established as a genre (Take A Look At Yourself is a 1971 album - it is hard to classify an album that was released in 1971 as Proto Prog).
Dean, I quote you: "Our "Proto Prog" section is not a musical/musicological subgenre, it is a just a historic classification that acts as a safety net to catch those early bands that didn't "progress" onto becoming fully-fledged Progressive Rock bands."
This unfortunately still did not clarify my thick brain what proto prog means Ouch
Not turned into fully fledged prog rock bands, thus were the beach boys proto prog? (before you say no look and listen to this it's fab really Big smile The Beach Boys SMiLE Sessions - Heroes and Villains Music Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptxwWt2JeGQ ? xxxxx
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2015 at 07:06
I missed the fact that the beach boys are not British hihihihi LOL hugs Hug
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2015 at 07:10
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

I am a nincompoop yes this I know and to date I still don't not know what proto prog means? Ouch
Inventing of Proto-prog the term for distinctive sound, historicaly, as I already said: 

(...)
(proto-prog=Hammond organ driven heavy rock that was played on late 60s / early 70s, mainly British, but can be detected in USA and other countries too)

(...)

Proto-prog the term will appear in the mid 70s by the records dealers to firm at their lists that one of Rock (not pop-rock) styles of late 60s / early 70s. As I already said, it was Hammond organ driven, pretty heavy and "greasy" sound (with a mellotron too, but not synths - as a general rule), very often with a touch of Psychedelia, Jazz and Classical music.

The PA's definition of proto-prog writen by Ivan Melgar - Morey:

Quote The denomination Proto Prog comes from the combination of two words, Proto from the Greek The earliest,. and Prog which as we know is a short term for Progressive Rock, so as it's name clearly indicates, refers to the earliest form of Progressive Rock or Progressive Rock in embryonary state.

These bands normally were formed and released albums before Progressive Rock had completely developed (there are some rare Proto Prog bands from the early 70's, because the genre didn't expanded to all the Continents simultaneously

The common elements in all these bands is that they developed one or more elements of Prog, and even when not completely defined as part of the genre, they are without any doubt, an important stage in the evolution of Progressive Rock.

Generally, Proto Prog bands are the direct link between Psyche and Prog and for that reason the Psychedelic components are present in the vast majority of them, but being that Progressive Rock was born from the blending of different genres, we have broadened the definition to cover any band that combined some elements of Progressive Rock with other genres prior to 1970.

Some of these bands evolved and turned into 100% Prog, while others simply choose another path, but their importance and contribution in the formative period of Prog can't be denied, for that reason no Prog site can ignore them.

Kati, it is up to you now what you prefer to accept as your definition Hug
Sventonio, I continue to be confused however atleast you came to a closer definition in terms what it means, even if some disagree xxxx Hug
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2015 at 07:12

Dean, I quote you: "Our "Proto Prog" section is not a musical/musicological subgenre, it is a just a historic classification that acts as a safety net to catch those early bands that didn't "progress" onto becoming fully-fledged Progressive Rock bands."
This unfortunately still did not clarify my thick brain what proto prog means Ouch
Not turned into fully fledged prog rock bands, thus were the beach boys proto prog? (before you say no look and listen to this it's fab really Big smile The Beach Boys SMiLE Sessions - Heroes and Villains Music Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptxwWt2JeGQ ? xxxxx
LOL I'm not going to get drawn into another endless, fruitless and pointless debate on The Beach Boys. They were an influential band that is not to be denied and the (staged) rivalry between Wilson and The Beatles cannot be ignored. But I cannot regard them as being specifically influential on the formation of Progressive Rock as a genre. Also, as you have since spotted, by being American they are not subject to this particular poll.

If you cannot see why some bands are called Proto on the PA and others are not then stop worrying about it. Rejoice in the ones we have listed and listen to their music for what it is - great music - if we went by a purely musicological (Record Fair) definition many of those bands wouldn't be on the site at all.

btw: I am not going to ask you to play "favourites" - there are two distinct definitions for two distinctly different purposes  - both are valid but only one applies here.
What?
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2015 at 07:28

LOL I'm not going to get drawn into another endless, fruitless and pointless debate on The Beach Boys. They were an influential band that is not to be denied and the (staged) rivalry between Wilson and The Beatles cannot be ignored. But I cannot regard them as being specifically influential on the formation of Progressive Rock as a genre. Also, as you have since spotted, by being American they are not subject to this particular poll.

