Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed4 little gems (130)

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which one do you prefer ?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [12.50%]
3 [37.50%]
3 [37.50%]
1 [12.50%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: 4 little gems (130)
    Posted: February 26 2015 at 14:53
Arica : Heaven
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnS3ACZfVZw

Edition Spéciale : Aliquante
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibsYblHjDLg

Phew : St
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvpzY852egg

Peter Scherer & Arto Lindsay : Pretty Ugly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30kVs0_DmlE
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2015 at 14:55

4.00 stars
I find the "Pretty Ugly" segment, written for a 1988 piece by Frankfurt Ballet, delightful. Heavily rhythmic (augmented also by Nana Vasconcelos and Cyro Baptista for additional percussive support, and Jill Jaffe for some interesting tones on violin and viola), moving from mood to mood without ever turning into mere mood music, it's a great piece and certainly worth the price of purchase - within reason anyway. The remainder, comissioned for a 1986 theater piece, is good, if more fragmentary and certainly designed to support on-stage action (and presumably dialog, though maybe not) rather than to compel movement. It's also rhythmic and skronky, this basically being Ambitious Lovers without the pop music constrictions that help shape their music, but lacks the drive of the long piece and also the pop value of the duo's band together. Still, it sounded better in listening today after reacquiring the piece which had been missing from my collection for years, but the title cut is still the major statement here.
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2015 at 16:37
Edition Speciale and it's one I actually own.Shocked
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2015 at 16:57
A fine album, John, and the most progressive of the four Wink
sublime220 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2015 at 17:17
Eh, unlike most of the 4 little gems polls, I didn't really like much of this. Oh well, Phew it is.
There is no dark side in the moon, really... Matter of fact, it's all dark...
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2015 at 22:20
Pierre have you heard anything from Aquaserge yet? Such an amazing band and very French, love their new one.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2015 at 23:33
Damn! I'm about to go to bed and I just notice this...nothing rings a bell except the name Arto Lindsey.

I haven't read any of the replies yet either.

We will see you tomorrow Pierre!
Magma America Great Make Again
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2015 at 00:23
Sorry Ben.I hope that you will like the next ones Smile

Good night Darryl. Sleepy

John, I've never heard of Aquaserge and it sounds very very good. Thanks Buddy. Thumbs Up
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2015 at 04:11

ARICA
HEAVEN

Released 1973 on Just Sunshine
Reviewed by achuma, 24/11/2008ce

Following on from my review of the first Arica album, here we have the second one, again with the musicians anonymous but commendable for their transcendent creativity and improvisational synergy. What can I really say about this record that hasn’t been said in my review of the debut? Firstly, it is every bit as good and perhaps a little better, even more ‘higher key’ zonked into the stratosphere than the previous record. The same stylistic descriptors apply, but here we are treated to shorter tracks that explore a greater variety of sonic textures, though all still hanging together as a ritualistic, meditative whole.
So, again we have a record that should just be heard rather than dissected – if you like the sound of the little I’ve said about Arica’s music, you will almost certainly love this stuff to bits. Enjoy!

Note: although the original LP is pretty scarce on the street so to speak, you may still be able to score cut-out copies from the Arica Institute, and they have also put this album onto CD, which you can buy if you prefer. It sounds like a vinyl rip, but apart from a few minor crackles the sound is great. However, the CD doesn’t feature any of the original artwork or photographs – not even a track listing, though they’ll provide you with one on request. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05Fq6UVSJEk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHveEOaTilQ
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2015 at 11:01
I ended up voting for Phew although I did like the Canterbury-flavoured Edition Speciale.
Magma America Great Make Again
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2015 at 11:08
I knew it Wink
sublime220 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2015 at 11:53
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

Sorry Ben.I hope that you will like the next ones Smile
You're doing an amazing job with these though. Keep it up! Clap
There is no dark side in the moon, really... Matter of fact, it's all dark...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2015 at 12:00
Thanks Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2015 at 16:06

1981: Phew - “Phew”

By J MONK on Jun 6 2012

“Phew” is an expression of relief for narrowly avoiding something. It’s also an apt name for a vocalist who has escaped every close call with mainstream recognition while still being a legendary contributor to avant-garde J-Pop, releasing an album as recently as 2010. Her 1981 debut was recorded in the German studio of Krautrock behemoth producer Conny Plank before his death in 1986, with two members of Can. But besides being in the right place at the right time for these collaborations, Phew’s career doesn’t live up to her cute escape-artist stage name. It’s evident that it took persistence, savvy, and curiosity to have crafted so many albums with collaborators that seem heaven-sent. In the 90s she was a member of a Japanese supergroup Novo Tono which included Seiichi Yamamoto of The Boredoms, and she also worked with Ryuichi Sakamoto at the height of his creativity with Yellow Magic Orchestra.

Any attempt to understand Phew’s debut album as the defining event of her long career is like trying to shrink an exploded universe of creativity back into its Pandora’s box. The album kicks off with the bright statement of “Closed,” and yet it doesn’t fold small enough to be confined here. On the one hand “Closed” is heavily indebted to the Can/Plank influence – the song’s energy bubbles up from underneath with an electronic viscera of miked-up drums and dub energy, something that Plank was known for infusing into krautrock. But then there is the very Japanese statement of those zither-like synths.

Phew is a distinct statement that stands up in its own right, but there is still something cerebral, powerful, and selective that begins here, as if Phew knew she couldn’t miss by working with the right people and aiming for the avant-garde jugular. As a vocalist, Phew is mercurial – both cold and passionate, singing badly to evoke freedom and sweetly to evoke intimacy. I don’t know what her Japanese lyrics mean, but when a specific vocal style is used for some songs, like the lovely, weary piano anomaly of “Dream”, her role is easy to translate. Often Phew is defiant within her echoey darkwave/proto-industrial cavern. But sometimes she’s hoarse and unsure, as if putting a recent dream into words. Most often she carries an incredibly strong debut as an equal partner with her heavy lifting companions, who leave us with another compelling artifact of the brilliant drum and electronic experiments that German music provided in the 70s and 80s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHRUJo0G2i4

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2015 at 11:10

4.50 stars
Edition Speciale is one of the best jazz rock/fusion bands France ever had. A was completly knock out when I first listen to this second album named Aliquante from 1977, remaining one of my fav albums of the genre aswell. Very energic, up tempo kind of jazz rock with fusion elements with superb musicianship and very complex arrangements. The duels between Ann Balester's keyboards and Lorenzini guitar are top notch for sure. Also the new drumer Alain Gouillard show how great he is and very confident of his abilities, delivering some great chops here, very energic drumer remind me of Collins Brand X era or even with Bruford. I think this album is quite little unknown among listners, never bean very popular in comparation with other big names from that period like Brand X, Bruford, return to Forever, but I must confess this album kick ass from start to finish. All pieces are very good, specially the first 3 are simply outstanding Vedra, A La Source Du Rêve and So Deep Inside. Some vocal parts here alternating female/male vocal parts, who are ok nothing is over the top but pleasent most of the time, Ballester's vocals remind me in places specialy with canadian Et Cetera same attitude and tone of voice. All in all an album to be discovered by many listners as possible worth it, recommended for sure. 4.5 stars easy, excellent jazz rock/fusion. re issue by Musea on Cd with 2 bonus tracks, that will apper on their next album Horizon digital a year later. One of my fav albums from this genre.
 Post Reply Post Reply