Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew album by Not A Good Sign (Italy)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: New album by Not A Good Sign (Italy)
    Posted: March 08 2015 at 00:37
A magnificent new album titled  From a Distance  by Not A Good Sign from Italy
Favourite track: Not Now

Paolo "Ske" Botta: keyboards
Alessio Calandriello: vocals
Alessandro Cassani: electric bass, double bass, vocals
Martino Malacrida: drums
Francesco Zago: 12 strings & electric guitars

Jacopo Costa: vibraphone, glockenspiel (tracks 1, 2, 4, 7, 8)
Eleonora Grampa: oboe, english horn (tracks 4, 5, 10)
Maurizio Fasoli: grand piano (tracks 4, 5, 8, 10)
Gian Marco Trevisan: electric guitar (track 5)

Margherita Botta: heart (track 5)

Recorded by Andrea Rizzardo (effettonote), Gabriel
 Simoni (Indie Hub), Paolo Botta (South Central Ceppine Studios), Francesco Zago (Ganascia Studio), Antonio Neppo (Q Recording Studio) and Jacopo Costa (Purple House) between October and December 2014

Edited by Svetonio - March 08 2015 at 00:38
deandob View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2015 at 01:43
Yes, very good. Just purchased it yesterday. I particularly like the first track.

Previous sampling of Italian prog wasn't to my taste - however this is a great album and I liked their previous album also. Are there any Italian bands similar that are recommended listening?
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2015 at 01:57
Originally posted by deandob deandob wrote:

Yes, very good. Just purchased it yesterday. I particularly like the first track.

Previous sampling of Italian prog wasn't to my taste - however this is a great album and I liked their previous album also. Are there any Italian bands similar that are recommended listening?
If you are looking for contemporary RPI, try this: http://invivo.bandcamp.com/album/arise
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2015 at 07:35
I wouldn't call Not A Good Sign a typical RPI band.  In my view, the vocals are the single element in their music that links them to the classic RPI sound, though the choice of using English rather than Italian for the lyrics sets them apart. That said, they are excellent, and their debut album was widely recognized as one of the best releases of 2013. I only heard their latest once, but will have to listen to it more carefully to form an opinion.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2015 at 09:39
I'll be picking it up, to be honest the debut hasn't stuck with me all that much butI've liked the samples I've heard of this so far.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2015 at 21:13
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

I wouldn't call Not A Good Sign a typical RPI band. In my view, the vocals are the single element in their music that links them to the classic RPI sound, though the choice of using English rather than Italian for the lyrics sets them apart. That said, they are excellent, and their debut album was widely recognized as one of the best releases of 2013. I only heard their latest once, but will have to listen to it more carefully to form an opinion.
Of course that it is a very important thing that the bands sing in their native language. The Yugoslav 70s / 80s rock was completely sung in our South Slavic language. And the language so beautifully separated our domestic rock from U.S. / British rock commonwealth.
I understand that today, in the middle of globalization, for young bands it is far more difficult to escape from the terror of English as a global language as well.
However, they must find the ways to be resistant to that ugly phenomena that their songs "must" be sung in English, and I personally support every non-English language band on the world who make an effort to retain their native language in their songs, as opposed to the dictates of globalization.
deandob View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2015 at 04:24

Although singing in English makes the music more accessible to a much larger audience. Look at the number of bands from places like Poland (eg. Riverside) and Sweden (Opeth) who have been successful with English. But I do appreciate the point about supporting bands singing in their native tongue, and I do listen to a number of bands who don't sing in English.

Interestingly the band Svetonio linked to, Invivo, have a sound very similar to modern Australian heavy/progressive artists like Karnivool and The Butterfly Effect. But I don't know what contemporary RPI is, is it a sub-genre of Italian prog?
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2015 at 04:30
RPI = Rock Progressivo Italiano. I would recommend you read the subgenre definition to get a clearer idea: http://www.progarchives.com/subgenre.asp?style=28. In any case, not every prog band from Italy falls under the RPI umbrella.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2015 at 06:21
Originally posted by deandob deandob wrote:

(...)

Interestingly the band Svetonio linked to, Invivo, have a sound very similar to modern Australian heavy/progressive artists like Karnivool and The Butterfly Effect. But I don't know what contemporary RPI is, is it a sub-genre of Italian prog?

I wrote that "RPI" short by mistake, sorry! Embarrassed 
At this site RPI means (mainly) Italian Symphonic rock. And Invivo has nothing to do with that.

Edited by Svetonio - March 09 2015 at 06:23
 Post Reply Post Reply