Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed4 little gems (131)

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which one do you prefer ?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [25.00%]
5 [41.67%]
2 [16.67%]
2 [16.67%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: 4 little gems (131)
    Posted: March 02 2015 at 03:17
Graced Lightning : The Graced Lightning side
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cu5i-HKM19s

Igginbottom : Igginbottom's Wrench
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WknWYPaw47o

Musique Noise : Fulmines Integralis
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BpkvcFquZU

Snakefinger : Manual Of Errors 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRJMQKAer8I

hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2015 at 03:19

Musique Noise - "Fulmines Integralis" 

(Musea Records 2002/1988, FGBG 4409.AR)

From Aural Innovations #23 (April 2003)

Musique Noise are a French ensemble whose music is influenced in equal parts by Magma inspired Zheul, jazz fusion and progressive rock. Fulmines Integralis is a reissue of the bands 1988 release on Musea entitled Fulmines Regularis, plus 4 tracks recorded in 1992 for a never released second album.

Much of the bands music has a cool jazz sound, but also a more progressive edge that reminded me of Soft Machine, Gong, and perhaps even In The Wake Of Poseiden era King Crimson. However, the near operatic chanting vocals of Isabelle Bruston, Cornelia Schmid and Jean-Philippe Gallet inject a power and majesty into the music that reveals the bands Magma influences, and indeed there are several tracks that see the band traveling more overtly into Magma territory. The intensity level is high and the music exciting as Musique Noise keep the listener on seats edge with their continual shifts through multiple themes. The band alternates between fiery and calmer sections, though even the slower sections function as fervent buildups. "L'etroit Huit" is a standout track being a killer mixture of Magma and Gong, perhaps even some Nektar circa Recycled but with a heavier progressive rock keyboard presence. "Ragnarok" is an excellent piece of prog-fusion, and dig that electric piano! Overall, Musique Noise are a band that excel at fire, passion and well thought out complexity. Recommended to fans of all things Zheul who aren't looking for a mere clone of Magma.

Reviewed by Jerry Kranitz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwyTFA_wvsI

zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2015 at 16:24
I know the last two and I voted for Snakefinger. I think you already had the Musique Noise in an earlier poll but maybe I'm just hallucinating.
Magma America Great Make Again
sublime220 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2015 at 16:49
WOO! GO IGGINBOTTOM!!
There is no dark side in the moon, really... Matter of fact, it's all dark...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2015 at 17:45
Thanks guys. 

Great album Ben. Just a word : JAZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Darryl, maybe you're right. But since the last updates on P.A, I can't have access to my series of polls anymore. 
I have a good memory, but not that good Big smile

Can you do something, special collaborator ?
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2015 at 18:37
Here's the first one you did (currently on page 91 of the 'Prog Polls' section):

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=95165
Magma America Great Make Again
sublime220 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2015 at 18:51
Are they not on PA or am I just blind? Amazing band. Sad they only had one album though, but in my mind, it ranks up with some of the top albums of prog.
There is no dark side in the moon, really... Matter of fact, it's all dark...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2015 at 00:20
No Ben, they are not. The very first band of Allan HOLDSWORTH, I think. I'm not sure. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2015 at 00:24
Yes Darryl, when I enter "four", I access to this one, but with "4", it's impossible. It only works with "Hellogoodbye", but it sends me back to all my ancient posts. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2015 at 00:29

Sound: This album is not what I thought it would be upon picking it up and having heardAllan Holdsworth's later material, it absolutely shocked me but I wasn't disappointing though even though I expected more hard rock with jazz fusion on here it's still jazz fusion with progressive rock, but more softer that silky smooth music is still raging underneath though with just as much vigor as I expected with soft melodies of psychedelic jazz encompassing here. This is unfortunately the only album that would ever be released by this short lived group and they would have vanished most likely if it weren't for the featuring of Allan Holdsworth, even though they were a tight knit they just wouldn't have made it as some others have suffered too with harder rock coming into popularity. This would be a similar effort as "The Cheerful Insanity of Giles Giles and Fripp" but in a more adventurous and psychedelic and pensive piece but similar in the usage of jazz and leaning towards the highly influential genre with both albums starting the career of highly underrated and brilliant jazz fusion guitarists (probably a coupe of the greatest ever, but go unrecognized like evenFrank Zappa would be or highly overlooked at the minimum).Dave Freeman would be the second member besides Holdsworth to really emerge from the rest although they were all tight musicians. Freeman would have various desultory moments of thrilling solos of such consistency while maintaining a high rapidity. // 10

Lyrics: The only track on here that is not an original group composition ("California Dreamin' Written by John Phillips") is a munificent display of original style added to completely change a song into something that became the group's own. Holdsworthwould contribute most of the songwriting on here next to bassist Mick Skelly who was on bass, the whole group would chip in to make the song "Out of Conclusion."

