Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat makes a good Prog song?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2015 at 10:06
Hi,

Written as a giggle! Some items that are necessary! With a loud thank you to Pete and Dud!

1. Lots of quiet and silent breaks to send away the "prog'istas"

2. Lots of meandering passages so music experts can say that it's a waste of space! A waste of notes and chords!!!

3. Very slow parts with a singer barely saying anything, so progressive "fashionistas" will think that the words are important. Sex like sounds and the like in the background are a bonus!

4. A very loud guitar that seems to be on its own completely apart from the rest of the music, so wwe think this is more progressive.

5. All other musicians take a cigarette break during the loud guitar part, because you can put a small brick on top of 5 keys on the keyboard, and you can turn on the auto drummer and kick in the synth and bass pads!

6. Even though you can not see it during the CD and the listening, the pictures of the band show a massive light show with so much fog and clouds, that we think this is far out. The colors weren't bad either!

7. Towards the end of the piece, there ALWAYS will be a very berry loud organ playing. However, it must not reach the 20ft size yet! Or it won't be "progressive" ... ie. have a chance to grow!

8. A format that has to resemble a sonata so the mass listenership can enjoy it and not think that there is no music here.

9. The drumming has to be repetitive (with loud snare of course!) so that folks know where the beat of the music is supposed to be, and to make them think that this is REAL music!

10. When the band hits the top ten of progressive lists, it is related to God-like status and everyone else has to go die for it, and be a total bum and idiot and not know anything about music, let alone "progressive". This way, there won't be competition for any hashish hashin out there!

Edited by moshkito - March 29 2015 at 10:16
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
RockHound View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2015 at 11:27
More cowbell!
Carcharodon View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2015 at 11:45
Lyrics in kobaian

Edited by Carcharodon - March 29 2015 at 11:51
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2015 at 12:20
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

If it doesn't have Mellotron, it's not very proggy.  Not sure why Emerson never warmed to them, he probably broke his the minute he tried to play it.  
An interesting question about Wakeman's aversion to the Mellotron. I just  listened to Strawbs' Live at the BBC Vol Two, on Friday, that showcases excerpts of three concerts that feature the Wakeman, Weaver, and Hawken keyboard centered Strawbs incarnations, and Wakeman's little use of Mellotron is quite marked. However, unlike his musical followers, Wakeman does some incredible piano and organ improvisations instead that are jaw dropping.
Perhaps he felt that, for him, the Mellotron was simply superfluous. 

Edited by SteveG - March 29 2015 at 13:15
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2015 at 16:53
One carbon atom, six hydrogen atoms and an oxygen atom are the elements that improve prog for me.

Preferably in a liquid brewed by Wychwood, Timothy Taylors or similar.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2015 at 17:30
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

If it doesn't have Mellotron, it's not very proggy.  Not sure why Emerson never warmed to them, he probably broke his the minute he tried to play it.  
An interesting question about Wakeman's aversion to the Mellotron. I just  listened to Strawbs' Live at the BBC Vol Two, on Friday, that showcases excerpts of three concerts that feature the Wakeman, Weaver, and Hawken keyboard centered Strawbs incarnations, and Wakeman's little use of Mellotron is quite marked. However, unlike his musical followers, Wakeman does some incredible piano and organ improvisations instead that are jaw dropping.

Wakeman did play Mellotron on a number of his solo albums and with Yes. It was Emerson who messed with one once (?) and then left it.
Guy Guden View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2015 at 18:42
No matter how good the song is, Steven Wilson will re-master it. Smile
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2015 at 01:02
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

this is my best example of a 60's prog song with piano and yes flute too. Filmed on location at Machu Picchu. This absolute outstanding to date! Really! La poderosa muerte - Los Jaivas en Machu Picchu https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AO8pY09h_Y

"Movimientos metalicos"! That was pretty cool. Do you like Triana and Bloque?