If you cannot see why some bands are called Proto on the PA and others are not then stop worrying about it. Rejoice in the ones we have listed and listen to their music for what it is - great music - if we went by a purely musicological (Record Fair) definition many of those bands wouldn't be on the site at all.

btw: I am not going to ask you to play "favourites" - there are two distinct definitions for two distinctly different purposes  - both are valid but only one applies here.

hihihi Dean. true all you said plus The Beatles were at the forefront of progressive moozik :) the white album for instance they did whatever they wanted. But Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club was the first and foremost unique progressive album at the time, no one even imagined that. xxxxx
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2015 at 07:36
Anyway, enough of that nonsense.

Another band that is of interest is Hapshash & The Coloured Coat, though their music is perhaps a lot less well known than their art, which was far more influential and popular. Few people have probably ever heard their music but we can all recognise the posters and album covers they created for other people:

Big smile

So, to their Proto-Prog music:

Just listen to this track from 1967:

Sorry there's no Hammond organ there, nor is it "greasy" sounding - but doesn't that invoke the spirit of Krautrock (two years before it came out of Germany) Approve

What?
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2015 at 07:44

Anyway, enough of that nonsense.

Another band that is of interest is Hapshash & The Coloured Coat, though their music is perhaps a lot less well known than their art, which was far more influential and popular. Few people have probably ever heard their music but we can all recognise the posters and album covers they created for other people:

Big smile

So, to their Proto-Prog music:

Just listen to this track from 1967:

Sorry there's no Hammond organ there, nor is it "greasy" sounding - but doesn't that invoke the spirit of Krautrock (two years before it came out of Germany) Approve

Oh yes I see what you mean with the artwork, the music however Confused
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2015 at 07:51
Ha! I cheated and googled a proto band thus found this but still not sure if I like it although I like the guitar tune on my right and rhythm guitar center. Nah no don't like this, I do like music with harmonies but nah not this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jvD1SdoqTo
hihihi guitar now almost Al DiMeola but not, actually it gets better now the song. Ha! Yay I DO LIKE THIS! I DO!
They are weird.

Edited by Kati - March 25 2015 at 07:52
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2015 at 07:54

Ha! I cheated and googled a proto band thus found this but still not sure if I like it although I like the guitar tune on my right and rhythm guitar center. Nah no don't like this, I do like music with harmonies but nah not this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jvD1SdoqTo
hihihi guitar now almost Al DiMeola but not, actually it gets better now the song. Ha! Yay I DO LIKE THIS! I DO!
They are weird.
changed my mind they are very sharp, one or two tracks had enough now.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2015 at 07:59

Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

(proto-prog=Hammond organ driven heavy rock that was played on late 60s / early 70s, mainly British, but can be detected in USA and other countries too)

That is the most daft and incorrect definition for proto-prog I have ever heard. I think we went through this before on this forum and decided you didn't know what you were talking about. It doesn't get any better the second time around.
Hammond organ driven, is July Morning original here with Ken Hensley proto prog? I bet I sound like an idiot I know. I am the worst ninny sorry Stern Smile but am very curious tho' xxx
Kati, the word PROTO in proto-prog the term at the time when the term "proto-prog" was invented in mid 70s by the records dealers to firm that late 60s / early 70s heavy rock with a touch od psych, jazz and classical music, meant not earliest prog" nor some "-yet-in-fully-prog" stuff.
It's like *symphonic rock* the term; "symphonic" actually doesn't mean that a symphony orchestra playing along with a band nor when a band playing the covers of Classical music pieces in the form of rock music. So that the "proto-prog" sound (term) - which in some cases we called *heavy prog* due to hell of reasons - actually was the style of Rock (not pop-rock) with heavy, sumptuously played, mainly long songs with long solos but without synthesizers (I repeat what I said earlier in this thread: no synths was a general rule - if the music contains synths it wasn't called "proto-prog") can be detected easily  after In the Court of the Crimson King  the album release dateup to 'til the mid seventies - and even in UK Hug

Edited by Svetonio - March 25 2015 at 08:00
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2015 at 08:01
found another so-called proto song, certainly not helping me in liking what I still cannot tell what it is, except thinking so far all songs the notes are sharp, lack warmth, lacking bass guitar tunes etc, all very blunt and not nice clear in my opinion Ouchhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKroSJti39I

Edited by Kati - March 25 2015 at 08:02
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2015 at 08:05

Personally I love Art Nouveau so their psychedelic re-imagining of the Beardsley, Mucha and Klimt (and even Rackham) is always going to appeal to me. As artists they were hugely influential in 1960s London and on the Psychedelic scene, inspiring the psychedelic imagery & fashion of The Beatles, The Stones and Hendrix and many more besides.

