FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedChance Thrift Prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2015 at 05:55
I found the Artcane album at salvage store many years ago, but I don't usually go to those kind of places.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2015 at 08:35

Hi,

Haven't been to a record store in years. In Portland, since Django's died, it kinda went down hill and the other store that was near them, used to have a lot of old stuff and all of a sudden they have newer stuff mixed with it (I'm OK with that) but the amount of old stuff disappeared, and some of their prices went ridiculous to get closer to the newer stuff.

Done with that one!

In general, for the past 2 years I have done nothing but replace the LP's in my collection and more than 300 of them are gone in that time replaced by CD's.

All in all, in terms of looking for things, nowadays, this is what PA is good for ... and about the only band I have not given a good listen to, and is on my list, is The Enid, that Dean talks about so much. I just haven't gotten there yet, but will pretty soon. About 150 more LP's to go this year first! In general, you might not find this or that, but something else comes up instead, and this is how I have always found music for my "collection", though, by looking at it, I would confuse anyone ... that I am not a "collector" other than of "experiences" and the stuff I have is the best for it, and it tends to bust right through labels and ideas easily!

NP: Bonzos - The Sound of Music

Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2015 at 08:47
Cut to the chase here: those flukey bargains that anecdotal evidence would hazard that 'back in the day' only garage sales and attic trawls unearthed, are now supplanted by illegal download sites. Pre loved Prog is, in the main, free to a disreputable home.
Walton Street View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2015 at 08:51
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Cut to the chase here: those flukey bargains that anecdotal evidence would hazard that 'back in the day' only garage sales and attic trawls unearthed, are now supplanted by illegal download sites. Pre loved Prog is, in the main, free to a disreputable home.

not the same thing to collectors, and as far as I can see, prog people love to own the original hard copies.
the genre itself is so collectable ..
"I know one thing: that I know nothing"

- SpongeBob Socrates
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2015 at 08:59
Originally posted by Walton Street Walton Street wrote:

Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

not the same thing to collectors, and as far as I can see, prog people love to own the original hard copies.
the genre itself is so collectable ..

A surfeit of supply would consign a collector to those who belong to the legions of the mentally ill. Scarcity alone confers a value on anything that collectors consider worth erm....collecting. Dig hippy?
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2015 at 09:03
As I mentioned elsewhere, the many swap meets in my area are long gone because the drive-in theaters have been torn down. Yard sales/garage sales are few and far between because of city ordinances.
Years ago it was common to find decent vinyl at thrift stores for less than two dollars but not lately.
Try finding out when your local thrift stores get their weekly deliveries from their distribution centers.
That way you can get a first look at their most recent items.
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2015 at 10:43
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

Haven't been to a record store in years. In Portland, since Django's died, it kinda went down hill and the other store that was near them, used to have a lot of old stuff and all of a sudden they have newer stuff mixed with it (I'm OK with that) but the amount of old stuff disappeared, and some of their prices went ridiculous to get closer to the newer stuff.

Done with that one!

In general, for the past 2 years I have done nothing but replace the LP's in my collection and more than 300 of them are gone in that time replaced by CD's.

All in all, in terms of looking for things, nowadays, this is what PA is good for ... and about the only band I have not given a good listen to, and is on my list, is The Enid, that Dean talks about so much. I just haven't gotten there yet, but will pretty soon. About 150 more LP's to go this year first! In general, you might not find this or that, but something else comes up instead, and this is how I have always found music for my "collection", though, by looking at it, I would confuse anyone ... that I am not a "collector" other than of "experiences" and the stuff I have is the best for it, and it tends to bust right through labels and ideas easily!

NP: Bonzos - The Sound of Music

Please try the first 4 albums and take your time allowing them to grow on you. They are all instrumental and are an inspiration closely connected with the life they lived at Finchdeon Manor. Steven Stewart and Francis Lickerish spent years in this experimental school for problematic children and several of the pieces have a very bewitching romantic vibe. A vibe that influences a person to dream and possibly feel some of the same things they felt in a very obscure way ..like being under a spell or having a dream sequence and remembering the detail when waking up the next day.

Robert John Godfrey ..(I believe?), spent a few years at the school after he had composed string arrangements for Barclay James Harvest. It's easier and personally enjoyable to experience their early instrumental albums first and then slowly exploring the later albums with vocals. A great powerful period of albums with vocals would be....Seed And The Sower, Tripping The Light Fantastic, and White Goddess because not only is it reminiscent of their early work, but creates more new ideas and further interests me. The Seed And The Sower was originally a solo album from R.J. Godfrey and Steven Stewart, but the cd I have has The Enid printed on the cover and a background painting that is similar to the style of artwork on the re-recorded 80's release of In The Region Of The Summer Stars.

