Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProg Song Pit

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2015 at 22:10
Interesting idea for a thread and some interesting songs also.....being late to the thread ,and I'll blame my old age, I'll start with Amon Dull 2: good track from a good album and I have always liked Amon Dull 2 .My original vinyl is still in good shape after all these years.
Don't have any post or math rock but I did like that track by Evpatoria; reminded me of Radiohead for some reason but I liked it better than their music. Is Evpatoria  typical math/post rock..? If so I might have to pick up some.

I have that Atoll along with the 2 other early ones  and while I don't play French prog  or RPI all that often that is a group I do enjoy listening to...it has a spooky vibe to me and I love that cover art. I played that one on the way to work about a month or so ago.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2015 at 22:54
Sorry guys my internet went out today so i wasn't able to make a post. I'll get a song up tomorrow. 

Also glad to hear more and more positive feedback. 

Dr.

Evpatoria's main distinguishing characteristic about their music is quality. 
As i said before, Gloveka is one of the best post-rock albums out there. So yes you could say that their sound is similar to other fantastic post-rock bands, but that album is quite good. Doesn't mean you won't be blown away or like anything else by the genre, but you have to do some digging. 
I've posted a song from the genre before as a suggestion to you and you had the same positive response. I think you just need to dive into the less ambient side of post-rock and the more melodic side of math-rock .

And yes, that Atoll artwork is top notch. 
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2015 at 15:00

Alrighty people.
I picked a song that will probably get a little more resistance this time. 

Here we have Cynic. 
I'll be looking forward to what you think and i'll post my thoughts a bit later.

Enjoy. 
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2015 at 15:08
Traced In Air is some fantastic work. Cynic, through that and last year's Kindly Bent To Free Us, have proven themselves masters of moving sonically from metal to heavy rock. Very good prog metal/rock, with that track one of the highlights.
sublime220 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2015 at 15:12
I love the song but I'm wondering why you didn't pick a song from Focus. Maybe because everybody's heard it?
There is no dark side in the moon, really... Matter of fact, it's all dark...
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2015 at 15:34
I prefer TiA to Focus because i prefer the production and emphasis on the vocals more. 
I felt that having a more up and front vocal song instead of a jazz metal dominated song would showcase the band in a different/better light.

As Lear pointed out, the progression of Cynic's music has been moving from the more technical metal to heavy rock, with more alternative rock tendencies - mainly their most recent release. Traced In Air is one of those brilliant albums that captures not only a moment of transition, but the brilliance of both sides of that transition rather than a weak output that has no direction or is just simply weak. 
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2015 at 16:11
I had not yet heard anything from the much-praised Traced in Air, and I have to admit this song is quite different from what I expected. Being somewhat familiar with Focus, I thought the band's second album would also be an exercise in highly technical jazz-metal, and the accessibility of this song surprised me. With just a touch of growl in the vocals, and a nice melodic development, this is a song that can potentially appeal to people outside the tech/extreme metal fandom - provided, of course, they have some tolerance for heaviness (which is not always the case with prog fans). Very good choice, which makes me want to hear more from Traced in Air.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2015 at 16:12
a couple of songs behind.. you slipped one in while I wasn't looking..I'll catch up later this evening after we finish digging this new album we got today.

but Cynic.. THAT of all groups was the one I came of the battle of the bands contest the most interested in.  I had a ringer (Kelvin) pick the samples because I knew jack sh*t about the group. I loved the damn samples.

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Eh-Dogg View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2015 at 22:39
Thanks for starting this thread! I love hearing all the new artists you guys suggest!
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2015 at 22:55
Great to hear mate. Enjoy. 
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2015 at 18:34
I'm back. 
Sorry i totally dropped the ball and forgot to post.
Forgive me!! Embarrassed

In return i'll be giving you two classic era songs for you guys to discuss and look into.
I know - i'm so kind. 

