Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Anders Nilsson's Aorta (Avant / Jazz Rock Fusion)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAnders Nilsson's Aorta (Avant / Jazz Rock Fusion)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anders Nilsson's Aorta (Avant / Jazz Rock Fusion)
    Posted: March 28 2015 at 08:50
This band was the creation of US-based Swedish guitarist Anders Nilsson together with brother Peter Nilsson (drums), Mattias Carlson (sax) and David Carlsson (bass guitar). They put out two studio albums, Blood (2004) and Janus (2006) on Kopasetic Productions, an obscure but legit Swedish jazz label (http://www.kopasetic.se/en/recordings).  The music is a fairly intense combination of 'out' rock and jazz with some hair-raising improvisation and plentiful proggy and bluesy moments.
Sample tracks here:

There is a more detailed band bio on Nilsson's web site here: http://www.andersnilssonguitar.com/bandsprojects/anders-nilssons-aorta/

Seems like an obvious fit for jazz rock/fusion to me.

NB A subsequent album by an expanded group, the Aorta Ensemble, has more free jazz and less rock, but might also be worth consideration.

Edited by Mascodagama - April 04 2015 at 04:37
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2015 at 04:36
Fierce, gnarly avant-jazz rock anyone?  I'm taking the liberty of bumping this with an additional track:

and also a review that is definitely on point:

Originally posted by One Final Note One Final Note wrote:

Ready for music that harkens back to the earliest days of fusion, absent all of the flash and mindless riffing?  Well, look no further than Swedish guitarist Anders Nilsson’s quartet, Aorta.  The reference to the linchpin of the circulatory system suggests a weighty subject—the chief conduit between the heart and the body.  This imagery is vital when considering the potent results heard here.  The music is at times gloriously noisy, head-banging jazz, with moody, tension-filled atmospheres interspersed to heighten its passion and gravity.  As a point of reference, early-70s Miles, Tony Williams’ Lifetime, and Mahavishnu provide the bedrock, though there is more than meets the eye for this inventive date...

Edited by Mascodagama - April 04 2015 at 04:39
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2015 at 12:27
Hi there Simon

Sorry for the late response to your thread but I gather most people are out celebrating Jesus' death b ystuffing their faces with alcohol and chocolates shaped like hares and chickens.

Anyway, I'm forwarding this to the jazzy catsThumbs Up (and making a note of this band, because I genuinely dug what I heard. Thanks man.)
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Sheavy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2015 at 13:55
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

chocolates shaped like hares and chickens.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1wfamPW3Eaw
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2015 at 08:54
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Hi there Simon

Sorry for the late response to your thread but I gather most people are out celebrating Jesus' death b ystuffing their faces with alcohol and chocolates shaped like hares and chickens.

Anyway, I'm forwarding this to the jazzy catsThumbs Up (and making a note of this band, because I genuinely dug what I heard. Thanks man.)
I have followed the custom of these strange natives by ingesting a chocolate bunny Embarrassed

Glad you liked the band. If the jazzmen  / jazzladies decide it should be added I can volunteer to write the bio, add the albums or whatever.
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2015 at 14:40
I'm gonna give this a final bump as I still think these guys merit inclusion here...but if it's not to be, it's not to be...
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2015 at 14:48
Sorry we didn't report back in the thread but they were rejected in May.
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2015 at 14:57
Originally posted by historian9 historian9 wrote:

Sorry we didn't report back in the thread but they were rejected in May.

Fair enough.
 Post Reply Post Reply