Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPunk: A Logical Extension of Prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Punk: A Logical Extension of Prog?
    Posted: March 06 2015 at 06:16
Forget about whether it "killed prog", which it didn't, it did digress or at least regress rock to a point of astounding if roughly-cut clarity.   There are a few rare instances of prog/art rockers dabbling in and eventually turning to punk, such as the Goldring twins (Gnidrolog) going on to become the Pork Dukes, and styles of progressive rock that clearly draw from punk, like mathrock.   But was Punk rock a continuation of the development of rock as a from of music that apparently has few boundaries other than that it retain some semblance of a rock format?   Or was it just a crude rebellion that struck a chord in a lot of people?  

Edited by Atavachron - March 06 2015 at 22:30
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2015 at 06:33
I opt for the latter. Punk was a rebellion against rock music that had become too complex for some to handle.
Not a continuation of the development of rock; that sounds to my ears like civilization developing to become barbarism. Punk might be called rock in opposition properly.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2015 at 06:34
Punk - no. Post-punk - certainly.
What?
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2015 at 06:57
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Forget about whether it "killed prog", which it didn't, it did digress or at least regress rock to a point of astounding if roughly-cut clarity.   There are a few rare instances of prog/art rockers dabbling in and eventually turning to punk, such as the Goldring twins (Gnidrolog) going on to become the Pork Dukes, and styles of progressive rock that clearly draw from punk, like mathrock.   But was Punk rock a continuation of the development of rock as a from of music that apparently has few boundaries other than that it retain some semblance of a rock format?   Or was it just a crude rebellion that struck a chord in a lot of people?  

Punk in general was the last big movement of youth.
As a sub-genre of rock music, it was anti-prog more than anything else.
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2015 at 07:37
It was not a continuation, in my opinion, it was a rebellion against not only the 70s music but the attitude and lifestyle as well. 
It was anti everything that came before. Their style (or anti style) of clothes, hair-dos and life style reflected their rebellion against everything. There was even punk food.
Their music was broken down to basic power chords played loud and obnoxiously. Their vocals, and overall stage performances were intentionally chaotic.
Their overall attitude was that they didn't plan on, or even want to, live beyond their youth.

Edited by TeleStrat - March 06 2015 at 07:39
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2015 at 07:43
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

Punk in general was the last big movement of youth.
As a sub-genre of rock music, it was anti-prog more than anything else.
LOL Punk was not a big youth movement. LOL

There is no denying that it had far-reaching affect on the music scene but it was a relatively small genre of music followed by a relatively small number of people over a very brief period of time. 

Those most affected by it were the music journalists whose written "history" of this time many people today get their perceptions from. The music-makers followed on from that, they were not going to create and promote music that these journalists would not write about, but these music-makers (and by that, the music industry) did not start producing Punk Rock as a result of that.

By a process that evolutionary biologists call punctuated equilibrium the advent of the Punk ethos within the music scene created a step-change that found a new stable equilibrium state that bore no relation to the trigger that Punk instigated. This stable state was what we called at the time New Wave and encompassed a wide gamut of music subgenres that were more readily adopted by a larger proportion of youth than Punk had managed to reach, many of these emergent subgenres were themselves the antithesis of Punk. Even bands that had been closely associated with the Punk movement of 1976 were quick to create post-punk new-wave music that had no direct relationship with Punk Rock. It is this post-punk new-wave ethos that many pre-punk musicians adopted, if not wholly musically, at least in style, image and attitude - if only as a result of getting their hair cut short, wearing narrow trousers and thin ties. While it was amusing to see Peter Gabriel perform a Punk version of White Shade Of Pale on stage, the stripped-back music he recorded on his albums owed more to applying New Wave attitudes to his Progressive music background than any slim-pickings he could glean from Punk Rock. 

Edited by Dean - March 06 2015 at 07:43
What?
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2015 at 08:24
Originally posted by TeleStrat TeleStrat wrote:

It was not a continuation, in my opinion, it was a rebellion against not only the 70s music but the attitude and lifestyle as well. 
It was anti everything that came before. Their style (or anti style) of clothes, hair-dos and life style reflected their rebellion against everything. There was even punk food.
Their music was broken down to basic power chords played loud and obnoxiously. Their vocals, and overall stage performances were intentionally chaotic.
Their overall attitude was that they didn't plan on, or even want to, live beyond their youth.

And yet within less than a year corporations and people out for money figured out how to market to them and even brought in crappy musicians just so they could fit the aesthetic and make money.

What I'm saying is that punk is definitely not punk. Rock in Opposition was the last punk rock imo.