I also have the original  recordings of In The Region Of The Summer Stars and Aerie Faerie Nonsense which are a must!...However!....on the re-recorded 80's version of In The Region Of The Summer Stars ..the opening track.."Fool" has the most intriguing atmospheric soundscape I have ever heard in my life and on the original version it's pretty much wiped out completely. The piece begins with a question and answer performance on the piano and it's very likely to hold someone's attention because it calls you. It has a calling or an awakening vibe and it actually is like a calling ...like when a human being has a calling to change their life and the music has that power from within. The original album wasn't released until 1975, but the 3 of them were composing and rehearsing it years before...so with all due respect, they are a Progressive Rock band from the early 70's and not the mid 70's. They are currently in a lawsuit with their old label and asking for donations to fight for justice. I believe the band may still live together in a house owned by Robert John Godfrey because that's the way things were originally arranged when they started. I have yet to purchase their last 3 releases. Shame on me...

Edited by TODDLER - February 27 2015 at 10:47
zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2015 at 12:28
Originally posted by AreYouHuman AreYouHuman wrote:

How about dollar stores?  A few years back, a local one had several copies of the first Richard Sinclair’s Caravan of Dreams CD for $1, all presumably new.  I just checked on Amazon and the cheapest seller wants $23.88 for it new.

Dollar stores in my area don't typically have any good music.  I only recall once finding anything prog related at a dollar store: it was Phish's Round Room for $1.00.  I like Phish, but I remember not liking this album as much as some of their others, and its gone missing somewhere.
Z
Raccoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2015 at 23:03
Only one time have I found a decent discovery at a thrift shop. The rest, the typical albums (Aqualung, Tarkus–if you're lucky). But this one, I found the same album (Water Works!!), two Passport albums (the best ones! But not the early ones), Free Hand by GG, and A Wizard, A True Star by Rundgren (one of my personal favorites). Got that lot for $12 in total.

But the record stores in Portland, you can be lucky and find LOADS of albums for cheap (as-in $5 or below). Never Caravan or Soft Machine, but the typical ones you can find for 3 or so buckaroos. Anything by Jean-Luc, Metheny, all ELP, Genesis, etc. And I check the world section in EVERY record store I go in... I've never been THAT lucky Disapprove You know, c'mon!! Give me some Premiata!! And not the English version Ouch
      Check out my FREE album: A one-man project   The Distant Dynasty

https://distantdynasty.bandcamp.com/
RockHound View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2015 at 02:53
It's been ages since I've been to a record store of any kind, but back in the day I used to spend a lot of time going through the used bins at Record Revolution and Record Rendezvous in Cleveland.

Among my most fondly remembered cheapie acquisitions are:

Nursery Cryme and Foxtrot as $0.99 cutouts back around 1973 (in cellophane)
DJ copy of Group 87
DJ copy of Red Queen to Gryphon Three
DJ copy of Tormato (not my favorite Yes album, but an interesting acquisition, nevertheless).
DJ copy of Ant Phillips' Wise after the event
UK
Hergest Ridge (a common bin item - apparently a lot of people bought and sold it quickly)
All kinds of Jean-Luc Ponty and RTF albums
Yogaprogyoda View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2015 at 16:28
Have DREAMED of that amazing thrift store find, but haven't yet had one…not in the prog realm anyway. The closest experience I can relate is finding the original Philips vinyl of Artcane's 'Odyssee', Near Mint, at a used record store for a mere $15, which is a fraction of its actual value. 
Yogaprogyoda View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2015 at 16:29
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

I found the Artcane album at salvage store many years ago, but I don't usually go to those kind of places.

good lord, I just mentioned a steal of a purchase of this same album, and THEN read this post. Perhaps someone had a box of copies that they let out a few years ago…?
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2015 at 09:20
Found an unwrapped Danny Wilding's and Peter Bonus' Pleasure Signals CD a couple of years ago at my local used CD/record store for $6 and change. Phil Collins plays on a couple of tracks (Wilding/Bonus were early associates of Brand X). My big score around 10 years back was finding an unwrapped, mid '70's double album of All This and World War II with a newly independent Peter Gabriel singing Strawberry Fields and Bryan Ferry warbling She's Leaving Home. The guy at the now defunct used record story apparently didn't know what he had and let it go for its original sticker price. It's probably not that valuable as Leo Sayers was handed two songs to help pad it out.
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2015 at 11:36
Quite honestly the "thrifty" way has proved most successful for finding things outside of online. I have a few used shops I visit regularly and have found quite a few gems including Magma, Banco, Omnia and a rare recording of KC's Midnight Special appearances. Sometimes I will buy really obscure albums even if I already have a copy just to give them a home. They make great gifts for people who can appreciate it. Big smile
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2015 at 11:55
^"KC's Midnight Special appearances"? They appeared only once on Oct. 12, 1973. You're technically correct though as they appeared twice on that one show.

