FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedChance Thrift Prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chance Thrift Prog
    Posted: February 25 2015 at 21:29
While most of my prog collection is sought-and-bought,  I have found old prog/prog related cassettes and/or CD's at thrift stores, garage sales, flea markets, library sales, bargain bins, and swap meets--usually at very cheap prices (if not free), and I'll usually pick them up. These albums are by CHANCE, I never know what I'll find (and usually don't find anything of interest on any one visit).  I've found its a great way to sample music generally, and over the years I've amassed several thrift cassettes and CD's! (I don't collect vinyl, but may in the future). Some of these albums I've listened to once or twice and tossed aside, but others I've found are pretty decent and I keep them on hand for more listens, including:

Stormwatch -- Jethro Tull
The Final Cut -- Pink Floyd
Can't Buy a Thrill -- Steeley Dan
9012Live -- Yes
Fugazi -- Marillion
Rage for Order -- Queensryche
Flaming Star -- Sally Oldfield
Streets, A Rock Opera -- Savatage
Cured -- Steve Hackett
Hergest Ridge -- Mike Oldfield
Free Fall -- Dixie Dregs
Peter Gabriel -- Peter Gabriel
The Low Spark of High-Heeled Boys -- Traffic
The Birth of Cool -- Miles Davis
Works, Volume II -- ELP (but unfortunately only Disk 2).
Child is Father to the Man -- Blood, Sweat & Tears
Encores, Legends, and Paradox; A Tribute to the Music of ELP -- (Various)

Sometimes I've found more than one from the same band, often together in the same place (most of which I like at least fairly well) including:

Four albums of Shadowfax, including their best: Watercourse Way
Three albums of Jean-luc Ponty
Three albums of Pat Metheney
Four Albums (cassettes) of the Moody Blues
Three Genesis albums
Three CDs of Kate Bush
Three Chicago CDs
Three Tori Amos CDs
Two Rush albums
Two Herbie Hancock CDs and one cassette
Two King Crimson CDs
Two CDs of The Pentangle
Two Opeth CDs
Two Queen albums
Two Vangelis albums
Two Beatles albums

...and I'm sure there's more I'm not thinking of at the moment

Anyone else do this?? Have you discovered good or great artists/albums this way?

Edited by zwordser - February 12 2016 at 11:09
Z
sublime220 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2015 at 21:46
All the time. It's my favourite way to find them too. Hard, but it feels really good afterwards for some reason in ways I cannot describe properly. You've also got a nice collection up there. Shadowfax, man, I thought they had disappeared from everyone's brains. Amazing band, truly.
There is no dark side in the moon, really... Matter of fact, it's all dark...
Floyd Steely View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2015 at 22:25
There's nothing better than finding an incredible bargain in the bins. I've paid $20+ for a disc plenty of times, but getting something for nothing is the more memorable event.
On New Years Day 2015, I stopped by a local thrift shop, not even knowing if it'd be open. Besides a few non-musical treasures, I scored a near-pristine copy of Pink Floyd's Pulse for a dollar. (Not to mention a near-mint 25th Anniversary Edition double-CD of Paul McCartney and Wings' Band on the Run, also for a dollar.)

I also recall visiting a Reckless Records in Chicago and picking up two CDs I didn't think I'd like much (but did!): Magnification by Yes for $1.99 and ELP's Tarkus for $2.99.

Oh yeah, a couple months back I stopped into a store and saw Focus III used for $7. Three days later, I came back fully intending to buy that CD. It wasn't until I set it down by the register that I realized it had now been marked down to $2. I felt a bit guilty paying so little when I'd have gladly paid the previous price.
And if you can't be with the prog you love, honey, love the prog you're with.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2015 at 22:30
A few years ago, my wife found The Decemberists' The Crane Wife in a Rite-Aid Pharmacy discount CD bin and bought it for me. To this day we are unsure how it got there.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2015 at 00:43
I picked up Wind & Wuthering as well as Asia Minor's Between Flesh and Divine (a real find!) from the dollar bin at a record store once.  I also found Alive in an Ultra World by Steve Vai for a couple of bucks at a thrift shop.  I always look when I can, but rarely find good Prog.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2015 at 00:46
Do people still shop for albums?  You guys must be old.
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2015 at 01:33
^ More to the point does anyone shop in the traditional way any more?

I quite like the record fayres you get regularly but I've never spotted a bargain as yet. One day I hope to see Monsoon - Third Eye for a not stupid price. That's about the rairest CD I would love to have but buying stuff on the off chance it might be good and because its cheap is something I tend not to do if I'm honest

Edited by richardh - February 26 2015 at 01:36
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2015 at 03:09
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Yes I do, and yes I am.

