Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGreat prog without guitars

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2015 at 00:35
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2015 at 01:14
Another modern but oft overlooked RPI band is Three Monks

Their two albums are both beauties although mainly feature pipe organ with very little synth and no electronic organ at all

Also the Jap bands Gerard and Ars Nova are worth checking out. From the latter I would go with Android Domino. That album has grown on me a lot recently.

tricksiebzehn View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2015 at 11:10
Originally posted by Rick Robson Rick Robson wrote:

No tricksiebzehn, unfortunately I don't have a last.fm profile, but looking forward to, thanks for sharing yours, will check it out.

Yeah ELP (as well as The Nice) managed quite well this matter, but I don't know Trace, is it from Netherlands? I don't know where I read once something about this band, and forgot to look for their discography.

Right, Trace is a prog act from Netherlands, at least the keyboarder is from Ekseption as far as I know. I would say they are a trio like ELP, playing music like Ekseption. The Track "Gaillarde" from album "Trace" is really good.

I remebered just now that Univers Zero make pretty good prog without/little use of guitars as far as I know, but just listened to "Uzed" until now.

Edited by tricksiebzehn - March 03 2015 at 11:12

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2015 at 13:35
Originally posted by tricksiebzehn tricksiebzehn wrote:

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

try these on for size...

two of my most favorite modern groups. .and damnit no one likes hard and heavy guitar orientated stuff more than me...

Ancestor's Tale: I like it, but the lyrics. Would be better without vocals for me. But will check this band out later.
Alec K. Redfearn and the Eyesores: Sounds ok, but the singer is not my cup of tea. Also, this is a bit to far from prog to me. But thanks anyways.

Yeah.. I can dig and understand the thoughts on Redfearn.. it is out there. Not for everyone LOL

However do check deeper into the Ut Gret album... was on many best of year lists. Even topping some, it did both Raffs and mine. A fantastic album, and the vocal tracks are the exception rather than the rule with the group. They are an instrumental group that had a guest vocalist on that paricular album and for only half the album.  I love them..  and especially her voice.. but if you don't dig.. still do check the band out.  I do think the whole of that album is now on Bandcamp for listening.

Edited by micky - March 03 2015 at 13:35
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2015 at 18:01
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2015 at 18:40
Voice of Eye - Vespers

Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2015 at 18:48

Originally posted by Rick Robson Rick Robson wrote:

No tricksiebzehn, unfortunately I don't have a last.fm profile, but looking forward to, thanks for sharing yours, will check it out.

Yeah ELP (as well as The Nice) managed quite well this matter, but I don't know Trace, is it from Netherlands? I don't know where I read once something about this band, and forgot to look for their discography.

Right, Trace is a prog act from Netherlands, at least the keyboarder is from Ekseption as far as I know. I would say they are a trio like ELP, playing music like Ekseption. The Track "Gaillarde" from album "Trace" is really good.
Trace - Gaillarde

Wow! Very beautiful music indeed, one more band for sure that I guess will be very pleased when dig into them. And right on, really felt there classical influences too (somewhat in the mood of Bach and Mozart), particularly the begining of this song somehow reminded me of it, returning to it again in the really stunning final part, great music. Been reading about Ekseption, very interesting band to check out too.

I'm suspecting you already know the swedish Par Lindh Project, very beautiful music, strong classical influences there too, and such a catchy rocking melodies, though almost no guitars at all, well so far I have only the album "Gothic Impressions" and love the whole album, now looking forward to the rest of his discography, listened to "Sky Door" (album Time Mirror) and loved it too. Interesting to point out that Par Lindh plays just 1 minute of electric guitar in "The Cathedral", and I guess that's all about guitar playing in Gothic Impressions.

I remebered just now that Univers Zero make pretty good prog without/little use of guitars as far as I know, but just listened to "Uzed" until now.
Univers Zero - Presage

Right on, other hit on the spot, many thanks for your suggestions! Although UZ is far commented here in PA, I never gave priority to it, but after listening to this superbly interesting track it made up my mind, and if I'm not wrong I felt some chamber music influences, somehow most amazed me at my first listen so far, is that an electric violin which begins a stunning crescendo melody at the third min.? just amazing! Exciting the whole music indeed.

Edited by Rick Robson - March 03 2015 at 18:51

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
Daniele Spadavecchia View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2015 at 23:14
Le Orme, on all albums before Smogmagica when they eventually added Tolo Marton.
Lots of Hammond sounds and piano. On those early albums, like Felona e Sorona or Uomo Di Pezza, the bass player Aldo Tagliapietra would play accompaniment on acoustic guitar on quiet songs, but the keyboards are so prominent, that you will like them a lot.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123