Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHand. Cannot. Erase. Poll.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: which song is your fav one from recent SW album?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [4.35%]
7 [15.22%]
3 [6.52%]
1 [2.17%]
8 [17.39%]
0 [0.00%]
6 [13.04%]
1 [2.17%]
14 [30.43%]
3 [6.52%]
1 [2.17%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2015 at 13:53
The album's decent. No better.

In fact, you know something's up when SWilson's foray into electronic rock isn't as up to snuff as Archive's release this year, Restriction.

Opener's the best track.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2015 at 14:07
Well I absolutely love it but then that's on the first listen. Raven as much as I like it is weirdly 'ordinary' or perhaps 'trite' could be a better description despite its ambition. This on the other hand goes in so many directions that I would have a much harder time describing some of the tracks. Also this grabs me emotionally while at times I felt a bit detached with Raven. Almost had me thinking this could have been Deadwing Part 2 , that being the album that drew me into his music in the first place. Picking a track is hard but my first instinct is to go for Regret #9 for the great synth solo , the best I've heard for a long time. Shades of Rick Wright-Wish You Were Here era for certain.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2015 at 15:34
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

It's a Steven Wilson album so it automatically gets five stars no matter how good or bad it sounds, and is guaranteed to bring bliss to all prog fans. Just like The Endless River.
End of review. 

LOL

Well....I am a fan of all the PT albums especially the earlier ones but the Wilson ones never appealed to me as much. I have yet to buy Raven and I have listened to this new one on you tube and it's not knocking my socks off. I would like to see him get back with the PT members and do another album like Signify, In Absentia, or Stupid Dream.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2015 at 21:28
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Originally posted by Metalmarsh89 Metalmarsh89 wrote:

No one in my town sells this CD. Unhappy

Guess I'll have to order it on Amazon.

Correct.....prog anything is non-existent in the PNW. Screamo-thrash metal and pop-metal is big tho

Well, I guess I am lucky that there's usually at least a bit of prog on the store that I usually visit. They usually have at least the latest Steven Wilson/PT albums (right now they have cover versions and the Drive Home EP). Of course they have a bit of Pink Floyd, Yes, Dream Theater and Rush too, and from time to time they have some things from Genesis, King Crimson, ELP, Jethro Tull, and if they were to release something new, they would surely stock it. They also usually have the latest from Transatlantic, Riverside, Opeth, Marillion. However, they have been diminishing the amount they have. Before, they had some of the back discography from many of this bands, but lately they have gotten more wary about it. They used to have the whole discography of Pink Floyd, Yes, Dream Theater, PT, Rush, I think even Frank Zappa (whom I have not seen there anymore). They used to have some back discography from Rick Wakeman, Gentle Giant, Camel too, now I think they have nothing from them. I even got one or two RPI albums there.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2015 at 21:35
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

It's a Steven Wilson album so it automatically gets five stars no matter how good or bad it sounds, and is guaranteed to bring bliss to all prog fans. Just like The Endless River.
End of review. 

LOL

(...) I would like to see him get back with the PT members and do another album like Signify, In Absentia, or Stupid Dream.
Me too.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2015 at 21:39

End of review. 
I'm not a big PF's fanatic nor SW's fanatic and for these ears The Endless River is a far better album than Hand. Cannot. Erease.

Edited by Svetonio - March 01 2015 at 21:41
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2015 at 22:01
I like this album better than his previous 3.  Can't pick a fave track yet though.

ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2015 at 06:19

End of review. 

Yes, it is a bit rich coming from me but you're clearly trolling here, being more than a tad polemical here (and I'm not even a Steven Wilson fan) I've only heard Hand. Cannot. Erase twice but I think it suffers the same inconsistencies that spoiled Raven i.e. I really think Wilson needs a break, the cracks are starting to show, too many simultaneous projects/remixing tasks, he's clearly overworked...(but still a hugely talented individual/control freak) I didn't vote, there's more than enough knee jerk reactionaries around here.

