Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The intergenerational appeal of progressive music
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe intergenerational appeal of progressive music

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2015 at 08:57
Well two things that I know for sure. 1) Symphonic and  Electric prog is considered to sound very dated by younger people. (I'm using my sons and their friends as examples, and that is quite alright with me. My father listened to Enrico Caruso records himself, and had a stroke with any music that contained more electric equipment than a 'phonograph'.)

2) The VU and other 'influential' artists always had  albums that sold at a steady 'cult artist' level over the years, which means 'very little', but they did continue to sell when they were available. 

Edited by SteveG - March 06 2015 at 09:49
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2015 at 09:08
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

2) The VU and other 'influential' artists always had  albums that sold at a steady 'cult artist' level over the years, which means 'very little', but they did continue to sell when they were available. 
I agree. The Velvets had a continuous appeal, albeit bolstered along the way as "new" artists name-checked them, first with Bowie in the mid seventies, then with post-punk bands like the Banshees. Let's not forget that both John Cale and Lou Reed maintained a respectable level of popularity, less so perhaps Nico, but her influence on the 80s post punk and gothic scene cannot be overstated. 
What?
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2015 at 09:30
I get the impression that to most people my generation (born in 1988), The Stooges and The Velvet Underground hold much higher status than The Beatles or The Rolling Stones. Same thing with Iggy Pop and David Bowie viz Bob Dylan, or Krautrock viz Anglo-prog, they aren't seen as "a previous generation's music" the same way.

Then again, the social circles I move in are somewhat more culturally élite than the rest of the population being mostly other humanities-educated academics for the most part, so I'm not sure if they're an useful cultural barometre of their generation.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2015 at 09:37
^Well, 'cult artists' will always remain 'cult artists' over time. I think that's the key to the appeal of artists like UV, The Elevators, et al.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2015 at 13:02
My point is that with the people I know my own age, the Velvet Underground aren't just cult artists but in fact more important than the Beatles.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2015 at 13:05
(Mine is more historical because I do not think that 40 years is enough to study the whole thing. In a larger context, there is a lot more to learn and see. The subtleties of punk to punkee, is not interesting to me, or as important in a larger context.)

Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

progressive rock/metal endures in historical influence and what fades.

This also changes over time. With the advent of FM radio in America, the long cut starte superimposing the Radio AM band and its hit stuff. And with "Woodstock" it helped bring out a generation that was not afraid of the longer cut.  THAT, more than anything else, helped the music get exposed, or it might have been way harder than we think.

Byt the mid 70's when the Corporate buyouts started, the first things to go, were the FM stations that had made it big and were eating up the radio profits big time. Ten years later, it was TV's!

Musically, I think that a lot of these were much more influenced by the market conditions than they were by the music itself. There were many bands that had hits but did not sell well, just like the reverse ... and the Grateful Dead was a perfect example ... they were not on radio anywhere and they sold more, even in bootlegs which they allowed, than almost 50 or more % of all the bands out there. But as much influence as radio could/would have, or any social definition we can find, that band was not to be a commercial juggernaut like Led Zep, The Who and the Rolling Stones, which most record companies were hoping like crazy to get their hands on ... and tried hard to do so with massive advertising for anything that might at any second pop loose!

I think the "musical" this and that detail, is less of a factor, although in America one could say it was more blues and jazz oriented, but then, saying that Soft Machine/Pink floyd/Canterbury was not jazz influenced and "composition" influenced, is nuts and crazy, although they enjoyed their freedoms when they were available.

... 1960s/1970s progressive rock has "aged the best" basically comes down to its inspiration to later music subcultures....

Yes, no and maybe. Like everything else in this world, yesterday's news have a tendency to get lost and not even thought about it, and in some cases, people even go to the extreme of completely destroying the history as a way to make a point about it's very own nature.

Music, and specifically the history of all arts, is ... sometimes ... the worst about this. Absolutely the worst. You can go as far back as the first millenium that was almost exclusively destroyed in the Europe by the Church. And now, you are finding that other folks around the world are doing the same thing, be it on the Hymalaias or Africa or somewhere else.

History, would have all of these "sub-cultures" and sometimes there are/were many of them, and all of them either aided the confusion, or helped kill it, but we know that up to 1400 or 1500, Europe was systematically cleaned out of its history ... to preserve one religion! One can only hope that the lack of a "written" format, is not the reason why almost all of the arts disappeared and eventually gave rise to one of the biggest animal hunt( hate to say humanhunt - but it is what it was!) in the history of this world, by punishing people that did not fit, or felt and thought differently. Heck, this still happens today, despite the internet trying hard to create a "single" entity all over the world!

