Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhen ELP Jumped the Shark

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2015 at 01:33

^Brain Salad Surgery was 1973

I think people often confuse 'cheesy' with 'tacky'. ELP were more the latter. BSS had more synths and that gives it a more tacky sound. In terms of music KE9 takes up most of the album and that was a 3 part rock symphony and the very point of being a prog band. I think that album would have been better if they could have incorporated Toccata into the main suite and only put out the rest out as an EP. That would have been a bold move and perhaps a step too far even for ELP. In the end Yes beat them to the punch.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2015 at 05:20
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

^Brain Salad Surgery was 1973

I think people often confuse 'cheesy' with 'tacky'. ELP were more the latter. BSS had more synths and that gives it a more tacky sound. In terms of music KE9 takes up most of the album and that was a 3 part rock symphony and the very point of being a prog band. I think that album would have been better if they could have incorporated Toccata into the main suite and only put out the rest out as an EP. That would have been a bold move and perhaps a step too far even for ELP. In the end Yes beat them to the punch.

I think you're right and where people get 'cheesy' from ostentatious or at worst grandiose, beats me. ELP epitomised the stellar heights and dungeon depths that Prog was capable of but they were the antithesis of a cheapness or low quality that 'cheesy' implies. Strange how those innovators who actually invented the cliches exploited by those who followed in their wake, are accused of slavishly copying same. (Dylan is another example of this)
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2015 at 13:42
Karn-Evil 9 (well 1st Impression anyway) WAS their finest work (although I think that Tarkus and Pictures at an Exhibition push it fairly close!) - However - Yes battered it into a top-hat with Tales from Topographic Oceans - surely THE TARGET for all those sneering mid 70's music critics, who (because they were PAID to do so) destroyed the musicians who were actually playing music for themselves (and to a certain degree the fans who weren't interested in being told what to like). TFTO - stands aloft - like those kings at the entrance to Gondor in Lord of the rings...spanning 70's prog.....Only in the last ten years have prog bands (again) begun to lengthen the songs and explore their virtuosity.....
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2015 at 14:09
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Karn-Evil 9 (well 1st Impression anyway) WAS their finest work (although I think that Tarkus and Pictures at an Exhibition push it fairly close!) - However - Yes battered it into a top-hat with Tales from Topographic Oceans - surely THE TARGET for all those sneering mid 70's music critics, who (because they were PAID to do so) destroyed the musicians who were actually playing music for themselves (and to a certain degree the fans who weren't interested in being told what to like). TFTO - stands aloft - like those kings at the entrance to Gondor in Lord of the rings...spanning 70's prog.....Only in the last ten years have prog bands (again) begun to lengthen the songs and explore their virtuosity.....

Clapwell said M27Barney my votes with youLOL
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2015 at 00:39
This is very amusing to me - I don't think these guys ever 'jumped the shark' - some missteps along the way, they did change their approach with Works and Love Beach. Still within the Prog mould, but moving with the times. Their weakest for me is Hot Seat, of which only the title-cut held promise, the rest was an entire 'press next' exercise, and I HATE CD's. Loved the bonus Piccies recording though. Even Black Moon fared well with my ears.
I think the shark in question was jumped with verve by Genesis, somewhere between Then There Were Three and Duke. Still, they paid lip-service to Prog-lovers, but in a more commercially viable 80's context. Many folks never knew of Genesis' existence before 'That's All'..........
Having said, I adore that Genesis S/T from 1983....................
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2015 at 01:06
I think its more a case of 'how many sharks can you jump?' as pointed out on the previous page . ELP were the shark jumping prog band of the seventies Smile
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2015 at 01:31
Well perhaps the tiger on stage was a bit of a shark-jumping...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12