Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Music and Musicians Exchange
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Songs from the Old Days - Which Would You Cover?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSongs from the Old Days - Which Would You Cover?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Songs from the Old Days - Which Would You Cover?
    Posted: February 26 2015 at 13:06
If you had a choice of any song from the old days - '60s and '70s - which would you cover and why?  What, if anything, would you change?

Someone suggested "South Side of the Sky" to me the other day and I thought that was awesome... except I wouldn't want to change anything, so why cover it. Smile
https://www.facebook.com/JamieKernMusic
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2015 at 14:17
If I were a musician with the necessary skill to do so, I'd cover Black Sabbath's Planet Caravan and take it to a rockier but ultimately slower place. I'd throw in some more of those flute flutters that only joins in momentarily on the original and branch it out in this highly psychedelic mid section where it would be joined by some treated seagull sounds and an electric mandolin. 
The vocals should be darker but more clean it their expression - kinda like a dark and very drunk Frank Sinatra trying out for an acoustic Type O Negative set.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2015 at 16:51
The bass driven bridge into the main theme of Yessongs' take on "Heart of The Sunrise", as part of a larger medley.

"Slug Bait - Southampton"

Some old blues numbers: "Crossroads", the urbanised take on "Long Distance Call", and the rocky "Voodoo Chile". Maybe another blues rock one, too: "In My Time of Dying".

Title suite to Zarathustra.

"Navvy"
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2015 at 17:50
I've always wanted to do an electrified version of Comus' "The Prisoner." I may arrange it for my band sometime.

Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2015 at 18:03
Ever since I learned drums i've wanted to do a modern take on The Doors' Five To One. 

Heavy, gritty, with a charming sneer to it. 

If i had the perfect vocalist of course.. 
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2015 at 19:05
Oh, I just realised that it would be killer to cover "The Barbarian" with an industrial band.
Star_Song_Age_Less View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2015 at 13:12
Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

I've always wanted to do an electrified version of Comus' "The Prisoner." I may arrange it for my band sometime.

I'd never heard this song before so I checked it out - wow do I agree, I can see an update of this being incredibly powerful.

There are some songs by Renaissance that I think could really do with a high-quality update.  The recording quality for them was sometimes terrible.  It drives me crazy that the studio version of "Scheherazade" has such terrible performances from the presumably hired orchestral musicians.  The Live at Carnegie Hall version is much better despite a couple of small mistakes.  But I wouldn't want to cover that one itself because it's almost a half hour long...

I might consider "Ocean Gypsy" or "A Trip to the Fair" though.  I think the latter could do with some deep to mid-range guitar noises adding some ambiance and an increase in tempo.  Perhaps some creepy-vibe harmony vocals.
https://www.facebook.com/JamieKernMusic
Brianros1976 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2015 at 02:14
I think some selected songs from the last two doors albums without Jim Morrison. A vocalist that sounds more like Morrison would make those tracks into classics
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2015 at 18:20
This. With Frank Zappa orchestration, Emerson on Keys, Earth Wind and Fire Brass and Arthur Brown on Vox.

Thank you for supporting independently produced music
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2015 at 18:24
oh yeah.. my dream cover always was I'm a Boy by the Who.  With me on the drums... always wanted to play that one.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
 Post Reply Post Reply