Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The intergenerational appeal of progressive music
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe intergenerational appeal of progressive music

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The intergenerational appeal of progressive music
    Posted: March 05 2015 at 12:45
Something I've pondered a bit, half as a result of having studied art history at university and as a result thinking about music in a very "cultural historian" manner, is which progressive rock/metal endures in historical influence and what fades. See also the thread I started about generation gaps in the progressive music community, and a more recent one about the slang term "dad rock" used sarcastically to refer to classic rock which isn't also popular with generations younger than its original audience.

The thing I started asking myself a while ago, I think it was in a discussion of music elsewhere, is how much the perception of which 1960s/1970s progressive rock has "aged the best" basically comes down to its inspiration to later music subcultures. It started when I thought that King Crimson's heavy mid-1970s triptych of Larks' Tongues in Aspic, Starless and Bible Black and Red has aged way better than not just their other classic albums, but also most other canonical LPs from that scene... it certainly doesn't sound as "1970s". I then wondered if that might have something to do with how much the abstract approach to heavy guitar playing that Robert Fripp introduced would shape heavy metal history, an influence most obviously felt in Voivod but also modern black/death metal as heard in for example Morbid Angel. Then there's how the slow-burn tension-and-release composition style of much post-rock can be traced back to those three LPs through Slint's Spiderland.

I've also noticed a similar thing with the Krautrock movement, which seems to on average have way more intergenerational appeal with people my age than the "Anglo-prog" of its time. Maybe this could be a result of the Teutons thinking a bit further outside the box in terms of music experimentation, however I suspect this also has something to do with Krautrock's influence on not just modern electronic music by way of Kraftwerk and Tangerine Dream but also post-punk, noise rock and so on. Notice the evolution that the Japanese noise rock band The Boredoms went through, starting as psychotic surrealist No Wave punks before turning into 21st century Kosmische Musik-revivalist space cadets.

What do you say? Would be interesting to hear some observations from people who have been around a bit longer for the rise of some of those movements. (I'm something of a novice within electronic music and noise rock, as much as I've come to love both in the last 3 years)

Edited by Toaster Mantis - March 05 2015 at 14:48
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2015 at 13:23
Your observations correspond to what I have often thought while listening to a wide range of progressive rock. Indeed, I believe that classic symphonic prog is the least likely subgenre to appeal to the younger generations, and it is not a coincidence that the majority of prog fans from the Baby Boomer generation tend to favour modern bands that have the same characteristics as the classics - hence the popularity of tribute bands such as The Musical Box or The Watch, or even of clever quasi-plagiarists as Wobbler or Glass Hammer. On the other hand, Krautrock, Electronic, RIO/Avant and even Prog Folk are the subgenres that have expanded the most outside the boundaries of prog, in some cases influencing other genres (such as New Wave), in others lending themselves to interesting instances of crossover that have attracted listeners not normally associated with the prog scene.

As to albums that have or haven't stood the test of time, I have noticed that an album like Pavlov's Dog's Pampered Menial - by many considered lightweight because of its focus on the traditional song form rather than the expanded epic - sounds remarkably "modern", almost a forerunner of the contemporary crossover prog trend. Conversely, the classic prog  sound - as embodied by Genesis, Yes, ELP and their ilk - seems to be more like a closed circle that offers very few opportunities for actual expansion, and is therefore doomed to be reproduced rather than updated. King Crimson, as you stated in your original post, are the exception to this rule, even though their recent reformation seems to me more a homage to the past than a wish to contribute to the development of modern progressive rock.
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2015 at 14:15
When I ask my 23-year-old daughter what music we should listen to while driving, her response is "Anything but Yes."  So classic symphonic prog is certainly the less likely subgenre to appeal to the younger generation in our household.  Admittedly a small and purely anecdotal sample.
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2015 at 14:27
Some of the very earliest progressive rock groups like The Moody Blues, The Nice, Tomorrow and even Traffic do seem to have fallen even more off the radar than Genesis, Jethro Tull, Yes etc. perhaps because their music isn't quite as involved compositionally.

