Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPunk: A Logical Extension of Prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 91011
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Komandant Shamal View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2015 at 05:52
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Ermm he means "rural" as the opposite of "urban", "primitive" (peasant) as opposed to "educated" (elite), [which shows how much he understood of the UK music scene and social-culture]. He certainly does not mean it in a literal "pastoral" or bucolic sense.

Both bands were "anti-elitist" and yet in the same time period. That punk hit-song "Zlatni papagaj" ("Golden Parrot") for which the Električni Orgazam became well known (and latter declared by NME as "the most interesting non-British band") says, for example, the worst things about at that time newly open, very nice and modern designed Italian-like cafe named "Zlatni papagaj" where many young people gathered in the evening in downtown Belgrade (mostly journalists and artists were drinking their expresso there but during daytime), though not the punks who were sitting and drugged at the benches in a nearby park. If the same song sung by Riblja Čorba, Gojković would say like, "Riblja Čorba sung it because they were rural".
Simply put, Gojković misses the target when mentioning Riblja Čorba in the same context with the prog-related band Bjelo Dugme which was at the peak of popularity in 1975 / 1976. In fact, i know why he do that. Gojković has some another, political conflict with Bora Đorđević, leader of Riblja Čorba. However, it was during the 90s Balkan wars and latter and that's another story. In early 80s, Električni orgazam and Riblja Čorba actually shared the same audience (i mean the wider audience who were buying LPs by both bands, not strictly their hardcore fan bases.)
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2015 at 02:52

Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

I do believe Punk to be in opposition of technically demanding music - however, it was revolutionary at the time, and more adept musicians took the style to further heights. It HAD to happen, eventually.
I believe that view is too simplistic.

Punk Rock was not a reaction to Progressive Rock (or any other form of technically demanding music). As we have shown, its origins (Protopunk) run a parallel course to the emergence and development of Prog Rock. Since both timelines have their roots firmly embedded in the mid-60s underground and homeground music scenes, there is even evidence of a shared appreciation of some of the psychedelic bands of that time.

Any opposition to more technically demanding music was an after-the-event justification for what already existed, however, it was not a reaction to the technical complexity of the music, but an anti-establishment rally against the status quo. Pink Floyd were not singled out because they were technically demanding ('cos they ain't) but because they represented the Music Industry establishment, just as Pejr's points out in his example of a few years later from Yugoslavia: the"rural" music of Riblja čorba represented the established music scene and not necessarily a more technically demanding style of musicBasically, Prog was an easy target with no inclination to fight back. 

The reason they went for Prog as opposed to Glam, Funk, Hard Rock or Disco or any of the other even more popular forms of music prevalent at that time is because none of those styles of music were being covered by the "serious" music press (they could be found in teen magazines such as Jackie, Blues & Soul or Disco'45 - not quite the readership demographic that was going to appeal to Punk Rock and vice-versa). 

That readership demographic is key (and vital). Just as today with people who like hip-hop or R&B music are never going to buy a Royal Blood album, the people who bought records of the more popular styles of music in the late 70s would never have bought a Prog record and they would never have liked Punk Rock. The adoption of Punk by the "serious" music press should have sounded the death-knell for Prog, and in the "public eye" it certainly did, yet the genre continued regardless.

The divergence of Punk into New Wave and Post Punk created two briefly related audience demographics, yet it didn't take long for those two audiences to become completely separate: the "serious" and the "pop" if you like.

The idea of punk ( if there was one) was to allow anyone to pick up a guitar and start a band without being that good as long as they had one decent idea or a song or something to go on. Captain Sensible stated that before punk you had to be a genius like Emerson, Lake or Palmer to be a in a band, That was an interesting comment because he recognised that ELP had genius which few around here would agree with! Punk was commercially driven and they set out their stall as being more socially relevant (prog bands only wrote about pixies and trolls) and playing music that was more biting less fussy. It wasn't an attack on prog but it was an attempt to change the musical landscape and principles to something that was very anti prog. Bad musicians are better than good musicians was one of their mantras.

My issue with punk is that it as a bit of a lie. Good musicians played in the best punk and new wave bands. Bad musicians disappeared into oblivion pretty quick. The music scene though did eventually rebalance itself partly through a general dischantment with bands whose producers were more famous and the realisation with Live Aid how wonderful it was to see bands like The Who and Queen performing in all their glory. Geldof still managed to ban prog though! 
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2015 at 03:20
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

The idea of punk ( if there was one) was to allow anyone to pick up a guitar and start a band without being that good as long as they had one decent idea or a song or something to go on.

Actually this description fits rock 'n roll more than punk; punk was a touch more sophisticated.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2015 at 03:35
Captain Sensible was part of that lie. Wink
What?
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2015 at 05:22
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

I do believe Punk to be in opposition of technically demanding music - however, it was revolutionary at the time, and more adept musicians took the style to further heights. It HAD to happen, eventually.
I believe that view is too simplistic.