Edited by Smurph - March 06 2015 at 08:25
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2015 at 08:27
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Punk - no. Post-punk - certainly.
This. And Wire in particular.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2015 at 08:29
Thumbs Up
What?
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2015 at 08:32
I believe the so-called hippy movement circa 1967 was at the source a genuine manifestation of a firm disavowal of the types of obsolete values bequeathed to a post WW2 generation. History teaches us that even an unimpeachable past will be rejected as false, hollow and reactionary to any subsequent generation. (This might be deemed churlish, but is healthy and testimony to a questioning, irreverent and intelligent demographic who refuse to recycle the mistakes of history - albeit this rebellion is self evidently cyclic in nature) Such a cultural groundswell is rare in our republicanised and commodified world and seems to take a planet ravaging global conflict to bring about alas.... We should of course cherish such a response as befitting a faint vestige of consumer sovereignty whenever such rears it's plebeian head. I actually agree with Dean here i.e. Post Punk could be considered a logical extension consequence of Prog i.e. most adventurous and forward thinking musicians circa 1980 would have been intrigued/inspired by the musical freedom afforded by Prog but appalled at it's eventual descent into a bloated, complacent and self indulgent apology for 'unswerving integrity' that robbed the masses of a credible voice to articulate their dissatisfaction with a cultural status quo that would have deemed Status Quo as 'prole art threat edgy'
However, even by the routinely Olympian level standards of crass revisionist drivel that Dean normally churns out, the notion that the cart (punk journalists i.e. Sounds) were driving the horse (musicians circa 1976 onwards) smacks of someone crow-barring the world's most inane yet tempting pun into an argument (Punk - tuated Equilibrium geddit?)

Edited by ExittheLemming - March 06 2015 at 08:52
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2015 at 08:56
Ermm 
What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2015 at 09:05

Ermm 

Both of us can articulate our ideas without recourse to graphics that would indicate otherwise erm....

I've just agreed with you re the Post Punk comment but the toys are out the cot otherwise?
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2015 at 09:18
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

I believe the so-called hippy movement circa 1967 was at the source a genuine manifestation of a firm disavowal of the types of obsolete values bequeathed to a post WW2 generation. History teaches us that even an unimpeachable past will be rejected as false, hollow and reactionary to any subsequent generation. (This might be deemed churlish, but is healthy and testimony to a questioning, irreverent and intelligent demographic who refuse to recycle the mistakes of history - albeit this rebellion is self evidently cyclic in nature) Such a cultural groundswell is rare in our republicanised and commodified world and seems to take a planet ravaging global conflict to bring about alas.... We should of course cherish such a response as befitting a faint vestige of consumer sovereignty whenever such rears it's plebeian head. I actually agree with Dean here i.e. Post Punk could be considered a logical extension consequence of Prog i.e. most adventurous and forward thinking musicians circa 1980 would have been intrigued/inspired by the musical freedom afforded by Prog but appalled at it's eventual descent into a bloated, complacent and self indulgent apology for 'unswerving integrity' that robbed the masses of a credible voice to articulate their dissatisfaction with a cultural status quo that would have deemed Status Quo as 'prole art threat edgy'
However, even by the routinely Olympian level standards of crass revisionist drivel that Dean normally churns out, the notion that the cart (punk journalists i.e. Sounds) were driving the horse (musicians circa 1976 onwards) smacks of someone crow-barring the world's most inane yet tempting pun into an argument (Punk - tuated Equilibrium geddit?)
I going to go with the old theory that youth needs to rebel, and that great support from a significant part of the mass population fuels such rebellion. So, the WW2 'baby boomer' rebellion of the  sixties seems to fall in line with this theory.
The Punk explosion seemed to form for different reasons on either side oft the Atlantic. In NYC, the punk craze seemed to be a NYC reaction to the past Greenwich Village folk scene and the ensuing disco craze.

I think that the punk scene in the U. K. was fueled more by economic and social issues that existed in U. K. at that time, and was more of a socio-cultural reactionary statement, than just a change in music trends, as was the case in the U.S.

Do you feel my view has any merit?

Edited by SteveG - March 06 2015 at 09:19
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2015 at 09:25
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

I going to go with the old theory that youth needs to rebel, and that great support from a significant part of the mass population fuels such rebellion. So, the WW2 'baby boomer' rebellion of the  sixties seems to fall in line with this theory.
The Punk explosion seemed to form for different reasons on either side oft the Atlantic. In NYC, the punk craze seemed to be a NYC reaction to the past Greenwich Village folk scene and the ensuing disco craze.

I think that the punk scene in the U. K. was fueled more by economic and social issues that existed in U. K. at that time, and was more of a socio-cultural reactionary statement than just a change in music trends, as in the U.S.

Do you feel my view has any merit?

