Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPapadosio (Crossover Prog)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Papadosio (Crossover Prog)
    Posted: March 15 2015 at 00:17
Papadosio are a 'livetronica' band originally from Athens, Ohio. I coudn't find since when they have been together but they released their debut album Magreenery on 2007. Since then they've released countless live albums and two more studio albums: Observations (2009) and the concept double-album To End the Illusion of Separation (2012), also known as T.E.T.I.O.S. Their music shares some commons features from other bands on the livetronica and jam band scenes, extended live improvisation, eclectic sound and fusion of different genres. Papadosio fuses psychedelic rock, trip-hop, folk, various styles of dance music, and even bits of funk and blues. But their approach to music is experimental in nature and they do show prog-rock tendencies on their songs. Progressive structures on their composition, some odd time-signatures from time to time, tempo changes, lots of keyboards (mostly synths), and in general complexity. Think of a way more eclectic and definitely more complex Archive. They also add some post-rock and ambient in the mixture, sometimes sounding close to 65daysofstatic but neither as glitchy nor as angular. 

The only thing I'm not completely sure is whether they are a signed band or not, but their albums definitely fit any standard of studio quality and production. Still, they do have a website (http://papadosio.com/) and a bandcamp (http://papadosio.bandcamp.com/), not to mention all the social network stuff (facebook, twitter, etc.).

Here are some samples (mostly from T.E.T.I.O.S. as I think is their most progressive work).

And I think the band, if it were to make it into PA, would fit Crossover Prog. I would say Progressive Electronic too, but I'm not really knowledgeable into the genre so I'm not sure of that.

Edited by Littlecarrots - March 15 2015 at 01:29
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2015 at 11:16
Wow, thanks for the heads up - I am really digging thisBeer
It is however pretty far removed from the kind of music you find on here. It sounds like trip hop hooked up some IDM artists and decided to throw some programmed drums in there for good measure. I really dig the end result though, but I can't see them included on PA anywhere tbh.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
 Post Reply Post Reply