I'm not surprised you didn't care for the music since you've not given any indication that you like avant prog or Krautrock music in general.

Prog is a very broad church and so by that any notion of proto- is going to be even broader. Few people like every aspect of Progressive Rock so it is to be expected that not everyone will like what influenced the formation of Progressive Rock. Every facet of what we think of as Progressive Rock draws its influence from somewhere and so restricting the idea of Proto-Prog to one identifying sound or style of music simply doesn't make archaeological sense, even if a nice tidy definition makes sense to people who sell and collect used vinyl.

Edited by Dean - March 25 2015 at 08:06
What?
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2015 at 08:06

That is the most daft and incorrect definition for proto-prog I have ever heard. I think we went through this before on this forum and decided you didn't know what you were talking about. It doesn't get any better the second time around.
Hammond organ driven, is July Morning original here with Ken Hensley proto prog? I bet I sound like an idiot I know. I am the worst ninny sorry Stern Smile but am very curious tho' xxx
Kati, the word PROTO in proto-prog the term at the time when the term "proto-prog" was invented in mid 70s by the records dealers to firm that late 60s / early 70s heavy rock with a touch od psych, jazz and classical music, meant not "earliest prog" nor some "non-formed-yet-in-fully-prog" stuff.
It's like *symphonic rock* the term; "symphonic" actually doesn't mean that a symphony orchestra playing along with a band nor when a band playing the covers of Classical music pieces in the form of rock music. So that the "proto-prog" sound (term) - which in some cases we called *heavy prog* due to hell of reasons - actually was the style of Rock (not pop-rock) with heavy, sumptuously played, mainly long songs with long solos but without synthesizers (I repeat what I said earlier in this thread: no synths was a general rule - if the music contains synths it wasn't called "proto-prog") can be detected easily  after In the Court of the Crimson King  the album release dateup to 'til the mid seventies - and even in UK Hug
Oh no Sventonio besides the above you mentioned I have found no similarities to jazz that has heavy bass influence plus has tunes. I found this lacking so far in terms of what I found in bands related to proto-prog. Hug
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2015 at 08:19
Just to further pop the bubble of preconception and narrow definitions.

Hapshash's 1967 debut album was called "Hapshash and the Coloured Coat Featuring The Human Host And The Heavy Metal Kids"

Wink
What?
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2015 at 08:20

Kati, the word PROTO in proto-prog the term at the time when the term "proto-prog" was invented in mid 70s by the records dealers to firm that late 60s / early 70s heavy rock with a touch od psych, jazz and classical music, meant not earliest prog" nor some "-yet-in-fully-prog" stuff.
Oh no Sventonio besides the above you mentioned I have found no similarities to jazz that has heavy bass influence plus has tunes. I found this lacking so far in terms of what I found in bands related to proto-prog. Hug
Oh and that song of which I posted the link as an example of proto-prog sound in my previous post is from the album released in 1975 by British "super-group" called Armageddon - already in PA as a heavy prog act LOL Hug

Edited by Svetonio - March 25 2015 at 08:23
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2015 at 08:30

Personally I love Art Nouveau so their psychedelic re-imagining of the Beardsley, Mucha and Klimt (and even Rackham) is always going to appeal to me. As artists they were hugely influential in 1960s London and on the Psychedelic scene, inspiring the psychedelic imagery & fashion of The Beatles, The Stones and Hendrix and many more besides.

I'm not surprised you didn't care for the music since you've not given any indication that you like avant prog or Krautrock music in general.

Prog is a very broad church and so by that any notion of proto- is going to be even broader. Few people like every aspect of Progressive Rock so it is to be expected that not everyone will like what influenced the formation of Progressive Rock. Every facet of what we think of as Progressive Rock draws its influence from somewhere and so restricting the idea of Proto-Prog to one identifying sound or style of music simply doesn't make archaeological sense, even if a nice tidy definition makes sense to people who sell and collect used vinyl.

