Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Internal news
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New site feature: social review comments

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Co-founder, Admin & Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M@X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New site feature: social review comments
    Posted: March 07 2015 at 09:38
Hi !

I've implemented a review commenting section in each unique review page so you can interact with the reviewer publicly and directly bellow the reviews.

You can post using your Facebook credentials.

Let me know what do you think about this, as a reviewer or as a commenter.

Prog On !

Wink

Prog On !
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2015 at 09:58
Any notification setting that will send you an email if someone posts on your review?

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2015 at 10:21
Not a fan of this at all.  My opinion is that people should spend their time writing their own reviews about the music rather than being able to attach "comments" that get billing right below the hard work of others.  It's like they get the last word on a review someone else took the time to submit, and I think that sucks if they get to inject criticism on someone's work.  If you don't like a review, write your own review. 

Reviewers should have the ability "turn off" this feature on their reviews, if they wish.  To decide whether or not to allow "comments".  JMO. 

Edited by Finnforest - March 07 2015 at 10:22

M@X View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M@X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2015 at 10:34
Ok, thanks for sharing. I will consider all the replies to make up my mind about this Thumbs Up
Prog On !
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2015 at 10:45
We already have a thread for people to give feedback on reviews that they like, and we also have a PM system, and I, for one, love getting PM's telling me how much s review was enjoyed. Makes my day, actually.

Therefore, I cannot really see what this feature adds to the site. It also, of course, could be used by idiots to merely dump negative comments for the sake of it, and, therefor, really ruin what is a lot of work which goes in to writing a serious review.

I think this is a very long winded way of saying I agree with Jim.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2015 at 10:49
I cannot but wholeheartedly agree with Jim and Steve. As Facebook is a breeding ground for trolls of every kind, I am afraid this new feature might soon turn into a free-for-all, and turn quite a few people off reviewing. Blogs can also attract nasty comments, but at least the owner is able to delete anything offensive.
SouthSideoftheSky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthSideoftheSky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2015 at 10:54
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Not a fan of this at all.  My opinion is that people should spend their time writing their own reviews about the music rather than being able to attach "comments" that get billing right below the hard work of others.  It's like they get the last word on a review someone else took the time to submit, and I think that sucks if they get to inject criticism on someone's work.  If you don't like a review, write your own review. 

Reviewers should have the ability "turn off" this feature on their reviews, if they wish.  To decide whether or not to allow "comments".  JMO. 

My thoughts exactly.

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2015 at 11:07
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

We already have a thread for people to give feedback on reviews that they like, and we also have a PM system, and I, for one, love getting PM's telling me how much s review was enjoyed. Makes my day, actually.

Therefore, I cannot really see what this feature adds to the site. It also, of course, could be used by idiots to merely dump negative comments for the sake of it, and, therefor, really ruin what is a lot of work which goes in to writing a serious review.

I think this is a very long winded way of saying I agree with Jim.

I'll balance it with the short winded.

Bad idea man.  Check to see what happened to ESPN when they went to Facebook comments.  Most sane, and umm.. mature people now stay away. Kiddies and trolls man. 

Lots of potential problems and ZERO addition to the site.  We have a forum to discuss reviews, and threads to spotlight positive AND negative reviews.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
M@X View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M@X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2015 at 12:13
I understand... on MetalMusicArchives.com and JazzMusicArchives.com it's quite controllable (but it does not use the Facebook login though, it use the internal login forum login)

Would this work better than open Facebook login ?
Prog On !
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2015 at 13:08
you are asking if your reviewers would like to be castrated or simply eat a .45 slug. One is messy.. the other quick and clean.

the result is the same.  You discourage reviewers who invest a helluva lot of time.. sh*t man.. they invest theirselves in the reviews. The least the site could do is have the courtesy to let them have their say and not have to defend their reviews.

You are no interet babe M@X... who the hell is going to use this feature.. those pissed off by reviews that either trash or don't show an album the proper love. 

to repeat .. what is the benefit to this?  Other than one person.. I've read of no interest in this idea.. and damn lot of opposition to it.  You have the mechanisms already in place to praise (not to mention PROMOTE) good reviewers.. and the mechanism to take bad reviews. Reviews not judged to be of the quality the site would like to see.. removed from the site. 

my happy two cents as alwasys!!

Edited by micky - March 07 2015 at 13:09
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
M@X View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M@X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2015 at 15:02
I understand.

I was hoping that reviewers would get positive comments to encourage them and congratulate them.

I will re-think my strategy and get back to you, and remove the new system

Tx for sharing

Prog On !
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2015 at 15:14
Max, is there no way for individual reviewers to have a button to turn the feature "on/off"?   That would allow those reviewers who like the idea to have it, and those who don't can shut it off. 

Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horizons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2015 at 15:24
I can finally tell everyone who gives Hand.Cannot.Erase 5 stars that they are wrong.

Excellent...
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
M@X View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M@X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2015 at 15:44
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Max, is there no way for individual reviewers to have a button to turn the feature "on/off"?   That would allow those reviewers who like the idea to have it, and those who don't can shut it off. 

Yes !!!!!

This might work Wink

This would be a more "progressive" approach to this new feature ;-)

How do I handle the 200,000 reviews already on the site ?  turned-off by default ? 
Prog On !
M@X View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M@X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2015 at 15:46
Prog On !
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horizons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2015 at 15:49
Is the function on by review or by user? If it is by user wouldn't having the function on/off affect prior posted reviews?

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2015 at 15:52
Originally posted by M@X M@X wrote:

Check the kind of comments on MMA

Ooofta....yeah, this confirms my belief that it's not a good feature for a review site.  All of that clutter just detracts from the reviewers efforts....the review becomes overtaken really. 

No offense intended Max, but I don't think we need this at PA.  We have an active forum for people who want to discuss every aspect of music and reviews.

M@X View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M@X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2015 at 15:52
BY USER, it would work for the current and past reviews, indeed.
Prog On !
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horizons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2015 at 15:58
Then yes, set the feature for users to be off. Make the feature public, and it'll catch on. For those unaware, it won't affect them - for those that review enough and care enough or actually visit the forum will learn of the new feature and then be able to make the decision. 

Now to Jim.
I disagree about the active forum. I've brought this thought of mine to a thread before, but I just see the majority of the users here remain stagnant. Some of the reviews we see on the front page are by users that haven't posted here. Even the thread that shows appreciation towards reviews here is posted in by the same small group, people just don't post on the forums or know about/ or how to find the thread. Sure, there is a rogue post there every so often but I think by having a social aspect of PA that isn't connected to having a forum presence could be beneficial. 

I think that there can be ways to make sure trolling or strong harassment isn't a part of this socializing. 

Edited by Horizons - March 07 2015 at 16:00
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2015 at 16:15
My concerns aren't so much about trolling as just the cheapening of the review section to the clutter shown in Max example.  It adds nothing of value.  It only detracts from the reviewers presentation and work.  It's the effect you get at news sites, where people joke that they pretty much skim the news story to get to the comments. 

My opinion is that our reviews are something kinda special and should be spared the social media clutter effect.  Don't we have enough outlets out there for that kind of thing? 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>