FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBest music recorded before 1950

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best music recorded before 1950
    Posted: February 24 2015 at 21:08
This is specifically meant for anything but classical music, considering most more or less well known compositions have been re-recorded over and over and listening to a super old recording of it isn't any more interesting than a modern recording, for the most part.

Lately I've been listening to a lot of old music from the early 20th century, blues and folk, especially. I've neglected that time, for the most part, so far, but I really like a lot of the stuff I've heard.
So please share some of the best albums recorded, or even released, during that time!

Robert Johnson - The Complete Recordings; you know who he is. Incredible guitarist and performer. Enough said.
 Hank Williams - insert compilation here (some spillage into the early 50s); classic stuff. The man could write a really good, understated track.
 VA - The Alan Lomax Collection Sampler (fair amount post 1950 but enough to consider it); inherited from my grandfather. I should really listen to more of Alan's many recordings but from this sampler, alone, it's clear that he did an amazing service to the world by getting these people heard. Some incredible, incredible tunes, here.
 VA - Anthology of American Folk Music; various 78s Harry Smith collected (illegally, initially) on a six record set, now pretty legendary among certain music enthusiasts, and incredibly influential on the folk music revival. A lot of variety (and some great tracks) keeps it interesting.
 Skip James - The Complete 1931 Session; while very much retaining the spirit of his delta contemporaries, he feels fairly unique in his great ear for an appealing melody. Some of his tunes feel a bit too messy for my taste (sh*tty recording quality doesn't help), but overall great.
 Woody Guthrie - Dust Bowl Ballads; Incredibly poignant yet understated songs about an incredibly tough time in American history. Half way between a reporter on and half way a victim of intense hardships. Not all his songs are my favorite but he really shines on some and it's obvious why (and that) he was such an influence on Dylan.
 Trío Aguilillas - Sones of Mexico (possibly very early 50s); some solid compositions of the mexican folk tradition, with some really good performances (look out for the electrifying violin solo on Sones of Veracruz).
 VA - I Listen to the Wind That Obliterates My Traces; done by Dust-to-Digital records, who specialize in preserving old recordings and photographs. Very eclectic one, including a number of sound effect records (birds singing, walking on ice, etc.). Not always great but the various highlights make it woth it.
 VA - Goodbye, Babylon; Another Dust-to-Digital. Still only a third through this one but some very solid stuff. Five dics of old gospel, one disc of sermons from the time. Some of the tunes fall flat (Bible-centric lyrics don't save them, ironically), but I'm expecting to enjoy it well.

Edited by Ozark Soundscape - February 24 2015 at 21:11
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2015 at 22:00
So much Delta Blues, man. Biggest aside from the aforementioned Robert Johnson would be the original recordings by Son House. POWERFUL listens. But you can go on and on.

Also, from jazz, Birth of The Cool, or at least two thirds of it anyways. But it's excellent.
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2015 at 23:05
Cab Calloway

Magma America Great Make Again
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2015 at 23:47
Anything by Django....

CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2015 at 03:03
^Django Reinhardt... with Stéphane Grapelli on violin! Never forget Grapelli, the man who brought violin in jazz music.
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2015 at 05:24
Here's a 1900-1949 poll that I did a couple of years ago
rotten hound of the burnie crew
sublime220 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2015 at 08:15
Woody Guthrie - Dust Bowl Ballads
Also anything that John Cage recorded but that might be considered classical.
There is no dark side in the moon, really... Matter of fact, it's all dark...
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2015 at 08:49
    The best classical music recordings are those made before 1950.

But to answer your question, I would say a nod to jazz band leader Artie Shaw, with his "Gramercy Five" Sessions from the 1940s, and jazz band leader Woody Herman's recordings from just after WW2.
 Post Reply Post Reply