Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSongs that Epitomize Each Sub-genre

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Songs that Epitomize Each Sub-genre
    Posted: March 15 2015 at 16:11
Hey, Gang! 

I've finally gotten up the guts and permission to do my own radio show ("Prog Is Alive!" on WDRT community radio in Viroqua, Wisconsin, 91.9 FM or wdrt.org on the Internet, broadcasting live Sunday nights from 10:00 PM to 12:00 Midnight Central Standard Time [now on Daylight Savings Time]). My intention is to bring awareness to the amazing "progressive rock music" being created in this, the 21st Century, but I will also be referencing the past masters and classics from the past--from the "classic" period of Prog, 1966-80. 

I am hoping to count on some of you for some advice and/or recommendations from time to time. Right now I'm looking for suggestions for individual songs from the 60s/70s that epitomize each of the sub-genres. For example, what one song do you think best represents the Canterbury Scene; which one song best represents Krautrock; which one song in your opinion is the best example from Prog Folk to help educate a sometimes ignorant public, etc. My intention is to use one individual song to help prep the listener for the modern music from that sub-genre that I am excited to share with them.

Any and all help for any of these sub-genres will be greatly appreciated!

Avant/RIO
Crossover
Canterbury
Eclectic
Electronic
Heavy Prog
Jazz Rock
Jazz Fusion
Krautrock
Neo-medieval/Baroque Prog
Neoclasssical Prog
Prog Folk
Psychedelia
RPI
Space/Atmospheric 
Symphonic
Zeuhl

Thank you so much! 

Sincerely, 

Drew Fisher aka "BrufordFreak"

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2015 at 16:25
awesome Drew! Clap  Let us know when the first one is...  I definitely want to tune in!!
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2015 at 16:26
I'll think on some suggestions and post them later on this evening.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2015 at 16:27
Great idea, DrewClap! I'll start with some of my favourite subgenres:

Canterbury - Winter Wine (Caravan)
Eclectic - Starless (King Crimson - what elseWink?)
Heavy Prog - Death Walks Behind You (Atomic Rooster)
Zeuhl - Hortz Fur Dëhn Štekëhn Ẁešt (Magma)

I'll have to think about the other genres, especially Crossover, Prog Folk and Jazz Rock, which have very diverse manifestations. As you asked for songs from the original prog era, I left anything modern out.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2015 at 16:42
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Canterbury - Winter Wine (Caravan)
Eclectic - Starless (King Crimson - what elseWink?)
Zeuhl - Hortz Fur Dëhn Štekëhn Ẁešt (Magma)

I'll have to think about the other genres, especially Crossover, Prog Folk and Jazz Rock, which have very diverse manifestations. As you asked for songs from the original prog era, I left anything modern out.

hmmm.  tossing off a few here for the pleasure of it...

RPI? - oh yeah.. THIS one. If one is inclined to be hooked.. this one will do it.

Canterbury? I agree darling. Caravan for sure.  I"m partial to this one. If only to be able to sing 'on a trip through Picadilly' in ones best attempt at singing with those loveable accents those brits have.

heavy prog? for shame. Though I suppose if I hadn't LOST the frickin album you would have remembered to suggest THE heavy prog track of all time.  MASSIVE.. CRUSHING.. COWBELL!!! the sh*t!!!

Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2015 at 20:23

Canterbury - Winter Wine (Caravan) In my top 5. Was thinking Egg, Khan or another Caravan song, as well.
Eclectic - Starless (King Crimson - what elseWink?) Top 3, for sure!
Zeuhl - Hortz Fur Dëhn Štekëhn Ẁešt (Magma) Definitely!

I had three of the four you suggest on my short lists. I don't know Atomic Rooster. I'll have to give it a listen.

THANKS!!!
Drew Fisher
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2015 at 20:36
Mickey:
PFM, for sure, but I was thinking something from Per un amico cuz their sound and engineering is a bit more evolved by then. I'll think on this one. . . .

"Waterloo Lily" is a good one! I'll take that one under heavy advisement!

Didn't know Captain Beyond before this moment. That is on the spot--great power vocals, solid pulse, great guitar sounds, excellent recording/engineering. This is as good as a Uriah Heep, BÖC, Sabbath, Spirit, or Iron Butterfly. (I was actually thinking of finagling either a BOC Secret Treaties two-fer or something from Led Zep.)

Thanks for the suggestions!

Drew Fisher
ghost_of_morphy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2015 at 08:17
Close to the Edge pretty much nailed symphonic.
Initerstellar Overdrive would work for me for space rock.
Raff's suggestion for zeuhl anc mickey's for heavy prog would get my vote.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2015 at 08:44
Hi,

If we can get the Portsmouth Sinfonia to do a version for each style, then it's all good.

Anything else is nuts ... choosing Caravan over Hatfield and the North or Matching Mole or anything else is totally out of line and brutal!

Edited by moshkito - March 16 2015 at 08:48
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2015 at 10:27
^Do you even bother reading the OP before you post?
Drew is preparing to do a radio show where he seeks to enlighten his listeners with progressive music found in the different subs. He is merely asking us for recs from each of em to cover as much ground as possible. That's how I read it anyway, but you are of course free to believe whatever you want.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2015 at 10:36
Oh and as for the Krautrock choice, then why not opt for the bewitching Egyptian Kings by Brainticket;-)

Indo/Raga: Clivage - Mixtus Orbis (title track) but I guess that's a given:-P

Edited by Guldbamsen - March 16 2015 at 10:37
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
ghost_of_morphy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2015 at 11:41
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Didn't know Captain Beyond before this moment.

Ack! Gasp! Ack! *clutches heart* "I'm coming home, Ethel!"

