FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFritz and Van der Linden

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fritz and Van der Linden
    Posted: March 07 2015 at 11:52
Just wondering about these two keyboardists. Both were involved in well known Prog or prog'ish bands. Jurgen Fritz with Triumvirat and Rick Van der Linden with Ekseption. Now Triumvirat is pretty well regarded as a prog band , albeit an ELP clone of sorts and Ekseption, listed here as Eclectic, was more of a schmaltzy classical rendition band. What I find strange is neither keyboardist is listed in PA. I would argue that Fritz deserves inclusion but I'm not so sure about Van der Linden. I suppose both could fit into the all inclusive 'Prog Related' category, but does anyone know why these two have been left out?

I happen to come across a Van der Linden LP called GX1 recently and thought it might be interesting given works by Keith Emerson, Stevie Wonder and even John Paul Jones on the instrument are pleasant, but Van der Linden's exploration just comes off as pop Pablum. How did he miss the boat on growing more into the prog scene?

Discuss.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2015 at 12:00
I take it you haven't chanced across Rick van der Linden's other band.

Rick van der Linden was also in Trace, a keyboards-bass-drums trio that added additional players for its third album. The first two albums, Trace and Birds, are primo '70s instrumental keyboards-based prog.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2015 at 12:05
Thanks, I meant to add that as Trace clearly fits the Symphonic Prog label. And more to the point, his solo stuff came after Trace. So what's with that? Did he really think poop, I mean pop was a better option?
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2015 at 12:19
I don't know, but this is a great quality live clip of Trace performing music from Birds, when Ian Mosley was in the band.

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2015 at 12:22
Here's what Rick van der Linden did after Trace:

Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2015 at 12:36
I appreciate pretty much your point, and both very interesting prog references indeed, and I've recently read about Ekseption in the forum, very interested in checking them out too.

I'd like to add that Rick Van Der Linden also released an album called "Old Friends, New Friends" in 1985, which at least by its songs' names features a strong classical influence, as it happened to be in his former band Trace as well. But I'm curious to know about his coming off as pop Pablum as you pointed out.

Yeah Triumvirat had gotten much inspiration from ELP, but personally I'm far from considering them an ELP clone, from my very own listening experiences Triumvirat as a band developed pretty much their own characteristic music, which at times featured even a more melodic root, though not as energetic and dynamic as ELP's but often spiritual at the same breath. 
Triumvirat is one of my favourite bands, and I am an inveterate fan of ELP, but I wouldn't like this issue turning out to be an off topic discussion at all.

Edited by Rick Robson - March 07 2015 at 13:49

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2015 at 15:04
I am so glad to see someone start a thread mentioning Jurgen Fritz!Clap

As a recorded musician, he is mostly renowned for his brilliant work in Triumvirat, but he did not do a lot of solo recording efforts apart from that, so as a solo artist, he is not very prominent. (Noteworthy, though, is his soundtrack to the movie "Hard To Be A God".)
               I consider Mr. Fritz to be a musical genius, no less. His style sometimes is inspired by European classical music, and sometimes a bit by jazz. It is the way he puts it all together that makes for a class of it's own. He always knows what notes to play and what notes not to. Other players can do this, but Fritz does it all just a bit better, imo. It makes for a profound listening experience.
                   I know Rick Van der Linden's work in Ekseption and Trace, but nothing beyond that period. He is good, but not in Jurgen Fritz's league.

Edited by presdoug - March 07 2015 at 15:07
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2015 at 15:40
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

I suppose both could fit into the all inclusive 'Prog Related' category,

Some very woolly thinking and fuzzy logic is afoot....Ermm

It took me years to find a copy of the GX1 album. As you state, shame it's more than a bit s.h.i.tUnhappy

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2015 at 03:17
Fritz should be listed for Hard To Be God although that album is totally different to anything he did with Triumvirat and would have to be listed under 'progressive electronic'. Its a very good album and gives Vangelis a run for his money.
I've only recently got Trace - Birds . I was always aware of Van der Linden but had never taken the plunge. Really good album. I know absolutely nothing about his solo career though. that GX1 album might have been interesting but judging by the comments sadly isn't.

I wonder what other 'ex prog' keyboard players have managed to forge a decent solo career? Francis Monkman left Sky to do this very thing but I don't think he was particularly successful. Dave Greenslade of course did okay after Coloseum broke up and Keith Emerson has had a very modestly successful solo career although nothing to rival his arch rival Rick Wakeman. The biggest disappointment for me is Eddie Jobson. Theme Of Secrets is a superb album but then nothing for 30 years.

Edited by richardh - March 08 2015 at 03:18
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2015 at 13:22
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

The biggest disappointment for me is Eddie Jobson. Theme Of Secrets is a superb album but then nothing for 30 years.

He recorded another album (same style) but opted to not release it, thinking (stifling a laugh here) it was "too dark." 
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2015 at 13:25
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

I know Rick Van der Linden's work in Ekseption and Trace, but nothing beyond that period. He is good, but not in Jurgen Fritz's league.            

Not so sure about that, Doug. Fritz is the German Keith Emerson, Rick is the Dutch Rick Wakeman. Different approaches, amazing players. Have a gander at Rick vdL at the piano on the live clip. The guy was a helluva player, just like Jurgen. It boils down to preference.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2015 at 13:41
^Don't tell Emerson and Wakeman that.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2015 at 14:36
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Don't tell them that they don't play exactly alike? They already know. LOL
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2015 at 15:05
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Not so sure about that, Doug. Fritz is the German Keith Emerson, Rick is the Dutch Rick Wakeman. Different approaches, amazing players. Have a gander at Rick vdL at the piano on the live clip. The guy was a helluva player, just like Jurgen. It boils down to preference.
I saw the video of Trace, and to be honest, I still feel the same way. I wish there was a video of Triumvirat in their best prog period so those that did not see them live, could see them.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2015 at 15:19

Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Don't tell them that they don't play exactly alike? They already know. LOL

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2015 at 16:10
^Sorry, man. I wasn't sure what you were getting at. Big smile
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2015 at 16:11

I saw the video of Trace, and to be honest, I still feel the same way. I wish there was a video of Triumvirat in their best prog period so those that did not see them live, could see them.

Nobody will deny Jurgen's talent. The guy is a beast.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2015 at 16:46
^Thanks. And he's still going-in Germany-and turns 62 this week!Thumbs Up
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2015 at 21:00
Happy Birthday, Juergen Fritz!
 Post Reply Post Reply