Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Kim Seviour to leave Touchstone

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote yam yam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kim Seviour to leave Touchstone
    Posted: March 06 2015 at 05:39
Sad news received via facebook today:

"Here follows a short statement from the band:

It is with regret that we announce the departure of Kim Seviour from Touchstone.

Kim has decided to leave due to ongoing medical issues. Here are a few words from her…"I'm sure that this will come as a shock to many people, and for that I'm very sorry. As many of you will know, I've dealt with a health condition, M.E for the last five years of being in Touchstone. The condition and the lifestyle changes that it has resulted in, including a move cross-country, have made it impossible for me to commit to Touchstone in the way that it truly deserves. I need to take time to concentrate on my health and getting myself back to peak condition. Who knows what lies ahead after. I love my boys to bits and we've shared many amazing adventures, which would have been impossible without the support of incredible music lovers, and friends such as yourselves. I wish the guys the very best and know that they will continue to make awesome music, which I fully support all the way. For those who can make it, I would love to see you and share a drink at HRH, which will be my last Touchstone gig. Thank you so much for everything, I love you all. God bless xxx"

All the band fully accept this situation and support her decision and we know that you will join us in wishing Kim all the very best for the future. We will still be in very close contact. It’s been an amazing journey for all of us and we sincerely appreciate all the fantastic support from our fans and friends, given to us over the years.

Kim will be leaving after our performance at Hard Rock Hell on Friday 20th March, so if you want to get a last chance to see this lineup, it’s a trip to North Wales…!!!

As for the future of Touchstone, there are no immediate plans for a new release; the band is currently on indefinite hold and remaining members will pursue other projects.

At some time in the future the Touchstone phoenix may arise again…"

END

Cry
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2015 at 06:35
Oh, this is a sad news as well...Kim is just lovely.

That's two blows to two great female fronted acts....

Thanks for posting the news, David.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2015 at 10:05
Yes, more sad news, but, as the other thread says, Rachel........go for it!

Anyhow, let's hope that Kim can make a recovery from this debilitating condition.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2015 at 10:11
Very sad news, indeed. I feel very bad for Kim. I hope she can recover from this trying illness.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2015 at 12:05
Sad news, hope Kim makes a full recovery soon.
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yam yam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2015 at 21:04
Two final Touchstone concerts with Kim are confirmed for November 20th (London's Boston Music Room) and 21st (Leamington Spa's Assembly). The Leamington gig will also feature Magenta, and both bands will play full sets which will be filmed for a future DVD release: http://prog.teamrock.com/news/2015-05-08/magenta-will-play-final-touchstone-show.

Touchstone guitarist Adam Hodgson says: “It’s really special to be doing this concert with Magenta, as some of our best early shows were with them at The Point in Cardiff and we have such a long history together.

“We’re looking forward to a special all-band jam at the end. I have a feeling there might also be some other party crashers.”

Magenta mainman Rob Reed adds: “We've been looking forward to filming a new DVD with the current lineup and it’s been almost 10 years since our last DVD.

“The Assembly in Leamington is a great venue – it looks and sounds fantastic. Playing with Touchstone will make the evening a treat for fans and members of both bands."

Guests for the London show will be revealed in due course.

Tickets for both nights are available directly from Touchstone’s website: http://www.touchstonemusic.co.uk/

See also the previous announcement from the 22nd April this year on the Teamrock website regarding these two shows: http://www.teamrock.com/news/2015-04-22/touchstone-add-2-final-shows-kim-seviour.
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yam yam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2015 at 10:19
And it gets even better (apart from the fact that we are losing Kim Cry): http://prog.teamrock.com/news/2015-06-04/lonely-robot-to-play-touchstone-farewell-shows.

Yes! - John Mitchell and keyboardist Liam Holmes will be main guests at London’s Boston Music Room on November 20, and they'll join Magenta the following evening at Leamington Spa’s Assembly. They'll be playing an extended set at the London show, so along with material from Lonely Robot's 'Please Come Home' album, there may be a few It Bites and Kino songs getting an airing too.