Punk Rock was not a reaction to Progressive Rock (or any other form of technically demanding music). As we have shown, its origins (Protopunk) run a parallel course to the emergence and development of Prog Rock. Since both timelines have their roots firmly embedded in the mid-60s underground and homeground music scenes, there is even evidence of a shared appreciation of some of the psychedelic bands of that time.

Any opposition to more technically demanding music was an after-the-event justification for what already existed, however, it was not a reaction to the technical complexity of the music, but an anti-establishment rally against the status quo. Pink Floyd were not singled out because they were technically demanding ('cos they ain't) but because they represented the Music Industry establishment, just as Pejr's points out in his example of a few years later from Yugoslavia: the"rural" music of Riblja čorba represented the established music scene and not necessarily a more technically demanding style of musicBasically, Prog was an easy target with no inclination to fight back. 

The reason they went for Prog as opposed to Glam, Funk, Hard Rock or Disco or any of the other even more popular forms of music prevalent at that time is because none of those styles of music were being covered by the "serious" music press (they could be found in teen magazines such as Jackie, Blues & Soul or Disco'45 - not quite the readership demographic that was going to appeal to Punk Rock and vice-versa). 

That readership demographic is key (and vital). Just as today with people who like hip-hop or R&B music are never going to buy a Royal Blood album, the people who bought records of the more popular styles of music in the late 70s would never have bought a Prog record and they would never have liked Punk Rock. The adoption of Punk by the "serious" music press should have sounded the death-knell for Prog, and in the "public eye" it certainly did, yet the genre continued regardless.

The divergence of Punk into New Wave and Post Punk created two briefly related audience demographics, yet it didn't take long for those two audiences to become completely separate: the "serious" and the "pop" if you like.

The idea of punk ( if there was one) was to allow anyone to pick up a guitar and start a band without being that good as long as they had one decent idea or a song or something to go on. Captain Sensible stated that before punk you had to be a genius like Emerson, Lake or Palmer to be a in a band, That was an interesting comment because he recognised that ELP had genius which few around here would agree with! Punk was commercially driven and they set out their stall as being more socially relevant (prog bands only wrote about pixies and trolls) and playing music that was more biting less fussy. It wasn't an attack on prog but it was an attempt to change the musical landscape and principles to something that was very anti prog. Bad musicians are better than good musicians was one of their mantras.

My issue with punk is that it as a bit of a lie. Good musicians played in the best punk and new wave bands. Bad musicians disappeared into oblivion pretty quick. The music scene though did eventually rebalance itself partly through a general dischantment with bands whose producers were more famous and the realisation with Live Aid how wonderful it was to see bands like The Who and Queen performing in all their glory. Geldof still managed to ban prog though! 
ClapClapClapClap
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2015 at 06:15

Captain Sensible was part of that lie. Wink

The Captain could indeed be considered something of a closet shredder i.e. he is an astonishingly adept guitarist who can solo like a virtuoso (when music journalists ain't around) To be fair to Mr Burns, he didn't exactly hide this in the Damned - check out his guitar on Smash It Up Parts 1 & 2 (how Prog is that...Shocked)

)

By 1980's the Black Album, Raymond and his cohorts felt sufficiently emboldened to put out their own 'Close to the Edge of Goth Rock' extravaganza in the form of the (frankly spiffy) Curtain Call, a 17 minute tribute to the career longevity afforded by mortuary cosmetics. Of course by this time, Punk was but a distant speck on the event horizon

Edited by ExittheLemming - March 24 2015 at 06:45
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2015 at 06:56
^ He also played all the keyboards. According to Mr Burns, Rat Scabies hated Curtain Call so they recorded it at night while he was asleep, when they heard the dawn chorus they knew it was time to stop recording (hence the bird-song intro).
What?
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2015 at 08:07
^ That's interesting, I wasn't aware of that but erm...who actually plays the drums on it then if Rat was in the land of Nod?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2015 at 08:11
^ good question ... he's also credited as writer so that suggests that Raymondo is a little tongue-in-cheek.
What?
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2015 at 09:21

News to me!  On the Black Album Rat Scabies plays guitar on 'Drinking About My Baby' and is credited so, it would seem likely if someone else played drums on Curtain Call, it would say?
Help me I'm falling!
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2015 at 10:03
Pure speculation of course but since the drum track is often the first part of a recording to be laid-down he did his bit under protest (a stroppy drummer? heaven forfend!) and buggered off to bed.

Quote  Tell me about the song 'Curtain Call'. Paul Gray once told me that it was only worked on in the early hours. Is that true?
[C]Yeah but only because Rat hated it, so we could only work on it when he was in bed. That's why there's the dawn chorus on there it was "Oh no Rats getting up". One Morning I heard the dawn chorus outside the window and said " Listen to that ". So we just stuck the mike out of the window.

Judging by the interview with Burns I lifted that quote from there is no love lost between him and Millar (Scabies) so perhaps anything he says is a tad jaundiced. 
What?
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2015 at 10:41

They have fallen out certainly.  Even if Rat didn't like Curtain Call they still did it live with him on drums - I saw them do it much to my surprise (and delight). 
Help me I'm falling!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 91011