Any articulated view has merit c/f a lazy hippy c.u.n.t.'s complacent pejorative graphic. Yes, the UK Punk phenomenon (notwithstanding its McLaren engineered caesarian birth was a political phenomenon c/f the bohemian/aesthetic ethos of the US version as evidenced by Patti Smith, Richard Hell, Television et al)
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2015 at 09:29

Ermm 

Both of us can articulate our ideas without recourse to graphics that would indicate otherwise erm....

I've just agreed with you re the Post Punk comment but the toys are out the cot otherwise?
I'm just a little puzzled by the mildly vitriolic flavour of the words you chose "...the routinely Olympian level standards of crass revisionist drivel that Dean normally churns out..." would perhaps raise an eyebrow from me in response if spoken to me in a pub after a few brews, but on an impersonal internet forum an "erm" will suffice.

As to putting the cart before the horse I would ask you where you gained your knowledge of the music scene at the time if it were not solely from the music press? As a regular reader of both the NME and Sounds from the early 70s through to the late 80s (less so the Melody Maker and Rolling Stone), I was suckered in by the opinions that the journalists would seem fit to write in those publications, until I realised how quick they were to turn on any band or artist who had the temerity to be "popular"... the time-honoured backlash that they heaped upon the Prog artists of the 70s was soon levelled at the 80s new-wave artists who failed to pander to them. If it it is revisionist to hold up these music journalists for scrutiny, and to take them to account for the less-than-impartial attitude they had to various bands and genres of music then so be it.

Edited by Dean - March 06 2015 at 09:29
What?
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2015 at 09:34
^This is another tricky part of the puzzle, the way the music media jumped on the punk band wagon without thinking for a single second. But it's secondary for the reason for punk's origins, is it not?

Edited by SteveG - March 06 2015 at 09:38
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2015 at 09:41
The entire "punk vs. prog" rivalry is something that I in real life have never ever heard anyone under the age of 40 remark on or even show any familiarity with. The few people I discuss music with on a regular basis with in real life actually come from the crust/grind/hardcore punk milieu here in Denmark, and because of stuff like Botch or Dillinger Escape Plan most of those types are also into more technically involved and ambitious music. That's even before you consider that in Denmark and Sweden the people involved in the death metal and grindcore (a particularly extreme punk subgenre) undergrounds are at the grassroots level mostly the same individuals, so they're neither turned off by fantastic subject matter.

For an example, check out this band I'm friends with in real life, the hilariously named Piss Vortex who are very strongly inspired by technical prog metal in the Gorguts and Voivod vein only with their innovations adapted to a grind/hardcore context instead.

Edited by Toaster Mantis - March 06 2015 at 09:55
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2015 at 09:46
^ I wish I could say I had the same experience! I actually had friends that jumped from Prog straight onto the punk bandwagon, without blinking an eye. The first inkling that I  had of how superficial some people can be in regard to trends in art.

Btw, these phonies are no longer my friends. LOL
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2015 at 09:52
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

^This is another tricky part of the puzzle, the way the music media jumped on the punk band wagon without thinking for a single second. But it's secondary for the reason for punk's origins, is it not?
Yes, but I have not spoken of Punk's origins, that to me is immaterial. This topic is related to what came after since Punk per se was not a logical extension of Prog in they way that post-punk new-wave was. Even what little Punk remained became detached from its disaffected and rebellious blue-collar beginnings.

Edited by Dean - March 06 2015 at 09:53
What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2015 at 09:56

Ermm 

I'm just a little puzzled by the mildly vitriolic flavour of the words you chose "...the routinely Olympian level standards of crass revisionist drivel that Dean normally churns out..." would perhaps raise an eyebrow from me in response if spoken to me in a pub after a few brews, but on an impersonal internet forum an "erm" will suffice.

As to putting the cart before the horse I would ask you where you gained your knowledge of the music scene at the time if it were not solely from the music press? As a regular reader of both the NME and Sounds from the early 70s through to the late 80s (less so the Melody Maker and Rolling Stone), I was suckered in by the opinions that the journalists would seem fit to write in those publications, until I realised how quick they were to turn on any band or artist who had the temerity to be "popular"... the time-honoured backlash that they heaped upon the Prog artists of the 70s was soon levelled at the 80s new-wave artists who failed to pander to them. If it it is revisionist to hold up these music journalists for scrutiny, and to take them to account for the less-than-impartial attitude they had to various bands and genres of music then so be it.

Why do you defend the natural inclination of any subsequent demographic to reject the values of the previous regime as evidenced by music journalism? Not all of us are 'suckered in' by someone who is paid to pronounce that popularity = death of credibility. If you were a regular reader of both NME and Sounds circa early 70's to late 80's (that's 20 years stubborn refusal to bow to peer group pressure, way to go boyo) is this somewhow indicative that cherry picking to conclude that music you profess to loathe is popular therefore it sucks?. How exactly do bands pander to journalists to become more popular? Are immoral acts inveigled in this scenario?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>