First off we have a German band, Carol of Harvest. Leaning on the more symphonic side of folky prog, in the vein of Renaissance. They definitely aren't acoustic driven, but the wonderfully earthy vocals on some fantastic leads give way to a great jam.

The non-lyrical vocals coming in at the second half are by far my favorite part, and though while i prefer the band to take a bit more risks in the composition, similar to what that Atoll song did, this song has energy and never loses steam or drags for too long. 

Then we got something a little bit contrasting. Still reigning from Germany, Brainticket is an psychedlic kraut band. 

It's funky, it's eerie,  it's interesting. It's something you should hear. 

I love the cavernous vocals and well as that fuzzy bass groove throughout the song. 
These guys are kings of atmosphere and if you like real free-flow music, check out their debut as well as this album - Celestial Oceans. 

Edited by Horizons - March 13 2015 at 18:37
'PiphanyRambler View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2015 at 09:03
Oh nice, the songs are back!

Let's see... "Try a little bit" sounds good but it doesn't leave me totally amazed. I think the sound of the keyboard employed here is what makes the song shine (e.g. the part before the wordless vocals).

"Egyptian Kings" on the other hand drew me in immediately. I wouldn't know which word to use to describe it other than "weird". It's as if Genesis took "The Waiting Room" and developed it into a song (it kinda sounds like something out of "The Lamb").
ebil0505 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2015 at 12:45
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

inb4 The Mars Voltage

My favorite band will eventually be posted here :3[/DIV

I have recently discovered the wonderful music of The Mars Volta I think Frances the Mute is my favorite, especially if you include the single of the same name with it.

I like this thread, it makes me happy.
"I like to think oysters transcend national barriers." - Roger Waters
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2015 at 17:38
Time to rescue this excellent thread from impending oblivionSmile! I apologize for not having posted for a while, though I did find the time to listen to both the German songs you posted a few days ago.

"Try a Little Bit" is very nice (especially the vocals), and I can see the Renaissance comparisons. However, I also found it somewhat lacking in character, and - as you aptly pointed out - ultimately a bit too safe. "Inoffensive" is a word that comes to mind while listening to this song. On the other hand, "Egyptian Kings" really made me want to explore Brainticket's music further. This is the kind of progressive rock I like these days - intriguing, weird and full of esoteric influences.
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2015 at 18:49
Thanks Raff for the post, i appreciate it. 

I'll try keeping the posts going, hoping for more attention. 

Edited by Horizons - March 17 2015 at 18:51
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2015 at 22:46
For the first half the lyrics made me wince a bit; a little too high falutin' and operatic-like. I liked it better later when she was scat singing. The instrumental side was top notch throughout with plenty of twists and turns in the arrangements.

I've been listening to Gong - You day after day lately in my car on the long drive to town, and Egyptian Kings sounds kind of similar yet not as good, especially with respect to the vocals.
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2015 at 19:36
Just discovered this thread and like the concept but am 8 songs behind! 

1. No fan of Fish-era Marillion; this song didn’t change my mind any. 

2. Have loved Gazpacho’s Night for years—and it remains my favorite album of theirs—but for some reason I’d never really given “Chequered Lights” any attention before. Always cued up “Upside Down” “Dream of Stone” or “Massive Illusion”—so, Thanks! Have to give the full album a listen again soon.

3. Amon Düul II song, “Surrounded by the Stars” was great. Don’t know Wolf City. Yet. I have Phallus Dei and Tanz der Lemminge. I like the “German Jefferson Airplane” comparison!

4. “C.S.S.Logbook” by The Evpatoria Report starts out really cool with the marching band-like drum sounds. Then the hypnotic organ and guitar sounds. Reminds me of The Appleseed Cast and Caspian (two of my favorite Post Rock/Math Rock bands). BTW:  What exactly is the difference between “Post Rock” and “Math Rock” and why are they lumped together? Like the speedy arpeggi in the third minute. The building guitar strumming is a bit clumsy but the drums flash nicely. I really like the PINK FLOYD/RADIOHEAD-like near-silence in the middle. That guitarist in the right channel is really awesome! Second listen was so awesome! Thanks for that one. A band worth checking out!

