Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAmon Duul II bonus tracks

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Amon Duul II bonus tracks
    Posted: February 23 2015 at 20:17
Just bought a handful of ADII CD's, the 2006/2007 Revisited releases.  The liner notes give no information regarding the bonus tracks on each CD.  I'd at least like to know when the tracks were recorded.  Anyone know where I can go to research this?
Neu!mann View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2015 at 11:38
The bonus tracks TouchMaPhal and I Want the Sun to Shine aren't '70s recordings, that's for sure. But the exact dates are unconfirmed: Wikipedia says they were played around 1985; another source says they date from March/April 2006...which makes more sense: it would have been just before the Revisited re-release, and the two tracks are supposedly exclusive to this issue.

I myself own the 2001 Repertoire Records CD, with the four-part Freak Out Requiem bonus tracks...which I was perplexed to find are only edits of some of Tanz der Lemminge jams.
"we can change the world without anyone noticing the difference" - Franco Falsini
Neu!mann View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2015 at 11:40
(the above info references the Phallus Dei album re-issue, by the way...)
"we can change the world without anyone noticing the difference" - Franco Falsini
Renfield View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2015 at 20:41
Thanks for the response.  Yes, some of the bonus cuts have a modern production sound, so it was my guess that they were not "vintage".  Shouldn't matter really, but I just like to have some context when I listen to stuff.  I'll appreciate any insight anyone can provide, or links or so on.

I've had the 2001 release of Yeti for many years, and am just now catching up on the rest.  
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2015 at 09:57

Hi,

I didn't write on this before, as I needed 2 days to re-think what I wanted to write.  It is no secret to anyone that this is the band I have always loved the most, and forever will. However, amidst all their upheaval that supposedly brought us such great music, there has always been an undercurrent that was not good, at least the way I saw things and understood them.

A few years back, I was looking for "Utopia" on CD, and another copy of "Nada Moonshine #" which had finally hit the skids for me and I wanted another copy. I had never found a CD copy of "Utopia" that went under $100 which was ridiculous! But one email to the AD2 website, got a response that was bad ... "b*****d' was the word that was given to that album and its existence, and in it was at least one piece that had been used before, and AD2 brought it out in a couple of live shows, all of which were ridiculously poor and did not give the original any credit or favors. There also is other stuff in that album that is really nice and special, even a little jazz piece that is tasty as heck, even if it is nowehere near the AD2 flavor at the time!

Sadly, what was evident and shown later, in their albums, is that there was a lot of bad blood and feeling that these folks never got clear on. Stupidly, and pathetically, just like you and I, they were not capable of clearing the air and appreciate their younger days, when they created some amazingly outstanding music! This is sad ... it's like saying that your younger days were stupid, and there is no such thing. It all adds up to today and what you do, and for all intents and purposes, they threw it all away. The band that was so good at theatrical improvisations, all of a sudden could only write songs, and did not even know how to extend a piece anymore. And when they did, it was not focused and the best you could get was Renate going crazy and angry about something or other that ... you and I go ... so what? The serenity of the MM soundtrack and the iconic visual images of "Yeti" and other pieces, all but gone, lost in a haze, they all went to the Big Bear ... in their skybikes! We could not grow up past being children and appreciate our own childhood!

Almost all the bits and pieces here and there, are re-hashes of stuff that has been done before, and even though it pains me to say so, this band lost it 30 years ago, and they do not have the inner desire or ability to hug each other and say thank you, and appreciate the amount of work they did, regardless of how each and everyone of them feels about it.

It makes the 60's and 70's "revolution" worthless ... you fought for nothing ... it meant nothing, except that you were all so ripped and stoned that it didnot make any difference. All of a sudden the stuff that was released from AD1 seems to be much more interesting and attractive ... they, at least, did not pretent to mean something or other that was not there! For some of us, it was not BAD at all ... it provided a nice frame of focus, that otherwise most ignored and went on to spend their time getting stoned and leaving trash behind ... and totally ignoring the song that wabeing played over it ... that's pride for you ... you don't care ... and AD2 became the most disappointing symbol I have ever seen of a generation that spent its time stabbing and cutting each other and then ... it's over!  It's like there was nothing to learn!

Sorry to sound bad, AD2, but there is no hate here. Just a sad exposition of my feelings and how this band fell apart. Hatred kills, and destroys creativity ... and this band lost it ... and was not able, or have the intuition to help bring it back to life ... they wanted it to die. And die hard, ugly and bad, it did!

Edited by moshkito - March 02 2015 at 09:40
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply