13 [15.29%]
29 [34.12%]
22 [25.88%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2015 at 07:32
MC, then CaS, then Fugazi and Script both at the same level.

I'm with Moogtron, MC has this flow from start to end, not a single bad track on it.

By the way, how many posts to i need to actually be able to participate in the poll?

digdug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2015 at 08:00
Script for me

They're all good though
Prog On!
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2015 at 08:12
Fugazi for wide range of FISH voices. But I can't ignore CLUTCHING . Its really perfect album.
sublime220 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2015 at 08:25
Originally posted by rocko rocko wrote:

By the way, how many posts to i need to actually be able to participate in the poll?
There is no dark side in the moon, really... Matter of fact, it's all dark...
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2015 at 09:07
Misplaced Childhood if only for the fact that it was nearly all I could stomach of Herr Fish. And long live Ian Mosley!
Libor10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2015 at 11:10
The third one here - Misplaced Childhood. Not by wide margin, but anyway...
Enchant X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2015 at 15:53
Clutching at Straws
tboyd1802 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2015 at 16:25
Clutching at Straws for me, followed by Misplaced Childhood.
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2015 at 20:03
1 - Misplaced Childhood
2 - Clutching At Straws
3 - Script For a Jester´s tears
4 - Fugazi
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2015 at 00:47
FUGAZI thanks. This has been my ongoing fave from the boys since 1989. Love all their Fish albums, but never as much as this one. Side 2 alone is worth 6 stars...........
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2015 at 01:44
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

not a fan of either the debut or CAS (aside from Incommunicado) . 

Funny. Clutching at Straws is my favorite Marillion album. 
Not sure how to describe what i like about it. Maybe it feels a bit more restrained? I don't get an overwhelming symphonic feeling when listening to it. 

But Incommunicado is one the lesser tracks for me. I think it is because the main reason i dislike a lot of symphonic and neo music is because i'm not a huge fan of keyboards. At least not as a strong lead instrument. 

I understand completely . Of course my perspective as an ELP fan is that Mark Kelly's sprightly synth playing on Incommunicado is rather nice. I really miss that side of him in the modern version of Marillion.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2015 at 01:49
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Script for me. There's just something special about it, particularly the title song, which is perhaps my favourite Marillion song (well, I know very little about Hogarth's era, though). I find it strange that Fugazi is winning this one, since I remember the rating of this albums is stronger for Script and Misplaced Childhood. Plus, I don't actually have that album, but have a few live albums which include most of the songs on the album between them, and I don't remember liking any song from it, except for the title song, and even that one is not entirely enjoyable (first half is so-so, second half is wonderful).

Honestly not sure if you can judge the album based on live versions of the songs. That said if you don't like the live version of Assassing then its unlikely you will like the studio version. I especially love the version from the Lorely festival (87?) which absolutely smokes the studio version.

Edited by richardh - March 06 2015 at 01:49
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2015 at 01:52
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

I don't like Script. I think it's too immature. The only very good song, one of Marillion's best for me, is Forgotten Sons. Garden PArty is another good one, but in its whole, the album has never convinced me. I like the remaining three, Fugazi a bit more than the others, but the one I like most is Real to Reel as it contains the best of the first two albums and Cinderella Search from the first singles.

the other thing about Script is the lack of Grendel which is so obviously the best thing they did in the very early days.

Edited by richardh - March 06 2015 at 01:52
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2015 at 12:01

I don't like Script. I think it's too immature. The only very good song, one of Marillion's best for me, is Forgotten Sons. Garden PArty is another good one, but in its whole, the album has never convinced me. I like the remaining three, Fugazi a bit more than the others, but the one I like most is Real to Reel as it contains the best of the first two albums and Cinderella Search from the first singles.

the other thing about Script is the lack of Grendel which is so obviously the best thing they did in the very early days.

are GRENDEL QUESTION: LOL
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2015 at 12:13
Originally posted by geekfreak geekfreak wrote:

What sucks is having reused the final guitar riff of Grendel for the final part of Forgotten Sons, that's why Grendel is not on Script
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2015 at 12:44
^That and it's 17 minute length would have made it hard to fit on the album.  They would have had to eliminate 2 other songs from the album to make it fit.  These were the days when they couldn't cram 700 hours worth of music onto a CD (ok, they still can't, but some bands seem like they really try nowadays). 

My list would be:
1. Clutching At Straws
2. Script
3. Childhood
4. Fugazi 
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2015 at 12:49

Originally posted by geekfreak geekfreak wrote:

What sucks is having reused the final guitar riff of Grendel for the final part of Forgotten Sons, that's why Grendel is not on Script
yes your Deadright
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2015 at 22:13

Script for me. There's just something special about it, particularly the title song, which is perhaps my favourite Marillion song (well, I know very little about Hogarth's era, though). I find it strange that Fugazi is winning this one, since I remember the rating of this albums is stronger for Script and Misplaced Childhood. Plus, I don't actually have that album, but have a few live albums which include most of the songs on the album between them, and I don't remember liking any song from it, except for the title song, and even that one is not entirely enjoyable (first half is so-so, second half is wonderful).

Honestly not sure if you can judge the album based on live versions of the songs. That said if you don't like the live version of Assassing then its unlikely you will like the studio version. I especially love the version from the Lorely festival (87?) which absolutely smokes the studio version.

Yeah, I sort of understand what you mean. However, if I have heard most of the album through live versions I have and liked none of them, as you said, I don't expect to like much more the original ones, so I don't really feel like spending (perhaps in this case wasting) money on an album I already believe I won't get much enjoyment from.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2015 at 05:15

Yeah, I sort of understand what you mean. However, if I have heard most of the album through live versions I have and liked none of them, as you said, I don't expect to like much more the original ones, so I don't really feel like spending (perhaps in this case wasting) money on an album I already believe I won't get much enjoyment from.

okay although sometimes 'the package' of certain songs in one place works though. I found this with Gentle Giant in particular
Enchant X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2015 at 15:37
Best marillion must feature Ian Mosley for me , Pointer is OK but Mosley beats his head in on the kit.  Embarrassed
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>