Edited by ExittheLemming - March 02 2015 at 06:21
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2015 at 11:26

End of review. 

"People have to believe you care before they care what you believe."
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2015 at 11:46
^You responded to my post, so you obviously care. Sometimes silence is a better response.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2015 at 11:49
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

End of review. 

Yes, it is a bit rich coming from me but you're clearly trolling here, being more than a tad polemical here (and I'm not even a Steven Wilson fan) I've only heard Hand. Cannot. Erase twice but I think it suffers the same inconsistencies that spoiled Raven i.e. I really think Wilson needs a break, the cracks are starting to show, too many simultaneous projects/remixing tasks, he's clearly overworked...(but still a hugely talented individual/control freak) I didn't vote, there's more than enough knee jerk reactionaries around here.
And if I didn't thrash this sacred offering from the Prog gods Ian, then who in PA would?

Trolling or just the plain truth?

There was once a commonly told fable called the Emperor's new clothes. Does it ring a bell?

Edited by SteveG - March 03 2015 at 11:58
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2015 at 11:50
I agree, you should have been quiet. Now back to the POLL.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2015 at 11:52
^oh, I forgot that the truth hurts sometimes. My apologies. Carry on then.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2015 at 12:32
I haven't heard the album (though I eventually will, even if just for curiosity's sake), but I tend to side with Steve regarding the widespread SW worship. Personally, I think there are a lot of bands/artists currently active on the prog scene that are as talented as he is, and a lot of albums released in the past five years or so that are more interesting than any of SW's (or Porcupine Tree's, for that matter) albums. However, I am smart enough to realize I am in the minority on this particular issue.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2015 at 12:37
This thread is a poll for his latest album's contents. It is not a thread to bash his popularity or music. I am sure there are threads already existing for that discussion. These are the kind of posts which derail threads. Negative.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2015 at 13:25
^I thought this poll was a place to comment on Wilson's current work. If member's perspectives are involved in determining the quality of that current work, then those perspectives are relevant to the criticism.

I'll go a bit further and emphasize that I still purchase all the music I comment on. Once that purchase is enacted, I have the right  to truthfully voice my like or dislike for said artist's work, regardless if people want to hear it or not.

Furthermore, those that feel intimidated to voice displeasure at an artist's work, for fear of the going against a majority opinion, fail in their responsibility to critique such art. 

In case I didn't make myself clear, there are no songs on this album that are worth voting for. A poll was proposed and I answered it truthfully. Believe it or not, truthful criticism is a sign that someone cares.

Edited by SteveG - March 03 2015 at 15:23
ole-the-first View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2015 at 13:39
Voted for Routine.

This album is way better than Raven. Can't say if it's better than Grace for Drowning or Insurgentes, but it's definitely a great work and one of his best albums. And lyrically, the concept itself is surely his best work.

Never understood moanings from people who want porcupine Tree to reunite, Wilson's solo work is a clear continuation of Porcupine Tree in every possible way. And a major improvement since then as well. And I'm rather surprised by all the hatred towards electronic sound. Men, it' progressive rock, not the repeating of what's been created back in 1969. Have you ever heard of Avant-Prog, Progressive Electronic, Krautrock etc?

Edited by ole-the-first - March 03 2015 at 13:40
This night wounds time.
snowsnow View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2015 at 13:49
This could well overtake The Sky Moves Sideways and Voyage 34 as my favourite Wilson album. I enjoyed Raven but I think that has more variety.

Voted for Ancestral - but plenty of competition from a number of the tracks.
ole-the-first View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2015 at 13:49
Overall I'm happy that Wilson returned to more modern sound instead of trying to repeat Genesis (which are not just unrepeatable, but doesn't need any repeat). The Raven was terribly overrated here. Even although the songwriting was on pretty high level there, it wasn't Wilson's best work, methinks. It had virtually nothing new to say.
This night wounds time.
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2015 at 18:25
Deluxe edition?  Worth the extra cake? 

How's the documentary? 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>