Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMisplaced proto-prog threads

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Neo / PSIKE / Heavy Teams

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Misplaced proto-prog threads
    Posted: February 26 2015 at 06:02
I am seeing an increasing number of proto-prog threads in the General Music Discussions lounge that are not redirected to the proto-prog lounge.

Recent examples include the threads "Vanilla Fudge reunites for new Album", "American Proto-Prog" and "British Proto-Prog".

If PA should remain a competitive source for progressive rock I recommend some sort of corrective action(s). Other reasons for correction are manyfold.

The poster is ensured maximum exposure of his/her thread and the reader can easily find the threads that have his/her interest.
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2015 at 06:51
My American & British Proto Prog polls were put there because polls can't be made in the Proto Prog section.  It happens a lot, and they just get moved to Proto after they've started.
rotten hound of the burnie crew
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2015 at 07:51
^This.
You can't make polls in the proto/related forum. People tend to either make them in prog polls or in general music discussions, and then it gets moved by an admin to it's right place (which I just didBig smile).

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2015 at 07:51
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Originally posted by earlyprog earlyprog wrote:

I am seeing an increasing number of proto-prog threads in the General Music Discussions lounge that are not redirected to the proto-prog lounge.

Recent examples include the threads "Vanilla Fudge reunites for new Album", "American Proto-Prog" and "British Proto-Prog".

If PA should remain a competitive source for progressive rock I recommend some sort of corrective action(s). Other reasons for correction are manyfold.

The poster is ensured maximum exposure of his/her thread and the reader can easily find the threads that have his/her interest.

I can assure you that other prog sites are much more broad-minded than PA regarding what is labelled as "prog". Bands or artists that here have been either rejected or placed in Prog-Related have been extensively (and often enthusiastically) covered on other sites, and in some cases have performed at prog festivals. Therefore, I don't think that having a thread about Vanilla Fudge in the wrong section will hurt the site's credibility.

'Follow your bliss' as they say. As I don't visit many other Prog sites I have no opinion on whether they exercise more largesse than PA re what was/is not Prog. I do have issue however with your implication that Prog-Related is tantamount to a dumping ground or 'catch all' for those artists that occupy some fictitious 'too hard' basket for our genre teams. The formative years of this site did admittedly give rise to many artists being added as Prog Related purely under the expediency of the owners wish to generate more visitors. Be that as it may, we can't put the poo back in what is now a house trained puppy. The process for submissions to the Prog Related category is completely transparent and explained hereabouts:
http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=73146&PID=3942761#3942761
It does strike me as somewhat churlish to undermine an extant process that requires a Special Collaborator to nominate an artist by contacting an Admin to request their consideration for admittance. Why therefore do you consider that those artists who have been denied fully fledged Prog status by the respective genre teams are somehow automatically 'relegated' to the Prog Related category like a tranche of illegal immigrant Polish tradesman in an unmarked van attempting to gain entry to the UK?Confused

Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2015 at 08:06
In case you haven't noticed, I deleted my post - unfortunately, not quickly enough. I don't want to get into an argument with you or anyone else, but I'd just like to know where in my original post I used the words "relegated" or "dumping ground", or how I have undermined anything.
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2015 at 08:11
and those Polish tradesman in an unmarked van might be the Next Big Thing on tour Big smile
rotten hound of the burnie crew
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2015 at 08:24
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

In case you haven't noticed, I deleted my post - unfortunately, not quickly enough. I don't want to get into an argument with you or anyone else, but I'd just like to know where in my original post I used the words "relegated" or "dumping ground", or how I have undermined anything.

