Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSteve Hackett post Defector - any good?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2015 at 10:49
His recent stuff is by far the best he's ever done solo imo. To Watch The Storms is probably my favourite; Wild Orchids is pretty good, Out of the Tunnel's Mouth has a couple of wonderful pieces and a couple of weaker ones. I'm just listening to the newest, which 12 has described as 'like fantasy video game music with a rock feel' which beats my reviewing skills. Probably a little less strong overall, sort of feels like what Voyage Of The Acolyte would be rerecorded as his current level.
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2015 at 23:26
Love Defector, I think The Steppes is one of his best pieces. For me his studio output wavered after this although I hear his later material got better. Cured, Highly Strung and Till We Have faces was not in the same league as his accoustic album and previous studio work....IMO.
Rando View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2015 at 09:56
Originally posted by fudgenuts64 fudgenuts64 wrote:

I absolutely love Steve Hackett's solo career. So far, that is. Everything up to Defector is fantastic, with Please Don't Touch being a bit iffy at times, but it's not a cohesive album anyway. I do have Cured, and while the pop influence is clearly there, stuff like The Air Conditioned Nightmare and A Cradle of Swans keeps my interest. Nick Magnus is REALLY good too, and I know he plays on Highly Strung and Till We Have Faces as well. Additionally, I have Bay of Kings and it's quite nice, love it for downtime, but I'm mostly looking for the main studio stuff, not classical guitar or live albums. So the big question is...

How is the stuff from Darktown onwards? Pretty late into his career, but with that said, his good stuff was always the instrumental material. And I have a strong feeling he probably keeps this up still. I'm honestly quite excited for Wolflight despite not knowing any of his newer stuff. Is it worth exploring? Or should I stick with the old stuff?

Since departing Genesis Hackett's solo career has been a musical evolution of varied styles while taking his guitar to yet other realms and dimensions. He has never been shy exploring and experimenting with possibilities always keeping us wondering what's next.

My older favorite - "Spectral Mornings"

After that - "To Watch The Storms" ( For me its arguably his crowning achievement).

Smile

- Music is Life, that's why our hearts have beats -
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2015 at 10:29
Hackett is so eclectic that I don't find any of his albums good or bad all the way through.  I thought "Voyage" was just too Genesis like and "please Don't Touch" quite weak, but since then there's been plenty to enjoy on most albums.  One of my fave "recent" tracks is "Fire on the Moon", but the flipside of that is "Mechanical Bride", which is a godawful tribute to 21st century schizoid man if I ever heard one.  I have been getting into Nick Magnus' solo work which sounds very Hackett and Genesis like at times.  "Children of Another God" and "Hexameron" are probably my favorites of his
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2015 at 23:57
Hackett bends boundaries.....and expectations.  He puts out such diverse stuff.....and he never stops working and touring....by far the most prolific of the classic prog stable.  There is so much to like, but there are also things I didn't like.....Cured and Feedback 86 are just the tip of the iceberg.  I didn't like Please Don't Touch.....schizophrenic album; I didn't like his blues album.....just didn't seem to fit; I didn't like parts of Spectral Morning.....overproduced. 

I love his classical-flavored records.....his Midsummer Night's Dream.....beautiful.  I also dig what he does with the Genesis back catalog....I know some can't stand it, but I love to hear that stuff brought back to life with Steve in a featured setting.  Always wish he was more pronounced in the classic Genesis mix. 
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12