Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSteve Hackett post Defector - any good?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2015 at 10:29
To Watch The Storms is probably my favourite SH album. I also like Out Of The Tunnel's Mouth. I have not heard too much by him I don't like. Never occurred to me there was a cut off point. He's had a great career and its still going strong!
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2015 at 10:25
I only have a few Hackett albums, but "Til We Have Faces" is one of them and I can vouch that it's a good album.  It's got some interesting African music ideas on it, if I recall correctly.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2015 at 10:20
Darktown is magnificent because the songwriting isn't geared toward a melodic "Pop" oriented melody. To be honest, some of Steve Hackett's songwriting containing vocal melody is not all that different from 10CC or Supertramp. He is very crafted at writing instrumental music as well. As in the case of Anthony Phillips who is yet another instrumentalist type that occasionally crosses into commercially viable songwriting styles. Another fine guitarist who produces great instrumental music and writes radio friendly material is Andrew Latimer. Although he never scored a hit, he was to the level of some of the greats like 10CC, Supertramp. and Mike Oldfield. Steve Hackett is skilled in being an instrumentalist and a songwriter. You would have to surf through tracks to find the right album, but I would recommend Darktown.

Edited by TODDLER - March 16 2015 at 10:21
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2015 at 10:09
Please Don't Touch "iffy" and "not cohesive"? MY AS, IT IS!! I enjoyed Hackett up to Till We Have Faces, although he unfortunately screeched his way through that one blues number on it. Darktown has been a challenge to get into. It hits all the marks but in a rather subdued fashion. It's hard for me to want to invest in any thing since, although I hear that second album of Genesis standards is quite good.
fudgenuts64 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2015 at 09:58
I absolutely love Steve Hackett's solo career. So far, that is. Everything up to Defector is fantastic, with Please Don't Touch being a bit iffy at times, but it's not a cohesive album anyway. I do have Cured, and while the pop influence is clearly there, stuff like The Air Conditioned Nightmare and A Cradle of Swans keeps my interest. Nick Magnus is REALLY good too, and I know he plays on Highly Strung and Till We Have Faces as well. Additionally, I have Bay of Kings and it's quite nice, love it for downtime, but I'm mostly looking for the main studio stuff, not classical guitar or live albums. So the big question is...

How is the stuff from Darktown onwards? Pretty late into his career, but with that said, his good stuff was always the instrumental material. And I have a strong feeling he probably keeps this up still. I'm honestly quite excited for Wolflight despite not knowing any of his newer stuff. Is it worth exploring? Or should I stick with the old stuff?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12