Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPorcupine Tree, where to go next?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Porcupine Tree, where to go next?
    Posted: February 28 2015 at 21:22
OK, I have already gotten my fair amount of Porcupine Tree, but I'm wondering if there's something else I should get. First of all, I have got all the Gavin Harrison albums, plus the pre-Harrison live albums Coma Divine and Warzawa. Actually, I got into PT because of Coma Divine, which I did love (as well as Grace for Drowning, which I got at about the same time), and then gradually I got all the Harrison era albums (which were the ones available at the store I visit frequently). However, even though I did like many things from the Harrison albums, somehow there's something lacking from what I loved on Coma Divine (and which Warzawa somehow still has, to a point)... I don't know, the atmosphere, the sort of ambient and early Floyd like feeling. And perhaps I should pay more attention to the drumming in both eras, but I feel I actually enjoy better the first drummer. Now, I wonder if I should get some of the pre Harrison studio albums, for I'm not sure if they keep the same sort of sound from Coma Divine... there's the Wilson solo albums, which I feel might lack something because of not having a full band on them, and the albums with the already formed band, but I feel those may be already too mainstream; however, I feel that perhaps between the two live albums I may already have the best of both pre-Harrison eras songs with better performances. The albums I have been most interested in getting first, though, are "The Sky Moves Sideways" and "Recordings" I think is the name of the other (the one with singles b-sides). Are those ones actually the ones closer to the sound I'm looking for?
Queen By-Tor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2015 at 22:18
Recordings sounds a lot more like Lightbulb Sun with a more chilled out feel, not so much ambient - just chill. The Sky Moves Sideways is probably exactly what you're looking for. It has the PF vibes and still manages to get in a bit of an aggressive edge. I would recommend Up the Downstair as well if you like Sky Moves Sideways - it's a little less aggressive and more Floydian - and if you like that another EP that is absolutely wonderful is Staircase Infinities (usually included in the rereleases of Up the Downstair as a bonus disc) that pairs to Up the Downstair like Nil Recurring pairs to FOABP
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2015 at 22:49
Up the Downstair and Stupid Dream are both pretty essential PT albums. 

Edited by Horizons - February 28 2015 at 22:49
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2015 at 02:50
Stupid Dream was my first PT album and it took me another 5 years before I bought another. That was a real slow burner. Recordings has the extended version of Even Less (from SD) which is worth having.
I actually prefer Up The Downstair over The Sky Moves Sideways but both are very good.
However the really interesting album is Signify. That's a bit of an 'odd' album. Worth checking out the reviews first but I would recommend that one over SD, Lightbulb Sun and the earlier ones.
Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2015 at 04:23
Personally, I began to increasingly dislike PT since Harrison got on board. Love all their stuff up to 2000, from there one... I can take it or leave it.

As for a recommendation, for now you should probably stay away from the tapes, the "official" debut On the Sunday of Life, Voyage 34 and Metanoia (even though I think Voyage 34 is especially brilliant, in its own way) - the rest is all gold.  

Edited by Kotro - March 01 2015 at 04:27
Bigger on the inside.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2015 at 10:02
Hi,

There isn't an album of theirs that i do not enjoy.

Somehow I just do not see them getting together again, as the stuff that Steven is doing these days is vastly different and more independent (and selfish) than the previous work. This is my take, although I have not given Steven's work as much of a listen as I have PT's work.

I am not sure I see a future here anymore ... I think the lines on the hand are blurred and busted and too old, for a reading to make any sense.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2015 at 22:05
Well, I hope to be getting some more albums from them eventually... though I must put an order on how to get several things I'm interested in getting. From PT, I guess I'll first go with Sky Moves Sideways. Now, what I'm mainly interested here is if this one is worth having in it's studio (and longer) version if I already have the Coma Divine version. The studio version would be the really complete one, but does it have worthy music that's missing on the live version, or did the later one get the best of the song and left the padding out? Is it equally powerful, or did they get the energy up for the live version, leaving the studio original rather tame?
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2015 at 01:44
^ good question and in my opinion the studio version has a lot of padding but then it is what it is - spacey headphoney stuff. I would rate it 3.5 stars. Coma Divine is a great live album and perhaps they do get the best out of it in that environment but that shouldn't necessarily mean you should avoid the studio version.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2015 at 22:32
And what about Signify? I really liked the Title track and the Waiting songs on Coma Divine.
Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2015 at 23:29
I got The Sky Moves Sideways about 4-5 years ago. It took me a little while to get into it because I was still just getting my feet wet with prog at that time, but loved it once I did. That said, I for some reason never pursued any of their other albums until a couple months ago (SW solo albums are a different story). Anyway, going up to see Steve Hackett with a friend, he played Anesthetize for me, and that song blew my mind. So I now I've added Fear of a Blank Planet and In Absentia to my collection both of which I love. I've also got Signify on the way.

Anyway, I couldn't recommend The Sky Moves Sideways enough. It's one of my favorite albums from the 90's, and I think you'll like it.
Want to play mafia? Visit here.
fudgenuts64 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2015 at 23:42
I would just get everything from 91-97 if you like Coma Divine. It's all in that style, maybe the debut being a bit more eclectic.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2015 at 01:18
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

And what about Signify? I really liked the Title track and the Waiting songs on Coma Divine.

The title track kicks serious butt on the live album , not as good on the studio version. Signify is a mixed bag of stuff and some have called it a 'bridge album' between the earlier spacey psyche sound and the later heavier metal influenced approach. Its a must have imo but don't expect to like everything on it.
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2015 at 02:04
`Recordings' is hugely impressive. It doesn't come across as a mere compilation, and although much of the material originates from the `Stupid Dream' and `Lightbulb Sun' era, it's clear that was was left off those two great albums like `Cure for Optimism', `Untitled' and `Ambulance Chasing' were much more adventurous.

You still get those similarly amazing `poppier' tracks like `Disappear' and `Access Denied' (Wilson was definitely overdosing on Mansun's `Six' album listening to that track) that appeared on `SD' and `LS', and the lead track `Buying New Soul' is a PT classic all it's own, a beautifully sad lyric - as always!

Well worth tracking down!

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - March 03 2015 at 02:04
 Post Reply Post Reply