True Dean I do not know nor do enjoy Kraurock so far I know, but to sum me up in short, my favorite songs are Salisbury and July Morning by Uriah Heep, Roundabout by Yes, Parents by Budgie,  Carpet Crawlers and the knife by- Genesis,   Lynyrd Skynyrd - Freebird, King Crimson - Starless and Epithap, Al DiMeola - Race with the devil on a Spanish highway, Tom Waits - "Hold On", etc plus all if not all most songs by Corvus Stone, Pain of Salvation, The Beatles, Pink Floyd, early before 80's Bowie, Roger Waters, Miles Davis etc. Big smileBig smile   

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2015 at 08:34

Oh and that song of which I posted the link as an example of proto-prog sound in my previous post is from the album released in 1975 by British "super-group" called Armageddon - already in PA as a heavy prog act LOL Hug
Which blows clean out of the water any notion of it being "Proto-Prog" just because of how it sounds to you. Such a suggestion does a disservice to the band, the memory of Keith Relf, and other heavy rock artists such as Steamhammer and Warhorse (none of whom would be listed here as Proto Prog).
What?
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2015 at 08:39

Which blows clean out of the water any notion of it being "Proto-Prog" just because of how it sounds to you. Such a suggestion does a disservice to the band, the memory of Keith Relf, and other heavy rock artists such as Steamhammer and Warhorse (none of whom would be listed here as Proto Prog).
You both made my perception of proto prog zero in what it possibly might be. Confused I'll ignore that term and think it's anything without orchestration plus warm tunes. Big smile
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2015 at 09:08

You both made my perception of proto prog zero in what it possibly might be. Confused I'll ignore that term and think it's anything without orchestration plus warm tunes. Big smile
It's very simple actually. Originaly, "Proto-prog" is the term for heavy Rock sound  without much of blues, without a pop-rock, without synths as a general rule ( i.e. rock music with kraut-like electronics could not be originally called "proto-prog", though Hammond organ, Mellotron, violin, harmonica etc. are welcome), but with fast rhythm & long songs that were singing by great Rock  "screamers", with infinity guitar solos played by huge number of Rock guitar masters of late 60s / early 70s, and with a touch of psych, sometimes also jazz and classical music.  That's PROTO-PROGHug

p.s. One of the best Yugoslav proto-prog style songs ever recorded:

Edited by Svetonio - March 25 2015 at 09:24
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2015 at 09:17

It's not a perception, but a calculated reassessment on what bands actually helped in the formation of prog rock (hence the term proto-prog, "proto" meaning "first" and "common ancestor"). "Greasy" Hammond-playing "heavy rock" did not in any way lead to progressive rock movement as we consider it (usually beginning with In the Court of the Crimson King as a specific demarcation point); therefore, bands like The Moody Blues, Procol Harum, The Nice, Giles, Giles & Fripp, and even The Beatles can be considered progenitors of prog -- BECAUSE THEY STARTED BEFORE THE ACTUAL PROG MOVEMENT WAS RECOGNIZED (that whole "proto" thing), and not like the 70s bands we formally recognize as prog like King Crimson, Yes, Genesis, Jethro Tull (post-Mick Abraham blues), ELP, Floyd (after their psychedelic excursions), etc.

So, one can't be "proto-prog" after "prog" came into existence, no matter what Svetty says.

Deep Purple can also be considered proto-prog, but not for the "greasy Hammond" sound Svetty is so enamored with. Rather, the baroque compositions, long instrumental passages and excerpts from classical composers (such as on The Book Of Taliesyn album) are what make Deep Purple "proto-prog" (not to mention Jon Lord's Concerto for Group and Orchestra recorded September 24, 1969). By the 70s Deep Purple retained some progginess but had pretty much slipped off into hard rock, particularly by the Machine Head album.

Svetty's definition is flawed because it does not take into account the music and the bands that actually led up to Prog. The earth is not flat, scientists have long ago reassessed the curvature of the earth and changed the science books to reflect that reassessment. The earth is still flat in Svetty's world.

Edited by The Dark Elf - March 25 2015 at 09:18
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>