Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat's the Dope? Drugs and Rock!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2015 at 11:56
Originally posted by Smurph Smurph wrote:

Personally I don't know what Dean is talking about because I don't really go to big shows where there are tons of people. Most of the shows I see are around 15-40 people in attendance.
I have had my enjoyment of many concerts spoilt by inconsiderate fnckwits high on drugs. While its okay to sit and listen to Ozric Tentacles or Sigur Ros in a fug of hashish smoke, it's another to be concerned for your personal safety at a Hawkwind concert with idiots tripping on acid.
Originally posted by Smurph Smurph wrote:

And don't get me wrong. Most dumbass people that take drugs never grow to love good music. I'm just saying that it is much easier for people that are more closed-minded musically to accept the weird music when they aren't sober, and as long as they aren't personally in my way, who am I to care what they do? It's their life.
This may be true, but I very much doubt it, it seems a little specious to me. Certainly there are druggies in every subculture and every music scene, that in itself is no guarantee that drugs would open the listener to music is in anyway more weird or avant garde as a result of any drug-related association. There is little or nothing 'out-there' about reggae, 60s mod-scene, punk, disco or dance music, or any of the other music-scenes that have a wide-spread drug usage associated with them, (and I include "psych" in that crass generalisation). If anything the contrary is true - as the drug-usage increases the complexity of the music that the users seem to gravitate to decreases and its repetitiveness increases (and I include jamband and most improv music into that unresearched generalisation).
What?
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2015 at 12:46
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

This may be true, but I very much doubt it, it seems a little specious to me. Certainly there are druggies in every subculture and every music scene, that in itself is no guarantee that drugs would open the listener to music is in anyway more weird or avant garde as a result of any drug-related association. There is little or nothing 'out-there' about reggae, 60s mod-scene, punk, disco or dance music, or any of the other music-scenes that have a wide-spread drug usage associated with them, (and I include "psych" in that crass generalisation). If anything the contrary is true - as the drug-usage increases the complexity of the music that the users seem to gravitate to decreases and its repetitiveness increases (and I include jamband and most improv music into that unresearched generalisation).

I would say that the substances open their minds to any kind of music, and it is entirely related to who they are around. If I wanted to show them reggae music or EDM, I could have. But because they were open to everything I was able to show them the weird.

I would agree that usually people get into more repetitive music but it's all dependant who they let themselves around.

Myself, I was the one guy that would only sit through ONE Grateful Dead DVD. I seriously could not do two in a row. Haha. I had to be like ENOUGH and force them to listen to Emperor. And I'll tell you, they loved the hell out of Prometheus.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2015 at 19:55
   I could never imagine listening to any of the music I do while using drugs or alcohol. Actually, I have no desire to take drugs or drink,period.. 

Edited by presdoug - March 06 2015 at 01:55
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2015 at 00:24
When I was a young man (as all good stories begin.......), my 3 favourite bands were The Beach Boys, Split Enz and Sherbet. Then I found myself loving the 'We Don't Need No Education' song by 'whoever'. Then The Wall was acquired, then my sis was into Genesis 1983 S/T, I liked what I heard, then followed up on Floyd and Genesis, then Yes, then Iron Maiden (thanks to a friend I didn't see for a few years, then saw again, and he'd 'changed' a bit).......
Then it was Metallica, dope and then following up on most bands that played songs over 7 minutes long.
So, music was first, then 'various' mind-expanding antics, lots of dodgy folks, and here I am now.....
Lovin' Prog, sober (to an extent), still dealing with f**k-ups from the past 20-odd years later, ( yeah, I should visit the 'shrink' forum) and just lapping up Prog. With that in mind, many things lots of Prog-heads may not find too exciting (I cop a lot of flak regarding Pendragon), blow me away.   
So the statement of 'taking drugs just to appreciate music' is a rather shallow assumption.   
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2015 at 08:45
I guess I better voice an opinion before I'm cast as the eternal PA stoner . LOL

I was way too interested and in the actual sound of recordings which I felt was diminished by any drug intake. I remember having a 'eureka' moment at some record listening function, when I suddenly realized that the drums and cymbals of one of the album's tracks that was being played, were recorded separately. Needless to say, the partiers could have cared less about my listening 'discoveries', and I felt the same way about theirs. I did partake of some herbal substance from time to time, but got out of that when I started traveling abroad. Hassles with foreign customs officials was a constant nightmare for me, as I never knew what the roadies or sound techs I was traveling with may have had on their person when arriving in a foreign port of call.

Edited by SteveG - March 06 2015 at 08:46
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12