It's self evident I didn't notice that you had deleted your post, but rest assured your contrition has been preserved for posterity. Cut to the chase Raff: The inference is that if PA is deemed less 'broad minded' than other Prog Rock sites, then you just might consider PA to be erm....narrow minded? Do you believe that PA being considered 'narrow minded' does NOT undermine PA?
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2015 at 08:35
Sorry to interrupt the discussion LOL

Currently the two polls are moved to the proto-prog lounge but why are they not accompanied by the Vanilla Fudge thread? Confused
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2015 at 08:50
I missed that last one. It's done now thoughParty
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2015 at 09:02
Call it a crazy prescient voodoo intuitive pre-cognitive thang y'all but when an Admin posts right after a frank exchange of forum views you just know that some shrilly indifferent member has hit the report button to bring to everyone's attention their own abject failure at ever being able to articulate their own ideas. You don't have to have one to be one...
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2015 at 09:13
Nope, you are mistaken my furry Scotsman. Merely talking with a fellow Dane hereWink

- Douglas Adams
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2015 at 09:22
^Thumbs Up

I wasn't aware this was your responsibility. 

A friendly suggestion considering your work load, you should delegate the responsibility to someone else to prevent recurrence - not that it's a major non-conformance with PA's maintenance of forums, by no means, but nonetheless.

I guess I'm not really convinced the cause of the lack of maintenance has been eliminated LOL
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2015 at 09:35
To be fair: I think threads in general music discussions gets seen just as much as those in the proto/related - some times even more.
Anyway, I'm not as fussy about threads made in these areas compared to the prog lounges, which is where I focus mostly on. We are, after all, a prog rock siteSmile 

- Douglas Adams
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2015 at 09:53
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

To be fair: I think threads in general music discussions gets seen just as much as those in the proto/related - some times even more.

Yeah, I have to admit that more than once I have felt the desire to post a thread in a deliberately wrong forum just to get maximum exposure LOL

Sometimes I feel this is the strategy imposed by some. We are encouraged to do this as long as the moved thread continues to appear in the originally posted forum. It (the link) should be deleted as soon as the thread is moved.

Edited by earlyprog - February 26 2015 at 10:04
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2015 at 11:11
No can do, sorry. "The link" or simply the green arrow showing next to the thread is merely an indicator telling you that it's been moved. I, sadly, can't delete the thread (link) from the wrong forum once in been posted. It would result in either hiding or deleting the original thread. As a result of this, we'll always have "duplicate" threads - or threads that are featured in more than one part of the forum.

Edited by Guldbamsen - February 26 2015 at 11:12

- Douglas Adams
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2015 at 11:21
Surely some IT nerd can fix this flaw Wink
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2015 at 11:26
I can tell you right off the bat that I'm out of the loop. I know as much about IT as I do about Afghan wedding cuisine. 

- Douglas Adams
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2015 at 02:57
Okay, I'm gonna act like the proto-prog police here and report that 3 Spirit posts have been observed to illegally reside in the Prog Recommendations/Featured albums forum for the last three days.

They should be hunted down and deported to their reservation.

Star
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2015 at 04:25
Originally posted by earlyprog earlyprog wrote:

Okay, I'm gonna act like the proto-prog police here and report that 3 Spirit posts have been observed to illegally reside in the Prog Recommendations/Featured albums forum for the last three days.

They should be hunted down and deported to their reservation.

Star

Bad housekeeping is leaving the site a bit messy and you risk tripping over a few misplaced posts in the wrong forums and can't find the posts where they are supposed to be? - so what? It's not like you can't find the key to the exit route and it's not physically harmful to you. Wear personal protective equipment because around here hazards like that are not abated. And don't bother finding the maintenance supervisor because he's not around. And if you think ignorance and carelessness emanate from the top to the bottom, you are absolutely right.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2015 at 12:50
Love is the answer. And all you need, really

Except for properly placed proto and related threads that is...

I've been busy with my studies in real life, which is more important to me than being an admin on PA. For the last month or so, I've been working my ass off to finish an assignment/project. For future purposes, then try mailing me or any of the other admins, if it feels like the world is about to end on account of a misplaced thread (that hasn't been posted in for a month). Also, if you know where these threads are, then why not help out with a couple of links, so as we don't have to look through countless of different forums before we find anything (like I just did)? Be that as it may Spirit, Wishbone Ash and some Gilmour albums have all been moved to the proper place. 

Thanks for your kind words.

- Douglas Adams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>