5. ATOLL’s “Le photographe exorciste” sounds awesome! I’d been aware of them for a while but had never followed through to try to hear any of their music before, so, again, THANKS! Great first minute with the dramatic synth chords, narrative French vocal and interesting incidentals. Genesis, Eloy and Gong all rolled into one! Love the way that the drums kind of sneak into the song—and the way the craziness escalates with both guitars and voices! Awesome driving bass line at the three minute mark! But then it goes back. Interesting shift at the end of the fifth minute. Camel-esque. Cool “Red”-shift at 6:15 and ensuing dissonant fuzz guitar solo. What an outro! Violin! Second time through I could definitely pick out more violin. Got to check out this album!

6. From Traced in Air we have CYNIC’s “The Space for This.” I liked the album greatly when it came out but have to admit I haven’t given it much attention since. I like the fact that Cynic takes the sub-genre more into melody, space and subtlety than many of their contemporaries—and never seem to get so grating on my ears as, say, much of Devin Townsend. 

7. CAROL OF HARVEST’s “Try a Little Bit” opens with some bluesy electric guitar arpeggios setting up the female vocals. She reminds me of some folk rock diva. Awesome electric guitar solo in the third minute. Like the vocalist’s scatting throughout the second half of the song—her solo rivaling any of the other instruments. Kind of more of a classic rock song up to this point. Any relation to Snifff’n’the Tears?

8. Barely a week passes without my playing “Egyptian Kings.” I just love the energy and spirit of Vandroogenbroeck’s “Cottonwoodhill” projects.

If you keep ‘em coming I’ll try to stay up! Thanks for the intro to Atoll and The Evpatoria Report! Two bands that I will definitely be checking out (already got ‘em cued up on Spotify!)

Edited by BrufordFreak - March 30 2015 at 19:36
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2015 at 19:54
Thanks mate. Glad to hear. 

Unfortunately i stopped posting because of the lack of interest it seemed to get. 

Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2015 at 20:08
Clap

Howdy people. 

I just wanted to start a thread that'll hopefully last a bit longer than a simple poll or discussion thread. I wanted to make a thread similar to the Weekly Prog Album thread that was pretty popular not too long ago but make it more frequent and instead of albums i would be posting a song every other day. 

I plan on going back and forth between classic (60-80s) and modern (90-today) with each alternating song post and hopefully diving between different genres and obscurities. 

Early on will be more classic and big-name prog artists here on PA, just to get the ball rolling and hopefully to start getting some attention, but this will also involve me learning about bands and hopefully exchanging recommendations and thoughts. 

I hope people will take part in the listening of songs and share any type of thoughts on each song.

Like it? love it? hate it?
Which parts?
Band similar?
Favorite section?
Whatever.

I'll be starting with Marillion's Incubus. 

I'm not a big fan or advocate of neo music, but Fish-era Marillion has some music that i can enjoy and this is one of the songs. 
Fish has always reminded me of Gabriel in style, not to try to draw more comparisons between the two bands. 

I personally think the drums in this song really shine, while the keyboards come off as a bit annoying. 
When it comes to the neo-prog genre here on PA i think my favorite album is Clutching at Straws - while no band has really captured me entirely. 

My next song post will be on 2/28. Thumbs Up
Horizons Smile hello Hug
This a great pit stop prog song, Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking by Roger Waters with Eric Claption on guitars and killed it here, his lead and response to the vocals are the most sensitive tunes awwww HeartApproveCry all the way through the guitar tune is so precious, the actual guitar solo starts at 3.28min Hughttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6_RnKjKLJ0

Edited by Kati - March 30 2015 at 20:09
sublime220 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2015 at 21:24

Unfortunately i stopped posting because of the lack of interest it seemed to get. 
Awww... Cry I liked this idea.
There is no dark side in the moon, really... Matter of fact, it's all dark...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>