"The Castle" starts off with the mellow but complex noodling that would arrive then goes into the magical vocals and smooth jazz groove with some floating ambiguous lyrics and the insane amount of minute playing flying across the fretboard is where I begin really love the album with soft interludes building intensity for smooth jazz drum rolls. "Out of Confusion" shows that Steve Robinson was an established guitarist, both him andHoldsworth were good but Holdsworth takes the main leads but they're able to do some bits in sync that are just amazing with the whole binary in sync guitar work that seems impossible. "California Dreamin'" is a more depressive and all instrumental as most of the tracks mainly focus more on instrumentals as it's all built around the structure of composing pieces that make way for the tremendous amount of admirable and tenacious guitar work. "The Witch" has great polished flawless vocals over mellow tones then goes into what the whole aim of the album is for with Holdsworth making his way around high speed notes and Steve Robinson always there to have his back with additional rhythms and his own little noodling bits. "Sweet Dry Biscuits" really has some impossibly fast progressions in all aspects but it's still smooth to follow but almost all the tracks have this same complex manner with some marvelous drum fills and overall constant endless insane amount of high speed fretwork and original chords. Of course Allan's guitar playing is simply marvelous, but the surprising element is his vocal performance, which is low key and suitable for this kind of Jazz oriented music. The material is experimental and interesting, shunning every cliches and convention. // 9

Overall Impression: In an era of Marshall stacks and Big Muffs with bands like the Jimi Hendrix Experience raging and newly forming hard rock acts, Holdsworth and fellowIgginbottom guitarist Steven Robinson favored intelligently-arranged tone clusters performed with no amp distortion and the treble rolled off in a beautiful subtle calm psychedelic manner. At times, as in Sweet Dry Biscuits, they sound like Captain Beefheart and His Magic Band if Sun Ra had been leading the group instead of Don Van Vliet. The revelation this reissue reveals is quite remarkable, Allan Holdsworth patently emerged from the womb with his unreasonable talent fully formed. A mere age of twenty-one in 1969, he was already capable of unleashing those dazzling note flurries of dancing fluency that still make fellow guitarists lob their Les Pauls into the Thames. The second revelation is that he had a wonderfully appealing singing voice while playing such amazing guitar progressions, his voice almost sounding like a younger version Chet Baker who had one of the smoothest and most angelic jazz vocals of all time, Holdsworth's singing can almost come close to that on here with furious but subtle playing to match. The band name may have led audiences to expect a brutalist combination in the Stackwaddy vein; nothing could have prepared them for the preoccupied, jazzy insularity and pin-drop quietude of "Igginbottom's Wrench" which is one of the highest points of this album making way for some of the best jazz rock soloing and music that dabbles more on the intellectual jazz side all done in finesse with late night moody atmospherics crossed with prog jazz. // 10

Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2015 at 06:15
From those tracks, I voted for Graced Lightning, really nice Heavy Jazz Cool
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2015 at 08:12
An extremely rare, short, but splendid album, Samuel. Thumbs Up 1000 euros on Discogs Ouch
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2015 at 11:40

Graced Lightning ‎– The Graced Lightning Side
Label:
Not On Label ‎– GL-1
Format:
Vinyl, LP, Single Sided 
Released:
Genre:
Style:

TracklistHide Credits

1Neon Nightmare
Written-By – Burnstein*
5:37
2Land Of The Brain
Written-By – Gand*
5:05
3The Tot
Written-By – Gand*
7:20

Credits

• Drums, Vibraphone, Performer [Thunder Sheet, Bird], Voice, Chimes, Percussion – George Edward
  • Guitar, Rhythm Guitar, Bass Guitar – Chris Herman (2)
  • Piano, Synthesizer, Mandolin [Electric], Voice – Joan Burnstein
  • Producer, Guitar, Rhythm Guitar, Bass Guitar – Gary Gand

Notes

Recorded 5/30/75 - 6/1/75 at Golden Voice Studios, Pekin, Illinois

An exceptionally well done instrumental progressive rock album by this obscure group from Chicago. Recorded only to one side of the LP, there are 3 tracks totaling 18 minutes. And not a moment wasted. Excellent keyboards/piano, coupled with inventive guitar solos. At times the music is very complex. Doesn't sound like anyone really, except maybe Virginia's Polyphony from a few years prior. Would make an excellent reissue with another group who had a short album - like Bounty maybe? CDRWL.

Priority: 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noBxuvW3Bbw
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2015 at 14:40
^^ Stern Smile Good thing the Internet exists Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2015 at 02:26
That would be more economic to buy it in a records store.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2015 at 10:09

Philip Charles Lithman (June 17, 1949 - July 1, 1987), who performed under the stage name Snakefinger, was an English musician, singer and songwriter. A multi-instrumentalist, he was best known for his guitar and violin work and his collaborations withThe Residents.
In 1982 Lithman formed his backing band The Vestal Virgins with former Captain Beefheart sideman Eric Drew Feldman. Snakefinger and The Vestal Virgins released Manual of Errors on Ralph in 1982. This was followed by the blues cover album Snakefinger's History of the Blues: Live in Europe in 1984 and a new collection of largely original material in 1986 called Night of Desirable Objects.

Died July 1, 1987

Wiki Informations here

Snakefinger ( Guitar , Sing )
George B. George ( Bass , Sing )
Erick Drew Feldman ( Ketboards , Synthesizers )
Miguel Bertel ( Guitar , Sing )
Jonny B. Ryan ( Drums )

Enchant X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2015 at 16:01
Thanks for the links , I`ll check those out and get back to you. Approve
 Post Reply Post Reply