Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat makes a good Prog song?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2015 at 15:04
Wakey's one of the best things to happen to prog rock in general. He has many detractors, e.g. "Emerson is better," "Moraz was better," "I don't like his capes," etc., but they can't change that. Wink
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2015 at 15:12
Originally posted by Guy Guden Guy Guden wrote:

No matter how good the song is, Steven Wilson will re-master it. Smile

Actually, he won't.... he'll remix, but he won't master. Check out the interview he did with DPRP in 2013:

Originally posted by DPRP interview with SW DPRP interview with SW wrote:

In doing these remasters…

Re-mixes, I don’t do re-masters…

Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2015 at 15:14
Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

In no particular order:

Virtuosity.  I like to hear great musician play well.  This even goes back before I truly discovered Prog when Ritchie Blackmore was like a god to me.

Complex structures.  Changes in tempo, key, time-signature, tone, chords, and instrumentation always catch my attention.

Intelligent lyrics.  Words that convey meaning and insight, preferably with a good melody.

Listenability.  While I appreciate chaos and dissonance, too much of it becomes a distraction.  If I cannot distinguish the music from random sounds, I don't care much for it.

Cohesion.  A piece of music, whether a vocal song or instrumental, must come as a whole.  This is especially challenging with multi-part epics.  All the elements must hold together and serve one another.  This also applies to albums as a whole and not just individual tracks.  There is an art to pacing.

Ying YangYing YangYing YangYing YangYing Yang

Almost my list. I'd replace 'Complex structures' with 'Unusual structures', regardless of complexity. But that's just looking at it from the perspective that what may sound complex to a listener is not always complex to achieve as a musician and vice versa. 
Guy Guden View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2015 at 16:49
Originally posted by Angelo Angelo wrote:

[
Actually, he won't.... he'll remix, but he won't master. Check out the interview he did with DPRP in 2013:

Re-mixes, I don’t do re-masters…

[/QUOTE]

I stand corrected.  Thank you.  It makes the joke better.

No matter how good the song is, Steven Wilson will re-mix it. Smile
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2015 at 16:57
Hahaha, it gets worse - he didn't even master Hand.Cannot.Erase Just check the liner notes ;-)

Goodnight!

ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2015 at 17:10
Yodeling and great guitar tunes, make it most interesting too.
Focus - Hocus Pocus (Live Video)   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fEkYxRCl_c

Wishbone Ash - Vas Dis [1971] (no flute unfortunately) Wishbone Ash - Vas Dis [1971] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia73dAETiGk

ApproveHug
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2015 at 17:14
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Wakey's one of the best things to happen to prog rock in general. He has many detractors, e.g. "Emerson is better," "Moraz was better," "I don't like his capes," etc., but they can't change that. Wink
Aww I love Wakeman's many capes, made one myself it came out really bad thus had another one made for me Big smile and no it's not a superman cape grrrrrr no idea why people said this bah. Confused
hugs Hug
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2015 at 01:22
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

I think Wakeman is the coolest musician who did whatever he wanted, when he felt like it he left YES to do other projects and bugger about, just the same when he decided to come back, he was most welcome back too  Big smile Hug

Indeed no argument from me on that

When I saw Rick live last year ( or the year before , time flies) he talked about his early career and he said one of the best pieces of advice he got was from David Bowie who basically told him that whatever he does make sure he does it the way he wants not the way some record company wants it. I think we can safely say that Wakey took his advice!
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2015 at 08:32

guitars, guitar tunes! Hug

LOL
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2015 at 08:36
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

We all agree about this important component. Anything else?

I love these things..but after they were transported and I used them on stage, they went out of tune. Darn mellotrons..you'd think they would stay in tune.Wink
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2015 at 08:38

Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Aww I love Wakeman's many capes, made one myself it came out really bad thus had another one made for me Big smile and no it's not a superman cape grrrrrr no idea why people said this bah. Confused
hugs Hug

I used to wear one in the gardenConfused
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2015 at 08:39
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I think Wakeman is the coolest musician who did whatever he wanted, when he felt like it he left YES to do other projects and bugger about, just the same when he decided to come back, he was most welcome back too  Big smile Hug

Indeed no argument from me on that

When I saw Rick live last year ( or the year before , time flies) he talked about his early career and he said one of the best pieces of advice he got was from David Bowie who basically told him that whatever he does make sure he does it the way he wants not the way some record company wants it. I think we can safely say that Wakey took his advice!

Interesting! Didn't a lot of keyboard players follow his idea of stacking keyboards?
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2015 at 10:46
^Definitely. Rick's the OS, "original stacker." After he programmed an original patch that he didn't want to lose, he secured the knobs and sliders with tape and went and bought another model of the same synth.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2015 at 10:52

hugs Hug

Okay, we need to see a pic. WinkBig smile
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2015 at 10:57
I like something melodic , but not too sugary and overly pretentious. I think that makes a very good Prog song as long as we have the right vocalist, which,,my whole problem with Prog has always been with the choice of vocalists, the style, and what they are choosing to sing. Greg Lake was singing the most pretentious lyrics on I.T.C.O.T.C.K. and making them sound out with soul and total dynamic feeling. After hearing him sing , it was difficult for me to accept anyone else and for a very long time ..because most Prog singers didn't project like Greg Lake. Maybe because he was a skilled songwriter and understood how to give the tone of the lyrics feeling. Peter Gabriel had a soulful voice , accomplished the same, but  Greg Lake had a much wider range in pitches of notes and sustaining them at longer lengths.

"Merlin" by Kayak is a Progressive Rock song that is very dynamic and contains what I'm looking for in a vocalist and the ultimate instrumentation. Not the re-recorded version released in 2001? That's too overdone for me. Way over the top with it's presentation and the vocals did not impress me in the least. The original version of "Merlin" recorded in 1975 was beautiful. I don't like guitar players taking improvisation type solos in a Prog song unless it is worked out a bit like Steve Howe and Steve Hackett often do. Too many keyboards rattle my chain, but just the right dosage hits the spot. Some Prog bands have yet to get the perfect flow. Florian Fricke , naturally had a perfect flow for the music. Maybe because he walked through mountains exposing himself to a different environment.

"Everdance" by Curved Air has the most perfect flowing groove and you can actually feel the violin solos and they don't give the impression that someone is showboating you to death with riffs. When the song starts, it feels like the musicians broke free from straight jackets and they continue with that level of relentless energy backing the beautiful female vocals with a dark chord sequence.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234