"Sub-cultures", in many ways, are also the minorities and the ones that are ignored the most. They are also, the first victims of extermination or least amount of attention. TODAY, this is not as easy, because the internet has a way of making big look small and small look big ... but it still will have a hard time getting attention, as is the case here on PA when folks, STILL, only know a top ten concept and society! AND, they base most of their thinking and attention to that concept and society, since it is all they know ... I'm not quite critical of that, except for one detail ... do you really think that "progressive' would have come alive with people thinking like that?  ... the answer is blatant and loud. NO. And sometimes, I think that we're afraid to look and study some of these things ... the "truth" in them is sad ... no secret that the Spaniards raked all of Central America, the Portuguese adn Dutch raked the Brazilians ... and so on ... not to mention what some white settlers did to American Indians ... in all of these examples, their cultures were almost single handedly destroyed and little is left of their world. it was, some can say, in a sort of Jung'ian symbol, a case of the might makes right ... and the rest is gone.

Arts are not different.

It started when I thought that King Crimson's heavy mid-1970s triptych of Larks' Tongues in Aspic, Starless and Bible Black and Red has aged way better than not just their other classic albums, but also most other canonical LPs from that scene...

Started way before that.

Please go read Robert Wyatt's book. It goes back 10 more years, and they are much more important to the eventual work that was done. Those years "were" the inspiration that helped KC and many others stand out. It DID NOT, start with those albums!

I've also noticed a similar thing with the Krautrock movement, which seems to on average have way more intergenerational appeal with people my age than the "Anglo-prog" of its time. Maybe this could be a result of the Teutons thinking a bit further outside the box in terms of music experimentation ...

You don't need to go any further reading or discussing this, than Edgar Froese's words in the special. In one sentence, it's all there.

But there was a VERY well documented idea that the music schools in Germany, INTENTIONALLY, went after anything that did not have a "Western Musical concept" in it, and if it was meditative, fine, if it was weird fine ... but it's results did magnificently because it was not just defined in "music", but also in FILM and THEATER and LITERATURE, and this is the main reason why a lot of people on this board do not understand the music and its development was not "accidental" ... I agree with Dean here ... it was a bit "thought out", but the results were fantastic and many of us love them dearly.

By comparison, few of the bands I have heard that try to "copy" krautrock, suceed, because they are missing the one little detail that is required to make it work ... and that is ... you go for the sound and the feel, not just the notes ... and this is what separates Ax Gernrich from others in Guru Guru or Amon Duul 2 in the early days, and the "trips" in AshRaTempel and Klaus Schulze ... it was about the moment, not the "music", and we are forgetting that vital detail, even if it does not sound right! Sometimes, the "wrong" part, or thing, becomes the right moment, even if it is not "musical".

We, STILL, do not know how to credit and appreciate the amount of work (and rehearsal - if such existed -- which CAN did have!) that it took to achieve what those folks did ... which was "communication" ... instead of just a bunch of SOLO stuff in the jazz style.

I Would be interesting to hear some observations from people who have been around a bit longer for the rise of some of those movements. (I'm something of a novice within electronic music and noise rock, as much as I've come to love both in the last 3 years)

Electronic, has a more "classical" source, and even the theremin and some of the others had a few experimental folks in the arena of classical music, although it's use in rock, for my tastes, kinda start and end with Tangerine Dream and Vangelis, both of which are modern classical music. Klaus Schulze also fits here, with a different type of orchestra, if we can say that about what he does.

In some ways, this "classical music" fits the krautrock thing, but its roots are very different from the rock and jazz development of the other styles. There was electronic music in the 1950's and the theremin was already in use, even in MOVIES, mostly sci-fi stuff. This later was extended to be "repetitious", which you could see in Terry Riley and then CAN, and eventually NEU and KRAFTWERK as the best examples. But this "repetitious" style, was not just that, even though some folks thought it was. I never thought, for example, that Klaus Schulze is "repetitious" ... because the constant changes is an experience all on its own.

Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2015 at 13:20

My point is that with the people I know my own age, the Velvet Underground aren't just cult artists but in fact more important than the Beatles.
Confused surely they cannot be anything BUT cult artists by definition...
What?
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2015 at 14:45
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

It will not be considered "cult", because it is New York ... and like London, it is so big that the sales alone, make it not be "cult". I've mentioned this before. But, to me, even, they did not become "bigger" until Lou Reed made it on his own! I was into Lou Reed a lot more than I was into VU, that I thought was over-rated, 40th floor splashed litter, but because it got more attention in total sales than many others, it will be, by the numbers, considered important.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2015 at 14:58
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

It will not be considered "cult", because it is New York ... and like London, it is so big that the sales alone, make it not be "cult". I've mentioned this before. But, to me, even, they did not become "bigger" until Lou Reed made it on his own! I was into Lou Reed a lot more than I was into VU, that I thought was over-rated, 40th floor splashed litter, but because it got more attention in total sales than many others, it will be, by the numbers, considered important.

Cult is not measured in sales but in hipster-value
What?
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2015 at 15:43
Originally posted by emigre80 emigre80 wrote:

Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

Emigre80 - Freddie Mercury is not lauded so much for songs like Radio GaGa, which most admit is ridiculous (I still like it but I don't take it seriously) but for songs like Bohemian Rhapsody.

I do know that, my issue was that after he died it seemed as if everyone forgot the pop hits and the silly videos, and proclaimed everything he ever touched was genius. I just remember it differently.

I guess I am thinking more in terms of now than when he passed.  Mainstream media and the people who think along similar lines tend to go for the low hanging fruit, so to speak, and cling onto the most obvious.  But then it is only the glamour they see.  They saw F.M. in terms of his pop star shimmer and not for the brilliance of his musical capabilities.  And he traded one for the other.  It is up to those of us who are more discriminating to keep our heads clear and remind people what is really of value, that is, the qualities of music that stand the test of time rather than what was merely a big hit at a particular moment in time.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
The Sloth View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2015 at 15:49
The Velvet Underground better than The Beatles? You know how something so aggressively stupid can be said and no one will bat an eye? Because people are so distracted with themselves these days that no one cares to argue for the truth. Effort is passe. The reason why first generation prog resonates through time is it sounds effortless. It has jazz in it, and jazz moves ideas in a way that metal never will.
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2015 at 15:58
^ What was so metal about VU?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2015 at 18:10
Originally posted by The Sloth The Sloth wrote:

The Velvet Underground better than The Beatles? You know how something so aggressively stupid can be said and no one will bat an eye? Because people are so distracted with themselves these days that no one cares to argue for the truth. Effort is passe. The reason why first generation prog resonates through time is it sounds effortless. It has jazz in it, and jazz moves ideas in a way that metal never will.
That would be because NO ONE SAID THAT. LOL
What?
ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2015 at 09:40

Something I've pondered a bit, half as a result of having studied art history at university and as a result thinking about music in a very "cultural historian" manner, is which progressive rock/metal endures in historical influence and what fades.

The world is much flatter today than it was in the 60s and 70s, and that probably has to factor into this discussion at least somewhat.  Along those lines, progressive and other non-pop music didn't seem to travel as quickly or broadly back then as they do today.  Also, it's important to remember that even at their peak symphonic rock and related forms like progressive folk, Zeuhl, electronica and Canterbury didn't proliferate as broadly here in the Americas as it did in Britain and Europe.  Bands like Yes, Genesis, Jethro Tull, ELP, King Crimson, Can, Magma, etc. were never all that popular in the U.S., Canada and South America back in the 70s as they were on the other side of pond.  Kansas and Styx sold far more records here in the 70s than all those mentioned above combined, and even those bands weren't as influential on subsequent music trends; rather punk, New Wave, grunge and soft rock were more dominant in the late 70s and into the 80s and were in many ways reactions to the perceived pomposity of prog rock as opposed to being influenced by them.

Art Rock and Glam were probably the best examples of popular music forms influenced by symphonic and other progressive rock bands.  Here in PA we used to recognize Art Rock as a genre, but that has morphed into Eclectic and Crossover, two contrived genre labels that really didn't exist in the 70s.

Granted this is a small sampling, but my kids are all musicians and they all give respectful nods to Yes, Genesis, Kansas, King Crimson and the like, but today they seem to be a lot more influenced by progressive dance forms like House, rap, dub-step and hip hop, as well as post-rock bands that distort and morph classical & rock forms using blends of orchestral, rock and digital instrumentation.  Not sure what that means from a historical perspective, but it is interesting they recognize the value in transforming and progressing those popular forms into something new, rather than just trying to imitate them.  In that way it seems like the spirit of progressive music lives on, which is sort of the point I guess.

"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2015 at 09:55

Effort is passe. The reason why first generation prog resonates through time is it sounds effortless. It has jazz in it, and jazz moves ideas in a way that metal never will.