It would be interesting to see the sales figures, by the way, to see if for example Can and Neu!'s sales spiked when The Fall and Sonic Youth mentioned them as inspiration sources. For that matter, it would not surprise me if they actually were more popular with younger generations than their own. (as was the case with 13th Floor Elevators, The Stooges and The Velvet Underground)
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2015 at 14:42
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

It would be interesting to see the sales figures, by the way, to see if for example Can and Neu!'s sales spiked when The Fall and Sonic Youth mentioned them as inspiration sources. For that matter, it would not surprise me if they actually were more popular with younger generations than their own. (as was the case with 13th Floor Elevators, The Stooges and The Velvet Underground)
On a related note, I distinctly remember the Carpenters suddenly jumping from the status of "losers" to "hip" and even "visionary" within days after David Byrne publicly professed his love for their music.  I totally think namedropping of that sort has a huge effect on public opinion. Nobody seems to even remember that virtually everyone used to agree that the Carpenters sucked.  That's how thorough the brainwashing was. (edit: come to think of it, Kim Gordon of Sonic Youth beat Byrne to the punch with her song "Tunic (Song for Karen)" a couple of years prior.  But that seemed more of a sensitive portrait of the tragic character of Karen Carpenter than a de facto endorsement of her music).

Back to topic though - I've made 2 attempts so far to write a thoughtful response to your topic, but so far have not been able to piece together my ideas in quite the way I want to.  Plus, this pesky job of mine keeps interfering.  Maybe I'll be able to pull it all together later.  Good question though, interesting ideas.

Edited by HolyMoly - March 05 2015 at 14:47
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2015 at 15:11
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

[QUOTE=Toaster Mantis]
On a related note, I distinctly remember the Carpenters suddenly jumping from the status of "losers" to "hip" and even "visionary" within days after David Byrne publicly professed his love for their music. 

I remember the same thing happening when Freddy Mercury died. Before that, everyone seemed to think that Queen's music was just overdone and how silly were those videos? Afterwards, they were geniuses.

Don't think I don't enjoy Queen, I do in limited amounts, but does anyone really think "Radio GaGa" is a good song? Similarly, you couldn't get me to sit through "Close to You" for any amount of money.

sorry if it's a bit off topic, I always find the instant canonization of the young and therefore tragically dead kind of odd.
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2015 at 19:01
At age 54, I am one of those older guys.  To me, those old classic Prog albums are what sounds normal - it is not so much what I grew up with although many of the artists received regular radio play.  No, after I learned a little bit about music, that style was just more interesting to me.  And it is still interesting even if I have heard the songs and albums a million times.  As to their longevity, I think it is because good music stands the test of time.  There was plenty of other music popular in the 70s that many people have forgotten about simply because the music was forgettable.  70s symphonic Prog transcends the times in which it was originally produced even as it remains a product of those times.  A classic is not just something that is old, but something that touches a deeper level of the experience whether it be music, literature, sculpture, architecture, painting.  This music offers something beyond the surface.  This is not to say that everybody is open to it or appreciates it.  The missus hates King Crimson because of all the atonalities but she can really get into Yes, Tull, ELP, etc.

Emigre80 - Freddie Mercury is not lauded so much for songs like Radio GaGa, which most admit is ridiculous (I still like it but I don't take it seriously) but for songs like Bohemian Rhapsody.

I still don't like the Carpenters, but I was sad when Karen passed away, and for very dumb reasons.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Gully Foyle View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2015 at 19:04
Originally posted by emigre80 emigre80 wrote:

When I ask my 23-year-old daughter what music we should listen to while driving, her response is "Anything but Yes."  So classic symphonic prog is certainly the less likely subgenre to appeal to the younger generation in our household.  Admittedly a small and purely anecdotal sample.

my 5 year old son's favorite song is 'And You And I'.....but he does not like CTTE because it 'sounds haunted'
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2015 at 19:05
Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

Emigre80 - Freddie Mercury is not lauded so much for songs like Radio GaGa, which most admit is ridiculous (I still like it but I don't take it seriously) but for songs like Bohemian Rhapsody.

I do know that, my issue was that after he died it seemed as if everyone forgot the pop hits and the silly videos, and proclaimed everything he ever touched was genius. I just remember it differently.
Raccoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2015 at 19:41

I do know that, my issue was that after he died it seemed as if everyone forgot the pop hits and the silly videos, and proclaimed everything he ever touched was genius. I just remember it differently.
The media killed Michael Jackson, pushed him over the edge. And once he passed, his music was put in even higher fame than what it was. Then the media reminisces about the good he's done.

A tragedy always sparks popularity—which is sad (no pun intended). I'm sure when Peter Gabriel passes on, perhaps early Genesis would get some radio-circulation.
      Check out my FREE album: A one-man project   The Distant Dynasty

https://distantdynasty.bandcamp.com/
Eddy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2015 at 20:23
the heavy complexity to most of the songs of prog i think can be contributed to why they have more staying power. Its also a certain personality type i believe of us "humans" that attracts us very much to prog rock. dont worry prog rock will fade thru time just like other music haha!