Vinyl only. Why? Because it sounds better. Therefore, any second hand purchase is a bit of a risk, but I've found some great albums in good condition at car boot sales and in charity shops.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2015 at 03:15
Vinyl LPs I bought for one pound in the last ten years include Aqualung, The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway, and Tales From Topographic Oceans. 
Why pay ten or twenty times as much when these classics can be found for less than the cost of the bus ride to the shop?
rotten hound of the burnie crew
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2015 at 03:28
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Yes I do, and yes I am.

Me too on both counts, my little local b&m closed a few years ago and I miss it terribly.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2015 at 04:04
I had to convert myself to digital music because of lack of space at home. I'd love to spin my thousand vynils if I could. Sometimes I purchase a vinyl even if I know that it will never spin.

However, bandcamp is a source of great music if you have the patience to search between the rubbish.
Just try this as example

1974.bandcamp.com (i don't know how to link a url with a smartphone)
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Walton Street View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2015 at 07:12
thrift shops and garage sailing - although for the most part - by the time vinyl gets to a thrift shop they are not fit to play.

I get a ton of CDs in thrift shops anywhere from $3 to 25 cents each.
I'm sure that since the mid 80's 75% of everything I have was bought this way.
(while buying books and movies as well)

strictly prog - most of the vinyl was bought new as it was coming out, most of the cds were bought used except for the few I bought on Ebay to fill in the holes.

"I know one thing: that I know nothing"

- SpongeBob Socrates
zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2015 at 09:18
Originally posted by sublime220 sublime220 wrote:

All the time. It's my favourite way to find them too. Hard, but it feels really good afterwards for some reason in ways I cannot describe properly. You've also got a nice collection up there. Shadowfax, man, I thought they had disappeared from everyone's brains. Amazing band, truly.

I think I know what you mean: its like finding hidden treasures. Often like some kind of good-feeling serendipitous moment when you find something good you didn't realize was there--an album or albums that you really wanted, but didn't know it until you found them.

I got my first Shadowfax cassette (I think 25 cents) only because I liked the name--I had actually never heard of the band.  Was surprised to find out they were listed on this site. That first cassette was light and new-agey, but I was fortunate to find Watercourse Way shortly after. What a great album!  I've written reviews for them now.
Z
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2015 at 12:03
i went to nearby thrift shops in the past; the only i found the most interesting were ELP's debut & Yes' 90125, both of which on vinyl (and kind of beaten up from what i can remember).
Progrockdude
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2015 at 13:53
I don't go to thrift stores much, and I've never found any music of value in there when I have.  But a few years ago I was at a garage sale the the lady's kid had a decent Porcupine Tree collection for sale.  I picked up the 2 disc version of The Sky Moves Sideways for $1.  Even though it was missing the 2nd disc.  I went up to the lady and asked if she had the 2nd disc somewhere, and she gave me a look like, "are you kidding?"   Good thing I didn't ask for a discount.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2015 at 14:19
We found a couple of interesting albums (Kate Bush's Lionheart and Led Zeppelin's Presence) in secondhand book stores that also stock some music. Luckily, there are still a few secondhand music stores left here in the DC metro area, and in the past few years we have found some really great stuff there (even rare, out-of-print albums).
zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2015 at 16:55
Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

I picked up Wind & Wuthering as well as Asia Minor's Between Flesh and Divine (a real find!) from the dollar bin at a record store once.  I also found Alive in an Ultra World by Steve Vai for a couple of bucks at a thrift shop.  I always look when I can, but rarely find good Prog.

I also picked up a Wind and Wuthering cassette at the Baja Prog Festival in Mexico last year (one of the few Genesis albums I didn't yet have). At $2.00 it was a little more than I normally pay for cassettes (I rarely pay over a dollar, but W&W was worth it). It has become one of my fave Genesis albums, and you reminded me, I gotta get the CD or digital!

Agreed about rarely finding good prog at thrift shops--I often gotta wade through a lot of crappy (and often unorganized) stuff to find anything worth taking. My list above represents a few years worth of collecting, and most times I've gone looking, I haven't found any prog at all. But usually I'm hoping to find good stuff from other genres too--classical especially seems to be more common at thrift shops. Some places have a lot of good jazz or folk as well. 

Z
AreYouHuman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2015 at 23:19

How about dollar stores?  A few years back, a local one had several copies of the first Richard Sinclair’s Caravan of Dreams CD for $1, all presumably new.  I just checked on Amazon and the cheapest seller wants $23.88 for it new.

Edited by AreYouHuman - February 26 2015 at 23:32
Caption: We tend to take ourselves a little too seriously.

Silly human race! Yes is for everybody!
martinprog77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2015 at 04:12
Once i got from amoeba new trolls concerto grosso for 1and 2 $ 2.99
Nothing can last
there are no second chances.
Never give a day away.
Always live for today.

TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2015 at 04:48
At a yard sale last fall..I picked up  a second hand copy of Blodywn Pig "Ahead Rings Out" ..then at the Heritage convenience store I picked up Genesis Live and Foxtrot.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>