Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedhello everyone

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: hello everyone
    Posted: March 23 2015 at 21:59
I have used the reviews on this site to evaluate potential purchases at my local record stores (Amoeba Music!) for years. Sometimes I have felt that maybe contributing reviews could help other people as well. So I finally joined!

I have been a long-time listener of progressive rock  - got into Rush, Genesis, and Yes in high school in the '80s while living in Tokyo, Magma in the earlier '90s while in college and again in the 2000s, Gong and Soft Machine as well. I feel very fortunate to have seen some of these bands live as well over the years. I also like jazz-rock fusion in its various forms, funk, blues, electronic, classical, etc.

Oh yeah, I play music too - during & after college it was Grateful Dead/Phish kind of stuff, more recently I try and incorporate a more varied mix of influences. Bass guitar mostly, some synths.

Anyway, thank you for having this site!
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2015 at 22:09
Howdy, neighbor! You be living in my neck of the woods. I spend WAAAAY too much money at Amoeba myself but music is my drug of choice. I too use this site for purchases and am impressed that Amoeba has a decent amount of prog in stock. Glad to have you join the site and contribute your musical experiences 

hieronymous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2015 at 21:49
Thanks for the welcome! Yeah, Amoeba can be dangerous - fortunately I don't live that close now, I used to drop lots of money there! Actually, been trying to sell some stuff off, it definitely hurts less to buy stuff with store credit!

By the way, I posted my first review! http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=1386866

Hope I didn't go overboard...
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2015 at 22:01
Greetings from another SFer here, and yeah Amoeba is far too tempting (sometimes I'll see someone at the Psych/Prog section and wonder if they're on PA)

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2015 at 18:00
Yeah, I love the specialty sections at Amoebas SF & Berkeley - not sure how much "psych" there is in there, and Berkeley I think still calls it "International Rock," genres are a messy business! I noticed that Soft Machine can now be found in SF's Psych-Prog section, which works for me. Also cool to see vinyl - the Magma vinyl stuff is tempting! I think that the Hollywood store just has everything mixed together, though New & Used are found in separate sections.

Here I am at Amoeba SF with my newly purchased copy of "Šlağ Tanz"!

Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2015 at 01:19
I remember when that was a bowling alley, quite a dive

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2015 at 10:02
So I've been active here for about a month, and enjoying myself. Posted my review of the San Francisco Magma concert (http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=102008), learned not to get into discussions about genre (especially if hip hop is involved...), and even started my own thread! (http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=102068)

I want to start a poll, but at this point I'm not allowed - I think maybe I need 40 posts? I'm trying to walk the fine line between active participation and spamming to reach a specific poll count! Anyway, just wanted to say that I'm having fun, though I wish I had more time to write reviews...
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2015 at 10:10
Welcome aboard from the Great White North. Never been to California but would love to venture there some day. We have our own versions of it here in Ontario, Grand Bend and Wasaga Beaches (unfortunately not year round). Jump onto the 'Just for Fun' forums and join in a few games. It's fun and will grow your points value without being considered spam. Always looking for more fun here.

Cheers Big smile
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2015 at 11:17
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Welcome aboard from the Great White North. Never been to California but would love to venture there some day. We have our own versions of it here in Ontario, Grand Bend and Wasaga Beaches (unfortunately not year round). Jump onto the 'Just for Fun' forums and join in a few games. It's fun and will grow your points value without being considered spam. Always looking for more fun here.

Cheers Big smile
Thank you! I can actually say that I have visited Canada three times - once to Vancouver & twice to Alberta. Beautiful country you have there - I think my next stop at some point in the future is Toronto.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2015 at 15:13
Originally posted by hieronymous hieronymous wrote:

Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Cheers Big smile
Thank you! I can actually say that I have visited Canada three times - once to Vancouver & twice to Alberta. Beautiful country you have there - I think my next stop at some point in the future is Toronto.
Two beautiful destinations to be sure, I have a good friend in Vancouver and I've lived in Alberta, Canmore and Calgary and Edmonton. I live about about 1-1/2 hrs NW of TO now but I've worked there from time to time and may be again soon. Head a little North towards Collingwood, Ontario's cottage country, beaches and small mountain area, better than the BIG city Wink we've all seen our share of sky scrapers.

Edited by JD - April 26 2015 at 15:15
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2015 at 16:50
OK - I think I am going to review the recent FZ release Roxy by Proxy next - just came in the mail a couple of days ago! Also planning on doing a review of Magma's Merci - need to pull it out and give it a listen again. Seems like most people hate it but I grew to really appreciate it.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2015 at 20:20
Ha! Love the Sl*g Tanz "selfie"! 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2015 at 13:05
Thought I would update - haven't done as many reviews as I had hoped, but I did manage to get my Magma poll "Favorite Magma Bassist?" finished!

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=103661
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2016 at 22:35
My first year anniversary since I started actively participating is coming up! Amazingly, in that time I've seen MAGMA perform twice! Thought I would commemorate it with another MAGMA album cover selfie, this time with me in the shot wearing my MAGMA necktie:

I call it "facing towards Kobaļa..."

I was going to complain about some people I have encountered here, but decided to keep it positive. I will say that I don't like judgmental people, especially ones that think they are the arbiters of what is "good" music and what isn't. There sure are some strong opinions here! But it's alright, forces me to look at myself too. 

There are some cool people here too, don't get me wrong! My favorite thing is when someone posts about something - a band, an album, etc. - and it inspires me to get it out and listen again! Still have to do that TLLDOB (sorry, The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway) - many people think it is Genesis's greatest work, but it is one of my least favorites!
 Post Reply Post Reply