Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2015 at 23:52
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Script for me. There's just something special about it, particularly the title song, which is perhaps my favourite Marillion song (well, I know very little about Hogarth's era, though). I find it strange that Fugazi is winning this one, since I remember the rating of this albums is stronger for Script and Misplaced Childhood. Plus, I don't actually have that album, but have a few live albums which include most of the songs on the album between them, and I don't remember liking any song from it, except for the title song, and even that one is not entirely enjoyable (first half is so-so, second half is wonderful).

Honestly not sure if you can judge the album based on live versions of the songs. That said if you don't like the live version of Assassing then its unlikely you will like the studio version. I especially love the version from the Lorely festival (87?) which absolutely smokes the studio version.

Yeah, I sort of understand what you mean. However, if I have heard most of the album through live versions I have and liked none of them, as you said, I don't expect to like much more the original ones, so I don't really feel like spending (perhaps in this case wasting) money on an album I already believe I won't get much enjoyment from.

okay although sometimes 'the package' of certain songs in one place works though. I found this with Gentle Giant in particular

I wonder if this is the reason I rather disliked the Post-Octopus Gentle Giant songs I have heard... I have only heard them from the Playing the Fool versions (plus hearing a few times Power and the Glory on internet), and absolutley disliked them. However, I chose to give the early albums a chance and really liked them, specially the first two ones. I didn't feel like getting the rest of their discography, though.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2015 at 01:08

Script for me. There's just something special about it, particularly the title song, which is perhaps my favourite Marillion song (well, I know very little about Hogarth's era, though). I find it strange that Fugazi is winning this one, since I remember the rating of this albums is stronger for Script and Misplaced Childhood. Plus, I don't actually have that album, but have a few live albums which include most of the songs on the album between them, and I don't remember liking any song from it, except for the title song, and even that one is not entirely enjoyable (first half is so-so, second half is wonderful).

Honestly not sure if you can judge the album based on live versions of the songs. That said if you don't like the live version of Assassing then its unlikely you will like the studio version. I especially love the version from the Lorely festival (87?) which absolutely smokes the studio version.

Yeah, I sort of understand what you mean. However, if I have heard most of the album through live versions I have and liked none of them, as you said, I don't expect to like much more the original ones, so I don't really feel like spending (perhaps in this case wasting) money on an album I already believe I won't get much enjoyment from.

okay although sometimes 'the package' of certain songs in one place works though. I found this with Gentle Giant in particular

I wonder if this is the reason I rather disliked the Post-Octopus Gentle Giant songs I have heard... I have only heard them from the Playing the Fool versions (plus hearing a few times Power and the Glory on internet), and absolutley disliked them. However, I chose to give the early albums a chance and really liked them, specially the first two ones. I didn't feel like getting the rest of their discography, though.
this as two possible out comes its ever yes or NO...Ouch 
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2015 at 03:40

I believe so as certainly in my case Gentle Giant didn't click with me until I heard The Power And The Glory (properly Wink) although I already had most of those songs on The Edge Of Twilight. I'm not convinced btw that Playing The Fool is as brilliant as many make it out to be. I rather like the BBC recorded live versions a lot more but that's an aside.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2015 at 03:47
I don't think the band topped an abso-f**king-lutely immaculate and flawless playing side than She Chameleon-Incubus-Fugazi. Nope, not even Script...........maybe Grendel......
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2015 at 04:13
Script
Fugazi
Misplaced Childhood
Clutching at straws.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
proggman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2015 at 20:23

Clutching at Straws.

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2015 at 23:29

I believe so as certainly in my case Gentle Giant didn't click with me until I heard The Power And The Glory (properly Wink) although I already had most of those songs on The Edge Of Twilight. I'm not convinced btw that Playing The Fool is as brilliant as many make it out to be. I rather like the BBC recorded live versions a lot more but that's an aside.

Well, I might give them a new chance for the rest of their discography... eventually, once I have advanced more with other albums I want to get. I remember someone posting reviews for all of GG albums a little while ago, in which he had an absolutley great review for... I don't remember if "In a Glass House" or "Free Hand"... perhaps I should check out which and begin with that one.
The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2015 at 08:37
Misplaced Childhood
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2015 at 11:11
Script for me, fantastic. Fugazi is okay. I can't stand Misplaced childhood. I don't know Clutching at Straws.
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2015 at 11:54
It used to be Misplaced Childhood, even saw them perform the whole thing live. Lately though my favorite has been CAS. It's a really personal album that I can relate to on a visceral level.
TexasKing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2017 at 14:08
Misplaced Childhood all the way!
maryes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2017 at 17:35
Script
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2017 at 00:39
Script 
Misplaced Childhood
Clutching At Straws
Fugazi

If it's songs you're talking about than it's MC and CAS, but if it's about album concepts and the way the songs flow from the first to the last, then it's Script.
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2017 at 04:48
Fugazi. The others are fine but this one worked best as the complete album for me.
RoeDent View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2017 at 13:29
Probably Misplaced Childhood, but Fugazi comes close. Then Clutching and Script, in that order. Clutching loses me a bit in the middle (after That Time of the Night; it regains me at Incommunicado though, and has me for pretty much the rest of it afterwards). And the only "wow" moment on Script for me is the end of Chelsea Monday.
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2017 at 14:37
My favorite Marillion album is Clutching At Straws, but I have much admiration for Misplaced Childhood. You can keep everything else.

Edited by Mirror Image - May 19 2017 at 14:37
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2017 at 14:47
The one that sounds the most like Genesis.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Dopeydoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2017 at 13:03
Misplaced, just over Script
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2017 at 14:57
At various point in time, I'd have picked the other 3 as my faves....but today...I'd have to go with Fugazi.  Tastes change, sometimes, with certain bands.....
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2017 at 13:25
Is it wrong that the only Fish-era Marillion album I like is Misplaced Childhood?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>