Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Pink Floyd like you never want to hear them again
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPink Floyd like you never want to hear them again

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pink Floyd like you never want to hear them again
    Posted: March 12 2015 at 11:46
Thanks, Cracked.com

In an article on badly thought out tribute albums, they featured a group of French disco "musicians" calling themselves "Rosebud" on a 1977 Pink Floyd tribute album.  This group showcases just what was wrong with disco, outdoing even Walter Murphy with his hideous "A Fifth of Beethoven" in repetitious badness.

For your enjoyment, "Have A Cigar" - with footage from "Soul Train" that I'm certain did not feature this track:

Once you have scrubbed that from your brain, listen to "Money" in "Disco Stereo":

And finally, for your listening agony, "Interstellar Overdrive":

If that isn't enough, the first page of the article has Hip-Hop acts completely missing the point of Phil Collins' music.
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
AlanB View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2015 at 12:13
Actually that's far better than what the Scissor Sisters did to Comfortably Numb LOL
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2015 at 13:10
Originally posted by AlanB AlanB wrote:

Actually that's far better than what the Scissor Sisters did to Comfortably Numb LOL

I agree with this.  Rosebud was an interesting record, I even owned a copy for a short while in the 80s.

If you think Pink Floyd should never be disco, just remind yourself that they had a number one hit with a disco song (which also included a choir of children)
rotten hound of the burnie crew
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2015 at 13:21
Originally posted by Stool Man Stool Man wrote:

Originally posted by AlanB AlanB wrote:

I agree with this.  Rosebud was an interesting record, I even owned a copy for a short while in the 80s.

If you think Pink Floyd should never be disco, just remind yourself that they had a number one hit with a disco song (which also included a choir of children)

As repetitive rhythmically as Another Brick In The Wall was, it was not as insipid as these tracks.  I'm not saying that there was no worthwhile disco, but far too much was as mindnumbingly repetitive as these poorly conceived atrocities.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2015 at 23:00
French Disco musicians eh?? Funny Jannik Top (from MAGMA) is the bassist here
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2015 at 00:16
French disco musicians who are also French Prog musicians, and those same musicians are also good many other types of music session musicians.

Not just Jannick Top from Magma (though he is the most obvious Magma name on it), but also guitarist Claude Engel and flute/ saxophonist Alain Hatot. Engel performed on Magma's Kobaia and Retrospetiw 1-2, as well as with Univeria Zekt and he performed on two of my other very favourite albums in PA, Jean-Claude Vannier's L'Enfant assassin des mouches and Pascal Duffard's Dieu est Fou amongst other projects in PA. Hatot performed on Udu Wudu.

I originally became aware of this album because I am a Magma and French prog fan and had looked into side-projects of Magma alumnni. I also have a soft spot for disco and think it's got some neat takes on Pink Floyd.

By the way, the Rosebud drummer also performs on one album in PA: Ilois and Decupyer's self-titled, which as but one review made by the topic starter. And I believe that Gerge (George) Rodi also appears on albums in PA (Michele Zacha albums). Good session musicians on this.

Edited by Logan - March 14 2015 at 00:19
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2015 at 01:33
^ Forgot about Engel - nice background info Logan
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2015 at 13:04
Jannick Top & other notables performed on this?

Now I'm surprised that is so simplistic and uninspired.  So much could have been done with Floyd tracks, even in a disco theme.  Taking a few slight elements, one or two lines of lyrics repeated endlessly looks more like a quick way to grab money than an artistic endeavor.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2015 at 16:02
^ Maybe it was ?!
A living has to be made......
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2015 at 19:23
Hmm, the French must really hate British Prog:

What?
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2015 at 01:21
Originally posted by Evolver Evolver wrote:

Jannick Top & other notables performed on this?

Now I'm surprised that is so simplistic and uninspired. 
I think these guys/gals did a decent job, cheezy perhaps, but listen to the synth details, the general 'tightness' overall. You should be able to hear a depth of stylistic understanding which goes beyond the 'fad' players of the day.
I'm not a fan of disco music, never have been, never will be. A good example is the track 'Street Player' by Chicago. Now this is some of the most heavily 'disco' oriented music in my collection - it's really an excellent track - there's just this 'musicianly' approach to it, a genuine sincerity to the genre style, whilst also adding an element of complexity that puts it leagues above the regular 'disco' acts of the day. To play disco demands stamina, and whether one likes it or not, it relies on precision timing (not that Prog music doesn't), but, it's 'pedal to the metal' all the time.
Getting back to Discoballs - this offering was a really cool homage to the masters of Space-Prog, and the variance of the track selection chosen (which is quite excellent), well, they were NEVER going to rake in much. I think they knew that. Enjoy it for what it is (the synth-work is remarkable).
 Post Reply Post Reply