Edited by Rednight - March 05 2015 at 11:59
zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2015 at 14:06
Originally posted by bhikkhu bhikkhu wrote:

Quite honestly the "thrifty" way has proved most successful for finding things outside of online. I have a few used shops I visit regularly and have found quite a few gems including Magma, Banco, Omnia and a rare recording of KC's Midnight Special appearances. Sometimes I will buy really obscure albums even if I already have a copy just to give them a home. They make great gifts for people who can appreciate it. Big smile

Are you talking about used music stores, or just thrift shops?  I have found a couple rare albums/bands in the SW U.S. at used music stores, but by starting this thread, I was mainly thinking about very cheap albums (mostly $2.00 or less) found at common thrift store outlets.  I would consider it a near miracle to find a Banco or Magma album at a yard sale or thrift shop in my area! (but not Kansas or Jethro Tull, eg.).
Z
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2015 at 07:57
Sadly there are no 'record stores' in my local area anymore except for one small used place that only has cd's, and they rarely have anything interesting.....but there is going to be a record and music 'fair' at a local Elks Lodge soon where I can check out vinyl, cd's, magazines, books, memorabilia,  etc..
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2015 at 10:21
Saw the Trevor Rabin LP Can't Look Away, still in plastic with a very clean looking disc, at a local public library's used book room on sale for 50 cents. Alan White played on two of its tracks, but I couldn't manage to part with my Kennedy-head half-dollar because, after all, it was still only Rabin.
zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2016 at 13:40
OK,  About a year after I originally created this post, and here are some prog/prog related CDs/tapes I've found over the last year, completely by chance, mostly at thrift stores and swap meets (again, mostly free to $1.00, some a little more).

My Favorite Headache -- Geddy Lee
Beat -- King Crimson
Can't Buy A Thrill -- Steely Dan
Two Against Nature -- Steely Dan 
Defector -- Steve Hackett
Please Don't Touch -- Steve Hackett (cassette)
Chicago III 
Holidays in Eden -- Marillion
Basic Miles -- Miles Davis (cassette)
Dead Winter Dead -- Trans Siberian Orchestra
Even in the Quietest Moments -- Supertramp
The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway -- Genesis (bought extra, even though already had)
Mask -- Vangelis
Mr. Fantasy -- Traffic
The Polite Force -- Egg
Quadrophenia -- The Who
The Who Sell Out -- The Who
The Serpent is Rising -- Styx
Paradise Theatre -- Styx
Scarlet's Walk -- Tori Amos
Shleep -- Robert Wyatt
A Passage in Time -- Dead Can Dance
Worlds Collide -- Apocalyptica
I Looked Up -- The Incredible String Band
More Live Nektar in New York
Do they Hurt? -- Brand X (cassette)

So, pretty good year for me for unexpected prog!  Of these, I'd say Shleep, The Polite Force, Mr. Fantasy, Worlds Collide, My Favorite Headache, Defector, Please Don't Touch, Quadrophenia and I Looked Up were the best. 

Anyone else?   (Note, some people previously replied about finds in music stores -- This thread was intended to be mainly about non-music store places where you come across prog by chance (that is, you don't expect to find whatever you picked up, or don't know what you'll find).

Z
scruffydragon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2016 at 14:22
Since Christmas I have had a real mixed bag from charity shops in my area.

ELO.
Face the music, Discovery, Out of the blue. These three came from the same shop on the same day.£1.00 each. I was thrilled at that.

Genesis.
Turn it on again(Hits),We can't dance, And then there were three, Invisible touch.
Late Genesis seems to be common in this area. Some of these albums at the moment seem to appear in different charity shops often duplicated. Earlier Gabriel era material seems to be scarce so perhaps people treasure it more.

Jeff Wayne. Highlights from The War of the Worlds. I found the full version in a charity shop last year. 

Mike Oldfield.
The collection and Tubular Bells II. From the same charity shop last weekend. I missed out on the Orchestral tubular bells as I had no cash at the time.

Queen,
Greatest hits,3 CD set. Scuffed and well loved but plays fine. A steal at £1.50.
Queen II.

Sky,
Sky,Sky 2,Cadmium,Sky 4. All came from a second hand shop for 50p each.

Vangelis,Themes.

Mostly all odds and ends but they were all cheap enough to purchase and finding them in a charity shop is always nice.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>