Effort is not "passe", and neither is "ability", and "luck" and any other toromerde that you assign to it!

Jazz or not, is not the reason why so much of that music came about, specially when so much of it was inspired by classical music that for at least 2000 years, that we have some history of, had absolutely no jazz in it at all. We might even try to find some jazz in Mozart, but I think it will be hard to write about it.

Jazz, like rock, and many other music details was a side of music that probably ALWAYS was there but did not become "known" until the age of the MEDIA, and people could hear things that others had never heard before, without the limitations and editorials having to do with classical music and its history.

Many of these, might have their links to "popular" music, a lot of which was not considered worth while music for many centuries and was laughed at in many courts!

You are (also) not giving credit to the person behind the instrument, that can feel something automatically as opposed to an actor trying to make you believe there is a feeling in something they do. One comes off "effort-less" and the other has "effort" because it takes a large dose of your body energy to accumulate something like that for a long period of time, in theater and film, or music!

Edited by moshkito - March 07 2015 at 10:35
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2015 at 10:20
I appreciate moshkito's reply, but as usual it's some heady stuff and I need to digest it first before replying... which I won't have time for until next week.
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2015 at 10:52
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Effort is passe. The reason why first generation prog resonates through time is it sounds effortless. It has jazz in it, and jazz moves ideas in a way that metal never will.

Jazz or not, is not the reason why so much of that music came about, specially when so much of it was inspired by classical music that for at least 2000 years, that we have some history of, had absolutely no jazz in it at all. We might even try to find some jazz in Mozart, but I think it will be hard to write about it.

I agree with you on this point, interesting by the way, but even reading the recent interesting PA Forum topics I keep bearing in mind that any sort of new fresh composition always reflects at some extent the music that the composer listened to (not simply heard) during his whole life, even since back when he was a child. This is the reason imo why the musicians argue that it is turning out even more difficult to make original music, as a concern of so many of them nowadays. Personally I've found that the cutting edge original modern music do have something of great genius indeed, but the spirit or soul of it is what most touches me in any music, be it accessible or not, complex or not. A brief heartfelt melody can touch me sometimes more than a quite elaborated composition.

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2015 at 10:03
Originally posted by Rick Robson Rick Robson wrote:

I agree with you on this point, interesting by the way, but even reading the recent interesting PA Forum topics I keep bearing in mind that any sort of new fresh composition always reflects at some extent the music that the composer listened to (not simply heard) during his whole life, even since back when he was a child. This is the reason imo why the musicians argue that it is turning out even more difficult to make original music, as a concern of so many of them nowadays. Personally I've found that the cutting edge original modern music do have something of great genius indeed, but the spirit or soul of it is what most touches me in any music, be it accessible or not, complex or not. A brief heartfelt melody can touch me sometimes more than a quite elaborated composition.

Rick ... you need to go read the first 150 pages of Robert Wyatt's book. You would "refine" how you said this real quick.

Sometimes, you do not know there was something "difficult" in it, until after you hear it ... and that outstanding example with Syd Barrett that Robert gives us, is a perfect example. We can go back and think, well, Syd had already lost it anyway ... but, weird ... funny ... the musicians did not think so, but did not realize that Syd did not think in terms of "meter" at all! He just played! Robert even said that what was strange is that all these guys that knew music, had no problems playing it until they "asked"!

Go figure!

I think we "think" too much about these things and we need to spend more time with the "inner child" as it were ... just having fun and if it has meter or not is not the issue ... and you find some interesting things there ... try it sometime with your own child! See if you can keep up! You probably will stop and try to teahc the child scales and notes instead of you learning how to have fun regardless. It's a different way of looking at things and experience things!

Edited by moshkito - March 08 2015 at 10:12
www.pedrosena.com
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2015 at 14:19
Each genre of music has a certain feel to it.  Rock 'n' Roll uses the same chords and scales as the Blues, but it sounds very different because of the feel.  Compare the songs by Willie Dixon that Led Zeppelin and Cream performed to the original recordings or even the same songs by other Blues artists.  The songs are clearly the same, but the feel is not.  Some genres invoke the feel more than others.  Prog is among the more intellectualized with its emphases on complex structures, but as a form of Rock it too has a certain feel to it that is unique.  This is one of the characteristics we tend to overlook when we debate on what Prog really is.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2015 at 14:54
Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

This is one of the characteristics we tend to overlook when we debate on what Prog really is.
Ermm do we? How?
What?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>