Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProg Song Pit

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
silverpot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2015 at 16:27
I used to listen a lot to Amon Düül in my youth but haven't for ages now. It was a nostalgic trip, but alas, I think my taste has changed. I find it rather tedious, pretentious even.

Now, this Evpatoria Report sounds like something I'd like to explore further. Thumbs Up
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2015 at 16:32
Gloveka is one of the greatest post-rock albums ever, in my opinion. Check it out. 

Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
silverpot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2015 at 16:41
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

Gloveka is one of the greatest post-rock albums ever, in my opinion. Check it out. 

I'm listening now actually. It's on Spotify. Thumbs Up
sublime220 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2015 at 18:08
Wow, that was absolutley breathtaking. Good job Clap.
This was a pleasant surprise as I absolutely love PR. Can't believe I've never heard of them.
LILIHI: Loved It
Which Parts: Loved the snares at 6:26. Really nice progression.
Band Similar: The Ascent Of Everest, one of my favourites, although it's a little lighter.
I love this idea.
There is no dark side in the moon, really... Matter of fact, it's all dark...
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2015 at 18:33
I love post-rock, so nice to leave vocals behind and just ride the emotion.  Nice pick. 

Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2015 at 20:27
Thanks.

To put the song's title in perspective. 

C.S.S Logbook refers to the Columbia Space Shuttle. The entire song is a musical representation of the final ride of the crew on Feb 1, 2003. The shuttle exploded on re-entry, killing all seven aboard. 
As many will say, the ending is not a mistake - the song cuts off intentionally, and when put into context, i feel makes the ending not only brilliant, but beautifully morbid in a way. 

Titles can do wondrous things. These guys pull off another great title with this album's opener, Taijin Kyofusho. 

Which according to wikipedia.
" is a Japanese culture-specific syndrome. The term taijin kyofusho translates into the disorder (sho) of fear (kyofu) of interpersonal relations (taijin).[1] This culture-bound syndrome is a social phobia dealing with social anxiety. Those who have Taijin Kyofusho are likely to be extremely embarrassed of themselves or displeasing to others when it comes to the functions of their bodies or their appearances. These bodily functions and appearances include their faces, odor, actions, or even looks. They do not want to embarrass other people with their presence. This culture-bound syndrome is based on fear and anxiety.[2]

The symptoms of this disorder include avoiding social outings and activities, rapid heartbeat, shortness of breath, panic attacks, trembling, and feelings of dread and panic when around people. The causes of this disorder are mainly from emotional trauma or psychological defense mechanism."

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2015 at 06:10

For today's pick i decided to dabble into the Post-Rock genre. Post-Rock and Math-Rock are special to me, and I feel are sometimes misunderstood in prog rock circles.

misunderstood?  You are too polite... I'd call it written off by the close-minded who have very narrow tastes in prog, which is cool and their prerogative, but some make a point to extend their tastes to what they consider is and is not prog.

Here we have The Evpatoria Report's C.S.S Logbook. I hope everyone takes the time and listens to this without many distractions. Music like this is a lot like jazz, because of the instrumental nature - both the most subtle nuances and the biggest revolutions in the music are important and have an impact of what came before and what will happen in the song. 

I consider this song an excellent introduction to this side of Post-Rock and hope the song sparks interest in the album and artist like my previous posts seemed to. 

As always, my other thoughts will come a little later. 

Enjoy everyone. 

A first listen here, we have a few Math-Rock albums, a few Postie albums. I definitely gravitate more towards post-rock for packing a more emotional punch than Math-Rock has ever been capable of delivering.

That said, I really enjoyed the track, especially the break around the middle of the song. Great choice Austin Clap
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
'PiphanyRambler View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2015 at 07:27
A wonderful song. I really like post-rock and I'm surely going to check out this album.
The first half reminds me (just a bit) of Do Make Say Think (which I love).
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2015 at 16:50
I have only listened to one DMST album, but i'll give them a try again. I didn't dislike it, I think i just never continued. 

Edited by Horizons - March 05 2015 at 16:51
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2015 at 16:55
^ Which one did you listen to?
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2015 at 16:58
Other Truths. I remember liking that artwork from them the most and just started there.
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2015 at 17:05
^ Nice. Once you get back around to more from them, go for Goodbye Enemy Airship The Landlord is Dead.
Littlecarrots View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2015 at 18:16
I really need to check this album! First time listening to the band and got me hooked. I really love post-rock, though it's been a long time since I listened to a 'new' band. I'm really digging the ambience of the middle of the song, and I love the subtle touches of keyboards?

It kinda reminded me of cecilia::eyes and a bit of God Is An Astronaut, especially on their first albums.
silverpot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2015 at 10:02

Yep, great, I've just ordered it.
I've been wondering what post-rock actually is. Now I know and it's absolutely my thing. Thanks again.
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2015 at 11:40

Here we have one of my favorite French bands, Atoll. 

It was hard picking a song from this album honestly. A majority of the music on this album is brilliant symphonic music with fusion instrumentals that can just fly. And while this song certainly does that I decided with this song because it has some interesting rhythms and passages that create a more dynamic song as well. 

Hope you guys enjoy. Their first two albums are top notch. 

Edited by Horizons - March 06 2015 at 11:45
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2015 at 11:43
I really enjoy that album. Atoll is good. The cover reminds me of the vehicle Pokey uses in Earthbound.
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2015 at 09:31
Bump ;o
'PiphanyRambler View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2015 at 11:33
WOW! That song is amazing! It has some unsettling twists that make it very strange. Especially at the 2 minutes mark, I thought it was going in a peaceful and harmless direction, and instead it turned into something much more nightmarish. Great vocals too.
I think Arachnoid (1979) have been (in part) inspired by this sound.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2015 at 17:32
As I haven't yet commented on the Evpatoria Report song, I will do so now, and then move on to Atoll. "C.S.S. Logbook" is a brilliant piece of music, with outstanding guitar work and use of crescendos and pauses of near-silence - a modern take on the "symphonic poem" that encourages the listener create a mental picture of the event. Other Post Rock tracks I have heard were more like an abstract painting than a descriptive one, but still the subgenre is unparalleled in the skillful creation of moods. Very different from traditional prog, but - in my view - every bit as good.

As to the Atoll song, I was ready to dismiss it at the beginning - before it went all King Crimson on us. Definitely not your parents' symphonic prog, with sharp edges lurking behind the canonical lush arrangements. In a way, it reminded me of the approach of many Italian prog bands of the Seventies, successfully juxtaposing melody and aggression.
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2015 at 17:53
Atoll is a good pick Austin, though I like that dark Arachnoid album even better.  Love many of the French bands. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>