FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew Live Yes Album/Box Set

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Live Yes Album/Box Set
    Posted: March 02 2015 at 07:32
http://prog.teamrock.com/news/2015-03-02/yes-to-launch-lost-live-recordings-1972

now THIS is something Yes fans are off to hear for sure. though let's hope these are better recorded than their debut live effort, lol. LOL

Edited by Michael678 - March 02 2015 at 09:17
Progrockdude
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2015 at 09:09
Hmm, I'm not sure that I really need more live versions of those songs, classic though they are.
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2015 at 09:18
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Hmm, I'm not sure that I really need more live versions of those songs, classic though they are.

well, they are from the classic era (literally).
Progrockdude
Clepsydra View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2015 at 10:40
I HAVE to have this! Thank God, it is under $100.00!
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2015 at 10:51
Originally posted by Clepsydra Clepsydra wrote:

I HAVE to have this! Thank God, it is under $100.00!

how did you figure tha..... wait......ahhhhhh.....still may be too expensive for me though. Cry
Progrockdude
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2015 at 12:46
A 14-disc box set??? Okay, I will wait for my library to buy it. I like Yes, but this is madness.
The "Yesshows" was already a 3-CD set, there are a lot of other live archives availables, I'm not going to spend half of my salaries/allowances on this monster!
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2015 at 13:33
Like a fool I got my hopes up that these recordings would be with Bruford. I might have gone for the 2CD selection if they had been. Guess I still might if the sound quality is substantially better than Yessongs, which I find unlistenable.
Clepsydra View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2015 at 16:41
UPDATE!

I jumped the gun on this;  I also felt that they would have the amazing Bruford.

I think I will pass....

Edited by Clepsydra - March 02 2015 at 16:41
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2015 at 21:54
I usually want everything that comes by Yes, but why would I want a set of 7 shows from the same tour with just about the same set-list? And why would I want any of this shows if I already have Yessongs? If at least this was a new live album with Bill Bruford still on Drums, then that would be another matter and I wouldn't think about it.
Imperial Zeppelin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2015 at 22:00
Yes pulling a King Crimson. 

Nice
"Hey there, Dog Man, now I drink from your bowl."
freyacat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2015 at 23:37
A 14-disc version of Yessongs is my dream come true!  To me, this is Yes at their best, when it was all new and exciting, and the possibilities seemed endless.  Perhaps there will be 7 different versions of the Chris Squire bass solo in Shilinderia Praematurus!
sad creature nailed upon the coloured door of time
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2015 at 01:50
Might go for it but will largely depend on the price. I certainly wouldn't pay £100 for it but if it retails for less than £50 then I will consider it. Good quality bootlegs and 'straight from boards' type recordings usually sound better than the traditional live albums to my ears.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2015 at 16:17
yeah... passing on this.  Now with a bit more period variety I'd have been all over it. Especially at that price. Not bad actually,
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2015 at 10:15
This would have been much more interesting if they had released it as a 14 CD box covering 7 different tours (one each from Fragile tour to the Drama tour).  As it is, it's the same 2 CDs' worth of songs 7 times.  Don't think I really need this one.  I can just buy 7 copies of Yessongs and get the same effect. 
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2015 at 05:22
I doubt every performance will be exactly the sameLOL

I found the ELP bootleg series very interesting as even on the same tour and on the same tracks there were very obvious differences. I also discovered that ELP were a lot 'looser' when they thought they were NOT being recorded for a live album. Live albums can sound a bit stiff for this very reason.
Guillermo View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2015 at 06:19
YES lost again a very good opportunity to release more live recordings with the Anderson-Squire-Bruford-Wakeman-Howe line-up. I think that from "Yessongs" the best recorded songs are the ones which were recorded with this line-up ("Perpetual Change", "Long Distance Runaround" and "The Fish"). I don`t have anything against Alan White, but, as he have said in interviews, he thinks that it was a bit unfair from the band  to release a live album like  "Yessongs" when he was still learning how to play with the band. He did a great job under the circunstances of having to learn all the material in three days before the tour started, and his performances are good, but his drum kit did not sound very well in "Yessongs", and maybe it was more due to the tuning or the recording of the individual drums (mainly the snare drum) that anything else. And as a whole the recordings of the other songs of "Yessongs" with White on drums are not very good, as many people have said. Maybe YES should have released the rest of the songs with Bruford from the same recordings of the same concerts they released with him in "Yessongs". I am not going to spend my money on buying the same set list of songs from  "Yessongs" from several concerts of the same tour.

Edited by Guillermo - March 07 2015 at 06:30
Avatar: Photo of Solar Eclipse, Mexico City, July 1991. A great experience to see. Maybe once in a lifetime.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2015 at 07:11
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I doubt every performance will be exactly the sameLOL

I found the ELP bootleg series very interesting as even on the same tour and on the same tracks there were very obvious differences. I also discovered that ELP were a lot 'looser' when they thought they were NOT being recorded for a live album. Live albums can sound a bit stiff for this very reason.

good point.Clap Still not good enough to plunk down the jack for the set, but still a good point.  LOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2015 at 11:26
Hi,

I can't believe these folks ... still not showing anything from TFTO, or even Relayer. I'm sick and tired of the same old crap!

It's not worth buying, unless you want to make sure Roger Dean gets his nickels ... but this is just another crass commercial attempt by a few members to rip as much money as they can.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2015 at 13:22
yeah... it would have been cool to get a official live release with the whole of the Tales tour..  or even the relayer tour just to get Soundchaser live man.  The QPR version just make the itch harder to scratch with the horrid quality.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2015 at 03:50
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

I can't believe these folks ... still not showing anything from TFTO, or even Relayer. I'm sick and tired of the same old crap!

It's not worth buying, unless you want to make sure Roger Dean gets his nickels ... but this is just another crass commercial attempt by a few members to rip as much money as they can.

the old adage 'you pays your money and you takes your choice' is always true

It depends entirely on price for me. Yep it smells a bit but if they make it reasonably priced then I think it could be a good purchase. The only price I've seen quoted for it so far is about £66 (not inc P&P) and I will not be getting it for that. If it goes well and makes commercial sense then perhaps further releases will follow. Yes as far as I know is not a registered charityWink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>