Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSpamming for Reviews?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2015 at 07:39
For me, reviewing has meant forming strong bonds with some musicians - something that has been invaluable for a middle-aged person relocating to another country. Though having my name acknowledged in a CD's liner notes, or links to my reviews posted on band/artist websites is very flattering, it goes well beyond that. Knowing what struggles and dedication are behind each of those CDs, I am glad I have been able to do something to help those people, who are not celebrities or anything of the sort, but ordinary people with families, day jobs and all the other issues we know all too well.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2015 at 07:46
^ well said Clap
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2015 at 07:51
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

^ well said Clap

Did you divulge your relationship with the poster before responding? (that's just a joke from the clearly uninformed 'knuckleheads')Wink
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2015 at 10:41
I get a few requests asking me to review music. Not as many as I used to, but still a few.

Raff is absolutely spot on about the nature of the business. Ours is genuinely one of the very few major outlets where the reviewers actually buy a copy of the music they are writing about. That is what makes this site so special. We are fans, first and foremost.

I do not agree to review all of the requests I get, but I do agree where I have formed a bond with the act, or genuinely feel I will enjoy the music, and provide a useful service in helping such an act gain much needed publicity, and I do not think there is anything wrong with that. I do, though, always make it very clear to readers that I am reviewing a promotional copy given to me, because at least that way, the reader can be satisfied that I am honest in my endeavours. I hope so, anyway!

There is a fine line sometimes between a sort of spamming load of requests sent out for a blanket coverage of reviews, and a band genuinely thinking the reviewer will like what he or she hears and contacting them accordingly, and the longer you are on the site, the better you get at identifying such requests. As with Thomas, I would say that any tech extreme metal or far out fusion act would, really, be wasting mine and their time by contacting me. I have got far better in recent years in saying, if I would not buy it to try myself, then I will not get a freebie simply to review and give publicity. Such is not my role here.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2015 at 11:32
I get lots of these requests and I must say I ignore them, especially the ones who are more aggressive and send me the same request over and over.  I understand why they do, but I have no intention of accepting freebies because I know it means they in turn expect a positive review in a timely manner.  Can't do it. 

However, the whole reason I continue with any of this is that I enjoy giving that exposure to the most obscure of artists.  There are a few artists on this site for whom my review was the only one....and may ever be. LOL
But I like the process to happen naturally.  I like to stumble across something, and write about it if I feel moved by it.  My days of trying to cover all the bases of a scene/genre are over. 

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2015 at 13:19
^ oh the problems of the good reviewers. LOL

The trick is to be a sh*tty reviewer.. and see how few review requests you get Thumbs Up
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2015 at 13:23
LOL

Nonsense though, Mick.  You've written some pretty awesome reviews as I recall.  Lots of passion and wit injected in there....kinda like Iain's reviews....I really enjoy reading both of yours

Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2015 at 22:39
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Does it undermine or compromise our objectivity?
   -  No, unfortunately it largely doesn't (for me at least)--  I say 'unfortunately' because honesty is a good way to never hear from the artist again.   But that's fine, they learn a lesson and you retain some integrity.

Should we just treat it as a compliment to PA's credibility in the Prog World and acknowledge that marketing and entrepreneurial zeal = internet hosted enthusiasm?
   - Yes, we should.

If you were an aspiring artist or record company, why would you target an amateur music appreciation site c/f a professional publication to garner reviews?
   Any publicity is good publicity, especially from some dog&pony show like this  Tongue .

Edited by Atavachron - March 07 2015 at 22:43
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2015 at 07:56
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

LOL

Nonsense though, Mick.  You've written some pretty awesome reviews as I recall.  Lots of passion and wit injected in there....kinda like Iain's reviews....I really enjoy reading both of yours

Embarrassed  you are too kind Jim.  I always cringe when I read them.  The harshest critics and hardest to please... are always ourselves. I have a whole hell of a lot of respect for you and others that do it.. and do it well.  It is a talent.  Just one I don't feel I have unfortunately. Oh well... I suppose my talents lie elsewhere..LOL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12