Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPeter Gabriel's Early Solo Career

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2015 at 19:59
Peter Gabriel is kinda my muse Embarrassed

So, I totally agree: the beggning of the solo carer is fantastic. "Car" is a great album; from "Melt", "And through the wire" and "Biko" give me goosebumps; and the live album is just great to hear when you want something more ethereal and a compilation from the fisrt four.
- From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2015 at 22:45
The first 4 are all very good but I have always had a soft spot for 'Car'.....such a unique selection of songs and Here Comes The Flood is worth it alone...imo.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Kirillov View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2015 at 05:48
'Car' has always been my favourite but I have also have a soft spot for 'Us' - Come Talk To Me, Digging In the Dirt, Washing of the Water - great stuff.

Edited by Kirillov - June 04 2015 at 05:48
the lighthouse keepe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2015 at 06:23
Gabriel's first four albums are excellent,and contain some outstanding songs.Would love it if PG would release the b-sides of the singles at some point.Across the River,Soft Dog,Shosholoza,the extended version of Perspective,and Jetzt Kommt die Flut(German version of Here Comes the Flood)are all worth hearing.The Plays Live cd is also good,and contains the brilliant I Go Swimming.By the way is there a German lyric version of the Melt album ? I'm sure this was released after the English version and is titled The Deutsche Album!

"Hello sun.Hello bird.
Hello my lady.
Hello breakfast.May I buy you
again tomorrow?"
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2015 at 06:39
Originally posted by the lighthouse keepe the lighthouse keepe wrote:

By the way is there a German lyric version of the Melt album ? I'm sure this was released after the English version and is titled The Deutsche Album!

Yes, at least there certainly was. For some inexplicable reason I bought it many years ago on vinyl. Whether it's ever been on CD or not I couldn't say.
Rando View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2015 at 17:00
Originally posted by Xonty Xonty wrote:

Basically what I'm asking is how highly do you rank his 70s/early 80s solo output (in comparison with what Genesis were doing at the time)? Why? And what were your favourite tracks from this period?

Thanks for any feedback Smile

Peter Gabriel - Yeah that "unique voice & unique style" went on to create his own world finally detaching himself and diving off the mother ship Genesis-I felt it sort of ping-ponged the hardcore Genesis fans to wait and listen to what was to come-And when it did it didn't disappoint-I think his first album (Car) was a great statement and a fantastic start of his solo career, with "Moribund..." "Solsbury Hill," "Humdrum," and "Here Comes The Flood." And it got better with "Melt," and "Security," all the way to the commercial success of "Sledgehammer."
I don't think you could compare to what Genesis were doing simultaneously. Gabriel had created his own sound and even his voice style was different, with World music influences and complex rhythms.
There were singles, one of my favorites, "Walk Through The Fire," and even a cover of The Beatles "Strawberry Fields Forever."

Smile   
- Music is Life, that's why our hearts have beats -
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2015 at 07:38
Originally posted by Rando Rando wrote:

There were singles, one of my favorites, "Walk Through The Fire," and even a cover of The Beatles "Strawberry Fields Forever."

The cover of Strawberry Fields is definitely worth checking out.
lostrom View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2015 at 22:22
His first is his best!
lostrom
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2015 at 22:50
The first four are his best. " San Jacinto" the absolute masterpiece from " Security". I think " Scratch" gets a bum rap, especially listening to Exposure, Mother of Violence, In The Air all excellent. PG 1 is mindboggling it is so good. It sounds better today. For me his work risked sounding a bit bland in parts from " So" onwards. I still love his later works albeit highly infrequent releases, just not as solid and unique as the first four.

I personally believe Genesis at the same time were just as creative and brilliant well up until the " shapes' album anyway.
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Komandant Shamal View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2015 at 23:53
He did do some nice stuff in 80s but he never again released some songs that could be in comparision with that sublime stuff of his earliest solo output - THE songs as "Solsbury Hill," "Humdrum", "Here Comes The Flood", "Down The Dolce Vita", "Indigo"..... 
t d wombat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2015 at 00:34
Like most Genesis nutters of the time I was gutted when he walked. Then along came Trick and all was well with the world followed by Gabriel I. Through that period though I was never overly rapt in Follow You Follow Me, Genesis produced what were for me some of there best work while Gabriel rumbled on with PGII, PG 111 and PGIV. I can understand the complaints re some of the production but overall they were fabulous albums and when you throw in Plays Live I'm a happy wee marsupial though I do miss the saxophone on the live versions of Family Snapshot.

The thing I find my intriguing is this .... does anything think that PGI was the album Gabriel would have made after the Lamb ?
Andrew B

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.” ― Julius Henry Marx
PrognosticMind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2015 at 05:33
All of Gabriel's solo stuff is just as amazing for me as his work with Genesis. The dude just shines regardless of the situation!

Great post, OP.
"A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous. Got me?"
Sunflower View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2015 at 13:46
Hello,

I didn't listen to the 'Car' lp a lot 'till got it on cd, and i  think its his best.
from getting to hear a range of his catalog from the  "> Play" dvd. 
Even if you fall on your face, you're still moving forward.
Victor Kiam
RockHound View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2015 at 23:00
I find the entire PG solo discography to be exceptional. Car, melt, security, and up are my favorites. Scratch found him searching for the identity he found on melt. So is a top quality album, but just a bit too commercial for my taste. Us seemed a bit uninspired, but Up was well worth the wait.
Sunflower View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2015 at 08:07
I'll have to check out some tunes on Up.
Even if you fall on your face, you're still moving forward.
Victor Kiam
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2015 at 08:40
Originally posted by Sunflower Sunflower wrote:

I'll have to check out some tunes on Up.

The opening track is a killer track ShockedClap
docall27 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2015 at 12:04
I am a bigger fan of Gabriel the solo artist than I am Genesis.  I loved the early albums as well as "So" which is a brilliant piece of 80s pop.
TGM: Orb View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2015 at 09:05
Originally posted by Xonty Xonty wrote:

I've been obsessed with Peter Gabriel's string of self-titled albums recently, and having just played along on guitar to his debut ("Car"), I've noticed how incredibly well-written his music is. If like me, you know about theory and love it when people break the rules but manage to keep it sounding great/even better, I guarantee you'll be surprised by looking at the chords and effortless modulations on his debut in particular.

Anyway, his early career on the whole is often overlooked and there's lots of variety and fantastic songs in there to be found/revisited. Even his weaker sophomore release ("Scratch") has some killer tracks and should get more appreciation on PA. Of course, most of us love his 3rd album ("Melt"), for whatever reasons. However, I rarely hear about tunes like "I Don't Remember" and "Not One Of Us" which I'd consider up there with the others. "Security" is also overloaded with some very intricate and hypnotic patterns, plus catchy songs like "Shock The Monkey" and more lyrical moments e.g. "Wallflower". 

Basically what I'm asking is how highly do you rank his 70s/early 80s solo output (in comparison with what Genesis were doing at the time)? Why? And what were your favourite tracks from this period?

Thanks for any feedback Smile

Car is kind of slapdash overall. Songs are individually OK but way too shiny and big for me nowadays. Gorgeous version of Here Comes The Flood on Fripp's Exposure blows the one here out of the water. Second album sounds like it was recorded in a sock. Third is brilliant though I'm kind of iffy on Biko these days. Fourth is about 2/3s masterpiece then a couple of rather limp pieces.

After that I think the consistency goes up but the quality goes down. Us is probably my favourite of his albums.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12