Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Ozric Tentacles release Technicians of the Sacred
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedOzric Tentacles release Technicians of the Sacred

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ozric Tentacles release Technicians of the Sacred
    Posted: March 24 2015 at 15:04
The release date and track listing appeared, so we know all the details... apart from the music itself Smile

The new DOUBLE CD and vinyl album set, Technicians of The Sacred, will released on Snapper's "Madfish" label on May 11th, 2015 in the UK, one day prior to the first UK performance at the London O2 Academy Islington, and May 26th, 2015 in the US, prior to the first US performance at Infrasound Festival in Black River Falls, WI with Tipper, Ott, Opiuo, Mr. Bill, Benga, and many more...
The supporting tour starts on April 25th with their first perfomance in Warsaw, and is currently confirmed through Europe, UK, and the US, though bookings are still in the works for many more countries. Keep an eye on the Gigs & Tours section for updates.

At long last! Ozric's 21st studio album. 90 minutes of mind bending astral journies ready and waiting to transport you to another world. Over 30 years into their musical career, Ozric's continue to push the boundries where no band has gone before. This epic offering takes you on a journey of awakening through musical celebration, it encourages listeners to take a step away from the restraints of traditional and modern days styles or genres, and open their minds to any possibility. "Technicians of the Sacred" is the group's first double length album in 25 years, since their ground breaking Erpland LP released in 1990. 

CD1
1. The High Pass (08:23)
2. Butterfly Garden (05:04)
3. Far Memory (07:10)
4. Changa Masala (06:04)
5. Zingbong (08:26)
6. Switchback (10:11)

CD2
1. Epiphlioy (11:49)
2. The Unusual Village (06:20)
3. Smiling Potion (07:12)
4. Rubbing Shoulders With The Absolute (08:36)
5. Zenlike Creature (09:54)

Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2015 at 15:07
Wonderful!

I eagerly await it.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2015 at 15:32
Lovely artwork
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2015 at 01:15
Oh !! I'm wetting my pants - it looks promising, I just wish they'd cut back on the programming and return to their more 'band' sounding efforts.
The Hidden Step was the last really strong album IMO, but all the albums since then have their fair share of marvellous tracks.
Roll on May.
deafmoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2015 at 11:00
Anxiously awaiting to listen to this!!!!!!
Deafmoon
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2015 at 10:15
Hi,

Any information on the lineup? Could not locate clear information and their website does not show it either.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2015 at 20:12
I believe the current line-up for this recording, and live performance is the Wynnes - Ed, Brandi and Silas, along with a Hungarian drummer whose name escapes me right now.
Balazs Szende, I believe.

Edited by Tom Ozric - April 02 2015 at 20:16
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2015 at 20:24
Funny enough, their last album has finally grown on me. I like all their stuff, but sometimes the music is just there. Their old stuff is fantastic, the 2000s and 2010s stuff is hit or miss. Looking forward to this.
petersen88 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2015 at 04:56
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

I believe the current line-up for this recording, and live performance is the Wynnes - Ed, Brandi and Silas, along with a Hungarian drummer whose name escapes me right now.
Balazs Szende, I believe.

Yes, that is the lineup, plus Paul Hankin on percussion and stuff I guess.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2015 at 23:40
Nice.
petersen88 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2015 at 15:03
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2015 at 02:52
I've been spinning this new OT ALBUM recently and so far it's done very little for me.
It's quite disappointing actually. Has Ed's production sapped all the human qualities out of this offering ??
The drums/percussion all sound programmed, it's hard to tell if there's anything 'natural' being hit here. And it doesn't sound like Brandi even picked up a four-stringed beast throughout the proceedings. The songs are also repetitive and too long for their own good. The synths and guitars are intact, but gee, this sounds like an Ed Wynne solo. I don't even know why he's credited a rhythm section, this sounds like the Ed and Silas show to me.
This is a notch or three below Paper Monkeys for me, and I really feel like changing my user name coz this 'band' is pretty much running on vapours left behind by a once, exciting and very special group of inspired musicians.
I'm turning to Hidria Spacefolk, who carry on in the tradition of 'classic' OT.
Technicians Of The Sacred is just sad and tired.
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2015 at 03:11
^I've only listened to the album once and certainly enjoyed it, though none of it was especially memorable to me on that first spin. 

I've always been of the view that if you like one of theirs you'll like them all - there is that homogenous nature to their music Wink.  I will need to listen to this more to have a firm opinion but I like all theirs I've heard (I think I have 10 of theirs now) and tend to like the modern more electronic-based albums.  This will be lined up for in-car listening the rest of the week Tongue.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2015 at 04:05
^ Maybe that's just it - I prefer 'Rocking' OT - as in Pungent through Hidden Step.
I'm not too excited by the full-blown 'electronic' textures Ed and Co. offer up in recent years.
The best TotS can offer is : Far Memory (for its soothing qualities), Epiphlioy (coz it reminds a bit of Saucers and Curious Corn) and Zenlike Creature (coz it's more 'Rocking').
I also notice some tasteful Gliss-Guitar, which always recalls Gong to my ears.
I'm even at pains to offer it up a 3rd star, though I've only listened to it 3 times. I don't think I'll ever warm to it any time soon. Guess I'm a fan-boy in this case.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2015 at 06:07
I rather liked it on my first spins - so much so that I proclaimed it to be the best Ozrics album since Waterfall Cities. I still think it's pretty good, but my interest has dropped a notch or two in the past few weeks.
Anyway, it sounds and feels like an Ozrics album - that is psychedelic rock mixed with Goa or Psytrance as the youngins call it these days.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2015 at 06:23
It's all too 'plastic' (or synthetic, if you will) - If this is where Ed wants to go, then good for him, I just don't think I'll be going along for the ride anymore. Give me any of the 80's 'tape' albums (Sliding Gliding, Tantric Obstacles etc......)
There is little magic here, heck, this is almost 90 friggin' minutes long - with some careful editing (and total ditching of several tracks in this case) we could've had a reasonable 40-odd minute album, but alas.......
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2015 at 06:37
The track you mentioned Epiphlioy sticks in my memory as being my favourite on first listen.

I'll report back here friday after another coupla listens Cool
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2015 at 17:18
I spun Tantric Obstacles, which dates from 1985. Utterly brilliant, inspired stuff, powerful enough to re-arrange the order of the universe. Well, that's how it sounded after Technicians.......
Also spun Paper Monkeys, and it too, is much more enjoyable than Technicians. HAD there been a more prominent rhythm section - chunky bass guitar and drum kit, Technicians would be a helluva lot better. Imagine what Zia and Merv could've added to this work ?? So, the compositions themselves aren't bad, Ed knows what he's doing, but I find it all very synthetic with too little input from the other members.
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2015 at 17:28
See, I'm with Dave on this one, who spot on mentions the `Psytrance' tag. It's a style of electronic music that can be very hit and miss, but I think the Ozrics mostly got it right on this one.

Sure enough the album is way too long, but to me it takes the best of the electronic elements of their albums from `Waterfall Cities' onwards, and I like that the first disc eases up on that shreddy electric guitar. A mix of world and electronic elements that sounds like the past and future...or something like that!

I think it's their most inspired, vibrant and determined to impress work in years, certainly their best since `The Hidden Step'.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2015 at 17:39
If I had a complaint about TOTS it's that it's a little mellow for my tastes. I'd like a few more sections to go to 11, so to speak.

But it's minor complaint. It's still very good, clearly realized, and technically proficient. I'm not sure where I'd put it in their oeuvre...probably mid pack, but that'smore on the strength of their other material than any weakness in this one.  
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>