Kim Seviour appeared on Lonely Robot's recent 'Please Come Home' album, with John Mitchell praising her performance as “absolutely fantastic.”

And don't forget - both nights will be filmed for release on DVD. Smile  Thumbs Up
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yam yam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2015 at 08:19
Another gig added to Kim's farewell performance list: http://prog.teamrock.com/news/2015-06-10/touchstone-added-to-ramblin-man-fair-bill.

The Touchstone outgoing lineup have been added to the Prog stage at the inaugural Ramblin’ Man Fair in Kent next month.

They’ll appear alongside Marillion, Camel, Ian Anderson, Anathema and more at Mote Park, Kent, on July 25-26.

It’s one of their final appearances before going their separate ways for the foreseeable future, after vocalist Kim Seviour announced she was bowing out as a result of illness.

Guitarist Adam Hodgson tells Prog: “We’re absolutely thrilled to have been invited to play at the Ramblin’ Man Fair. Along with our November shows, it’s an immense way to say farewell to Kim.
“Performing on the same bill as some absolute classic and incredible bands is another dream come true. We’re planning a set with some classic Touchstone rockers and a good ol’ singalong at the end. We’ll be joined by a special shredding guest – hopefully not with a broken finger…”

The Ramblin’ Man Fair, sponsored by TeamRock, aims to offer the best festival experience in terms of music, food, drink and environment. Also on the bill are the Scorpions, Dream Theater, Gregg Allman, Seasick Steve, Shooter Jennings, Joanne Shaw Taylor and others.

Prog stage lineup:

Saturday, July 25

Camel
Anathema
Haken
Pendragon
Messenger
Touchstone
Unto Us

Sunday, July 26

Marillion
Ian Anderson
Alcest
Riverside
The Pineapple Thief
Knifeworld
Anna Phoebe

Bloody Hell! - Thats gonna be quite some weekend for anyone who can get down to Kent!! Approve
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yam yam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2016 at 09:56

Touchstone have confirmed Polish musical theatre performer Aggie as their new vocalist, and they’ll release their first tracks with her in the coming months.

The band say: "Touchstone are very happy and proud to announce our new singer, Aggie."

“She’s performed in productions including The Phantom Of The Opera, Broadway Street and The Beautiful Violoncellist. In 2015 she moved to Copenhagen to study at the Complete Vocal Institute.

“She then moved to London in January, following her heart’s calling to become lead singer. Her influences include Muse, Pink Floyd, Radiohead and Dream Theater.”

A double-A single with promo video are under production and they’ll be launched ahead of Touchstone’s fifth album Dangerous Days, due early next year.

The band’s annual Christmas shows return to their schedule this year, at London’s Borderline on December 17 and Bilston’s Robin 2 on December 18, with a third show to be announced on December 16. The performances will mark the new lineup’s debut.

Touchstone add: “Aggie, Moo, Adam, Hen and their management are very excited about this new chapter. We look forward to presenting it to the world and beyond.”

Kim herself is now working on her debut solo album with John Mitchell (It Bites, Arena, Frost* etc, etc, etc.) and is signed to the White Star Records label that John established with Chris Hillman of Magick Eye Records a couple of years ago: http://white-star-records.com/artists/kim_seviour.

A single called 'Fantasise To Realize' (an Astralasia cover) has already been released.

Here's a video explaining their project in more detail:

Smile
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yam yam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2016 at 18:03
The new-look Touchstone lineup featuring vocalist Aggie Figurska and keyboardist Liam Holmes are to launch an EP called 'Lights From The Sky' on November 28th, and it will be the band’s first material since the departure of Kim. Keyboard player Liam Holmes will also make his debut on the four-track EP.

"Bassist Paul Moorghen says: “Getting Aggie and Liam successfully embedded into the band has rejuvenated and reinvigorated the whole vibe around the band.

“The songwriting, the rehearsing, the recording process have a new found energy which has translated directly into the music, which is what this is all about.”