(You can skip their last album without missing much, though.)
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2015 at 11:43
Originally posted by ghost_of_morphy ghost_of_morphy wrote:

Didn't know Captain Beyond before this moment.

Ack! Gasp! Ack! *clutches heart* "I'm coming home, Ethel!"

(You can skip their last album without missing much, though.)

LOL

I only like their debut, amazing album Clap

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2015 at 15:33

Mickey:
PFM, for sure, but I was thinking something from Per un amico cuz their sound and engineering is a bit more
evolved by then. I'll think on this one. . . .

great album no doubt... just a bit too.. umm.. sedate for my tastes overall.
LOL

"Waterloo Lily" is a good one! I'll take that one under heavy advisement!

I thought it was a good suggestion of course LOL It is a good representative track for the subgenre.. it does sort of nail the cheeky fun side of Canterbury.

Didn't know Captain Beyond before this moment. Wow!  Awesome, glad I helped rectify THAT.  Do get that debut album.  Killer album from start to finish.  Some actually like the more Santana-ish 2nd album more ..but they are out of their minds.  The debut is a alltime classic prog album.. the 2nd is a nice album but missing that FIRE the first had.  That is on the spot--great power vocals, solid pulse, great guitar sounds, excellent recording/engineering. This is as good as a Uriah Heep, BÖC, Sabbath, Spirit, or Iron Butterfly. (I was actually thinking of finagling either a BOC Secret Treaties two-fer or something from Led Zep.)

You can never go wrong with some B.O.C
ClapLOL

Thanks for the suggestions!

NP!  Glad to help. I'll toss a few more your way if you don't get much in the way of help.  Looking forward to hearing the first show!
Smile

Edited by micky - March 16 2015 at 15:34
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2015 at 16:02
There has been considerable debate on exactly when Neo Prog (I'm assuming that you're using NeoClassical for Neo) started, most agree that it was 82 with Twelfth Night or 83 with Marillion so it will be difficult getting something in the 70's that we define as Neo by our categorization.

With that being said, 'Entangled' by Genesis is often referred to as the song that is the precursor to the movement.  If you're looking for something that fits our categorization then I'd recommend 'Script for a Jester's Tears' by Marillion even though it's not from the 70's.
-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2015 at 17:32
^ haha.  Just pick a Genesis song man for Neo..  they were the first you know WinkLOLSleepy

well.. let me take a stab it this.

Avant/RIO - I'd suggest something from Univers Zero.. ties in very neatly to what I am hearing in the modern scene today.

Crossover - I don't think the Moodies translate well from 60's-70's to what you are gunnin' for in terms of modern groups.  Supertramp comes to mind.. but I'll offer this as an alternative to perhaps the obvious choice of groups.

Canterbury - yeah.. sticking with Waterloo Lily.

Eclectic  - umm hmmm...  now this is eclectic prog and one of the finist albums of the subgenre.

Electronic - how could I NOT suggest this one.  Frose's finest....RIP man. I get a contact high just listening to this.

Heavy Prog - oh yeah.  I Can't Feel  Nothin'

Jazz Rock - none better man...

Jazz Fusion - oh hell yeah..

Krautrock - picking this.. like UZ above to perhaps help you with tieing this in .. classic to modern.  I love Can.. everyone loves Can. This one I think can show just this scene touched modern music.

Neo-medieval/Baroque Prog  - what the hell is that?   Oh..  you mean this group LOL

Neoclasssical Prog - hahahha what the hell is that.=? Oh ... you mean this guy LOL

Prog Folk - oh yeah forget that Tull bullsh*t.. go with this killer album

Psychedelia  - the one and only..

RPI - definitely PFM.. good luck chosing one LOL

Space/Atmospheric - this will have your listeners firing up J's a plenty!!

Symphonic -scare the hell out of your listeners hahah.. all the while while showing them some great sympho

Zeuhl - agree with Raff!

Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2015 at 17:44
This beauty would fit in both Prog Folk and Neo-Medieval:

As regards RPI, though PFM are outstanding, we would also need to showcase the subgenre's heavier/darker edge. I think this stunning anti-war song encapsulates both aspects of my native country's prog scene:

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2015 at 17:50
^ god I LOVE that Pentangle song... excellent choice

yeah..  I agree with you on the RPI edginess.. which is why I suggested what I did over something from Per Un Amico. Then again... you go Francesco there.  Hard choice I suppose between the two bands.  I'd suggest Metamorfosi for Banco then.. man that cooks and Francesco shows up at the end to bring it all back home.

The vocals are important .. just as much as the edginess so common in RPI. Don't forget that for the vast majority of us twerps..  we don't undersand a damn word .. thus the voice is much more reinforced as the instrument it is without the distraction of crappy half-baked lyric so prevalent in prog LOL
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2015 at 17:57
Actually, the lyrics to "Dopo... Niente e' piu' lo stesso" are as stunning as the music, but I wouldn't presume to butcher them with a bad translation. Poetry should be left alone as much as possible, unless you're a poet yourself (and I am not).
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2015 at 18:04

Actually, the lyrics to "Dopo... Niente e' piu' lo stesso" are as stunning as the music, but I wouldn't presume to butcher them with a bad translation. Poetry should be left alone as much as possible, unless you're a poet yourself (and I am not).

amen sista... now all if the muso-philosophers thought the same.. and left the thinking to the thinkers.. the prog world would have been a better place. I have about the same desire to listen to some muso who had a nice education think he has the world figured out... as I do some philosopher who bought a Fender Strat and figured.. hey.. I can be a prog musician.

No thanks.. muso should just play.. leave the thinking for the book readers in us LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>