Hello Verslibre Smile,
Now you make me feel as dumb as a cucumber as I do not know what Triana and Bloque means? However I am most curious really in knowing this now Big smile hugs Hug
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2015 at 01:08
Originally posted by Guy Guden Guy Guden wrote:

Guy hahaha but no matter how good the song is, Steven Wilson if asked he will re-master it. Smile
True but unlike many he does not push the sound into compression like many others, infact he refused to do that on KG in the court of crimson king, after this my adorable funny too grumpy Robert Fripp agreed and even gained more respect for him ApproveHug
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2015 at 01:15
Originally posted by RockHound RockHound wrote:

More cowbell!
Hug
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2015 at 01:20
Originally posted by thwok thwok wrote:

In response to richardh, I feel you man!  If you're saying that Emerson's problem was not enough mellotron, I completely agree.  Of course, my intense disdain for ELP leads me to find most of what they do problematic.

It was entirely an ironic comment

Even Rick Wakeman said the Mellotron was a 'cheat' although he continued to use it. I guess for Rick it was a cheap and easy way to create a choir before he had enough money to do it properly.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2015 at 02:30

this is my best example of a 60's prog song with piano and yes flute too. Filmed on location at Machu Picchu. This absolute outstanding to date! Really! La poderosa muerte - Los Jaivas en Machu Picchu https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AO8pY09h_Y

Hello Verslibre Smile,
Now you make me feel as dumb as a cucumber as I do not know what Triana and Bloque means? However I am most curious really in knowing this now Big smile hugs Hug

Hi, Katita,

I thought you preferred zucchini. LOL

Bloque and Triana are both Spanish progressive rock bands.

"Poemas de Soledad / Alquimista Soy" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JElEFwnGvJA

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2015 at 11:39

Wakeman did play Mellotron on a number of his solo albums and with Yes. It was Emerson who messed with one once (?) and then left it.
Wakeman was not terribly enthused with the Mellotron early in his career and tended to use  the smaller Moog synths when he tenured with Yes. That's not to say he didn't use them at all, as is the case with the  time warped orchestral section in And You And I from CTTE.
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2015 at 11:42

Hello Verslibre Smile,

Hi, Katita,

I thought you preferred zucchini. LOL

Bloque and Triana are both Spanish progressive rock bands.

"Poemas de Soledad / Alquimista Soy" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JElEFwnGvJA

ha! Thanks Verslibre, going to look and listen to both bands now ha! Thank you very much mhwoaahhxxxx hugs Hug
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2015 at 11:51

Wakeman was not terribly enthused with the Mellotron early in his career and tended to use  the smaller Moog synths when he tenured with Yes. That's not to say he didn't use them at all, as is the case with the  time warped orchestral section in And You And I from CTTE.
Cooee! Having a mellotron/novatron is not necessary as a requirement to be prog, too many factors are at play here Wink ok now this band at the time with David Byron and Ken Hensley on Hammond organ was prog and they were so good Big smile uriah heep - july morning 1972 live - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzRrGNygjzs&list=PLMyHPEAFkfwMnzu3X4ADg_4lK7g75AIDM&index=3
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2015 at 13:17

Rick also used it on TFTO, but the 'Tron appears with reasonable frequency on a number of his solo albums, including the more recent Retro and Retro 2 (which I like a lot).

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2015 at 13:23

Cooee! Having a mellotron/novatron is not necessary as a requirement to be prog, too many factors are at play here Wink ok now this band at the time with David Byron and Ken Hensley on Hammond organ was prog and they were so good Big smile uriah heep - july morning 1972 live - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzRrGNygjzs&list=PLMyHPEAFkfwMnzu3X4ADg_4lK7g75AIDM&index=3

WinkThumbs Up
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2015 at 13:29
^Good posts, guys (and gal). I was referring to early in Wakeman's career, especially his Strawbs' era, but I'm just splitting hairs. I have to get back to work now, so cheers to all!

Edited by SteveG - March 30 2015 at 13:29
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2015 at 14:15

^Good posts, guys (and gal). I was referring to early in Wakeman's career, especially his Strawbs' era, but I'm just splitting hairs. I have to get back to work now, so cheers to all!

Sorry, I overlooked that. AFAIK, Rick didn't actually have a 'Tron till he joined Yes.
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2015 at 14:21
I think Wakeman is the coolest musician who did whatever he wanted, when he felt like it he left YES to do other projects and bugger about, just the same when he decided to come back, he was most welcome back too  Big smile Hug
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>