He continues: “Aggie knows exactly how to use her voice as her instrument. She writes thought-provoking lyrics and can pick out vocal melodies that are unexpected but fit perfectly within the music.

“She is very ambitious and has so much energy and a wonderful personality and this definitely comes across in the music. She has immediately gelled with the band and had a huge influence on the direction and sound of the new music, and all while keeping the boys in check.”

Touchstone Lights From The Sky tracklist:

1. Lights From The Sky
2. Fear
3. Tangled Lines
4. Lights From The Sky (Polish lyric version)

Touchstone have a handful of live dates planned in the UK in December:

Dec 16: St Helens The Citadel
Dec 17: London The Borderline
Dec 18: Bilston The Robin 2

Smile
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2016 at 19:24
Ooh, looking forward to hearing this, I rather like this band! I'm a little bummed that the EP is only really three tracks (considering the fourth is a different version of the lead track!), but from the brief little snippets here Aggie sounds pretty close to the style that Kim sang in, plus we get their usual heavy guitars and bombastic symph synths!

I just hope they didn't blow all their money for a future album on the effects in that video, looks like there's a LOT of pyrotechnics going on in there!
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yam yam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2016 at 07:58
New preview video:

Smile
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yam yam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2017 at 19:09
Kim's debut album 'Recovery Is Learning' is now finished - and will be released on July 28th via John Mitchell and Chris Hillman’s White Star Records.

Here's the official video for the track 'Chiasma' from it:

The album was co-written by Kim and John Mitchell.

Thumbs Up

Edit: More than 20 attempts had to be made before this post went through without an 'Access Denied' error. Disapprove
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yam yam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2017 at 09:36
And now it's bye bye Aggie too: http://teamrock.com/news/2017-11-24/touchstone-split-with-singer.

The band's forthcoming Christmas shows will be her last performances with them, and Touchstone will play their final show with Aggie on December 10th at London's 229 venue (with IO Earth, who had a change of singer at almost exactly the same time last year, with Rosanna Lefevre replacing Linda Odinsen as their lead vocalist).

As this was originally a Kim Seviour thread, I can confirm that her solo album - written and recorded in collaboration with John Mitchell - was quite excellent, so here'a another clip from it:

Smile
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2017 at 16:27
A shame that Touchstone continue to struggle to break through. Saw them at High Voltage and thought it was the start of something, but there continues to be some kind of glass ceiling for the likes of the Reasoning, Magenta, Mostly Autumn, Panic Room, Karnataka, IO Earth etc. that just can't move to that higher level other than a loyal prog following (often regional) who rightly appreciate their quality. I've lost count of the female vocalists who leave these types of bands to expand their horizons and sadly just fade away.

Edited by Squonk19 - November 24 2017 at 16:29
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yam yam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2018 at 20:57
Touchstone performed tonight at the Trinity III event at Islington Assembly Hall, London with ex-Karnataka vocalist Hayley Griffiths doing the honours out front (on a temporary basis, for now at least...)along with Ghost Community, Last Flight to Pluto, Jennifer Rothery (who replaced Tin Spirits due to illness), Knifeworld and the Steve Rothery Band. The event was organised in aid of Cancer Research UK/Teenage Cancer Trust/Macmillan Cancer Support.

Karnataka themselves imploded for a second time back in early December 2017, with Hayley herself apparently being the last to know, and only finding out about the split via social media. Gonzalo Carrera, the band's keyboard player on 'The Gathering Light' album, rejoined the band in February this year, and they duo are currently working on new Karnataka material together, but no other line up announcements have been made as yet.
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2018 at 01:37
Originally posted by yam yam yam yam wrote:

As this was originally a Kim Seviour thread, I can confirm that her solo album - written and recorded in collaboration with John Mitchell - was quite excellent,

I agree....a strong album which I've enjoyed playing over the last few months. Fans of John Mitchell (including myself) would like it too - as his trademark instrumentation is all over it.
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
 Post Reply Post Reply