Edited by Eddy - March 05 2015 at 20:24
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2015 at 22:21
Originally posted by Gully Foyle Gully Foyle wrote:

my 5 year old son's favorite song is 'And You And I'.....but he does not like CTTE because it 'sounds haunted'

Obviously  you raised him at least 50% right Wink
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2015 at 22:22
Originally posted by Raccoon Raccoon wrote:

The media killed Michael Jackson, pushed him over the edge. And once he passed, his music was put in even higher fame than what it was. Then the media reminisces about the good he's done.

A tragedy always sparks popularity—which is sad (no pun intended). I'm sure when Peter Gabriel passes on, perhaps early Genesis would get some radio-circulation.

Unfortunately, there isn't enough good taste in the world to ensure that.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2015 at 03:56

She may just find their sound annoying. They're quite unique among symphonic bands. I can only listen to so much Yes before it starts irritating me. Does she like any other classic bands. She may prefer Genesis..
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2015 at 05:42
My own experience was that I wasn't into the first wave of prog until it was supposedly killed by punk in the late '80's.  I embraced the classic prog artists for a while even when they succumbed to commecialitis, then I moved on to newer artists who, may or may not be considered officially prog.  The advent of the internet opened me up to artists who I didn't encounter through friends.  I don't have kids but have been pleasantly surprised to see another generation embracing newer prog and older prog.  I have no use for people who think the only good prog happened in the '70's.  The whole embrace of prog never was about being close minded...
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2015 at 06:29
If we have learnt only one thing in life it is that we should never generalise about anything. We can make observations that appear to be true when stacked up against some circumstantial evidence and there will be exceptions that prove (tests) the rule (of thumb). 

For example, appreciation of a particular kind of music often appears to skip a generation in that a generation of music listeners will supplant the previous generation's music in favour of their own and with that be drawn towards the music that the previous generation had themselves supplanted. For example Punk disavowed itself from Prog and Classic Rock but were drawn to 60s Psych and Garage and that same generation saw a revival of 60s Mod and 50s Rockabilly. But that observation is a generalisation - there were people in that generation who did not reject Prog or (70s) Classic Rock. 

Another example is the rejection of showboating lead solos in several subgenres of Metal that emerged through the 90s that drew on the post-punk ethos, where such outlandish displays of virtuosity were frowned upon yet they coexisted alongside other Metal subgenres that harked back to solo-ridden Classic Rock where it wasn't.

There are indeed bands that appear to straddle the generation gap but we should be very cautious of making generalised assumptions on why that appeal exists for some and not others.
What?
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2015 at 07:23
^^^  I agree.  What happened is rock and metal went industrial in the 80s.  As you mentioned, an emphasis on minimalism also got wider acceptance in the 90s (which was already the norm in punk based genres).  Seen in this light, Wetton-KC appears to anticipate this trend and thus acquires the character of intergenerational appeal. But it is possible that rock may take a different direction in future that rejects this approach and thus makes Wetton-KC unappealing for that generation.  

With that said, I also recall something Larry King said about trying to avoid too many cliches and stereotyped phrases (of the time) when conversing as a tool to cut across generational barriers.  I don't have the book (where he wrote this) readily at hand so I am unable to cite the examples he mentioned.   He cited a specific phrase which if used in conversation today would sound too 60s/70s ish and may not even be understood by a lot of people.  Likewise, it may be inferred that timeless music is that which attempts to avoid the cliches of its time.  This may sort of explain where Toaster Mantis is coming from.  However, there is no saying what will sound timeless to who and the mere fact of it appearing timeless to someone doesn't also guarantee that they will like it.   Likewise, that a band may be perceived as dated by a lot of people does not stop many others from liking their music all the same.  There are no truths in music appreciation, only subjective perceptions that cannot be proved.  
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2015 at 07:47
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

She may just find their sound annoying. They're quite unique among symphonic bands. I can only listen to so much Yes before it starts irritating me. Does she like any other classic bands. She may prefer Genesis..

especially if she suffers from insomnia!!! ClapLOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2015 at 08:47
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

especially if she suffers from insomnia!!! ClapLOL

Lovers and haters in equal numbers here LOL
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2015 at 08:50
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

Some of the very earliest progressive rock groups like The Moody Blues, The Nice, Tomorrow and even Traffic do seem to have fallen even more off the radar than Genesis, Jethro Tull, Yes etc.

This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>