Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedJohn Lennon right or wrong?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: John Lennon right or wrong?
    Posted: March 30 2015 at 11:35
This topic was recently brought up again in America, so I am asking your thoughts on this...
Was it 'cool or uncool'  when John included Yoko into the Beatles band meetings, song-writing, recording and rehearsals?

I for one, think Lennon was uncool to do this. John was very insecure and Yoko gave him comfort, love and security. I get that. But to bring her into the mix and start pushing her opinions into his; just turned the kettle up to boil. How long was Paul expected to go along with this? 

Deafmoon
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2015 at 11:43
Like wow, man! This question still is still relevant!

Aside from being a strange bird, JL was almost constantly stoned on LSD for a straight year in 1967 and was adored by millions of fans worldwide and incredibly rich to boot.

I don't believe his judgment was of the ordinary man and needs to be seen from a different perspective.

Edited by SteveG - March 30 2015 at 11:43
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2015 at 11:53
Wrong. If one member of any band wants to change the dynamic of the existing band they need to discuss it with the other members. If the band says no then the requesting member should move on to a situation more in line of what they want. That being said, the rest of the band should be free to tell the requesting member that his intrusion into their dynamic is going to create a problem.

The big issue of course is once the existing band makes a change to their dynamic they run the risk of losing what was unique about them and therefore diminish the popularity or output of the band.

I have no doubt that Yoko was instrumental in supporting John's creative endeavours and some of his solo stuff show that. I was never a fan of Yoko's stuff but I do think she was, in some manner, good for John.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2015 at 11:57
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Like wow, man! This question still is still relevant!

Aside from being a strange bird, JL was almost constantly stoned on LSD for a straight year in 1967 and was adored by millions of fans worldwide and incredibly rich to boot.

I don't believe his judgment was of the ordinary man and needs to be seen from a different perspective.

Well, if you have to hide in hotel rooms for several years just so insane fans don't pull your hair out as a relic, it tends to change your point of view.

John was miserable without Yoko and very happy with her. The most satisfying time of his life was when he lived in semi-retirement in New York with Yoko and their son. I don't have any problem with his choices, because they were his choices, not mine.

Put it another way, how much longer do you think John could stand listening to any more of Paul's "granny music"? Their styles had diverged drastically at the point that The Beatles broke up. 
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2015 at 12:06
^Lennon got the fame, fortune and adoration he craved and subsequently could not handle.

But as I stated, he was not anymore a mere mortal than Elvis was, and it's silly to hold him to conventional thought.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2015 at 12:24
Wrong without the agreement of the rest of the band. One guy in my band brought his Uncle along to our last gig and gave him a mike to sing backing vocals without asking the rest of us. Out of order really.
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2015 at 12:54
Originally posted by deafmoon deafmoon wrote:

This topic was recently brought up again in America, so I am asking your thoughts on this...
Was it 'cool or uncool'  when John included Yoko into the Beatles band meetings, song-writing, recording and rehearsals?

I for one, think Lennon was uncool to do this. John was very insecure and Yoko gave him comfort, love and security. I get that. But to bring her into the mix and start pushing her opinions into his; just turned the kettle up to boil. How long was Paul expected to go along with this? 

I think The Beatles were done by the time Yoko came into play. They became too scary big, also live performances the band did not enjoy to perform as they could not even hear what they were playing due to all the shouting of the audience. Paul always wanted to keep the band together, Lennon and the rest of the band were no longer interested but one cannot blame Yoko either because Lennon was his own person.  
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2015 at 14:51
As far as the original "cool or uncool" question goes, it was very uncool of John to bring Yoko into
the inner circle of the band. 
I have seen pictures of the boys in the studio sitting in a circle with acoustic guitars and obviously 
working out songs. Yoko is in a chair next to John and is leaning forward talking to the band. 
But I don't think it was John as much as it was Yoko herself that put her into the situation. 
John always had "mother issues" and Yoko was an older woman that was somewhat controlling.
I think it was easy for her to put herself in the picture and justify it by claiming to be "sticking up" 
for John.
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2015 at 15:00
Originally posted by TeleStrat TeleStrat wrote:

As far as the original "cool or uncool" question goes, it was very uncool of John to bring Yoko into
the inner circle of the band. 
I have seen pictures of the boys in the studio sitting in a circle with acoustic guitars and obviously 
working out songs. Yoko is in a chair next to John and is leaning forward talking to the band. 
But I don't think it was John as much as it was Yoko herself that put her into the situation. 
John always had "mother issues" and Yoko was an older woman that was somewhat controlling.
I think it was easy for her to put herself in the picture and justify it by claiming to be "sticking up" 
for John.
It's John's fault, not Yoko even if I really wish they did not take naked pictures of both. Front and back both awful wish I had not seen those ugh bah.
Bottom line, John Lennon has always been a leader and no one could ever dictate him or influence him to do what HE WOULD NOT WANT TO DO. Big smile HUG Hug
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2015 at 15:33
Hi Kati
Yes, it was John's fault which is what I said at the beginning of my post.
I emphasized it by saying "very" uncool. Smile
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2015 at 15:36

Hi Kati
Yes read that indeed Smile very uncool, big hug to you, TeleStrat Hug
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2015 at 15:36
When you take that much LSD it's really no one's fault but your own for taking that acid. LSD opens up neural passageways and it allows for your mind to be rewritten. It very easily could have just been John taking a bunch and then Yoko manipulating him and rewiring him to make him think that he needed her.

Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2015 at 15:47
Originally posted by Smurph Smurph wrote:

When you take that much LSD it's really no one's fault but your own for taking that acid. LSD opens up neural passageways and it allows for your mind to be rewritten. It very easily could have just been John taking a bunch and then Yoko manipulating him and rewiring him to make him think that he needed her.

Smurph!!!!! I am so happy to hear from you again!!! Hug At the time I have no idea what they were on although LOL  prior to this when the Beatles band was whole, the moms thought Paul is the good boy and Lennon the bad boy but this was quite the opposite Wink appearance's do deceive although Paul has always been sweet natured. More Hug  
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2015 at 16:15
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

Hi Kati
Yes read that indeed Smile very uncool, big hug to you, TeleStrat Hug
Thank you, old guys like me always appreciate a big hug.
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2015 at 10:59

A band is a team. "We Are Team!" (lol) ..Say for example you form a band with a friend, other members join, and the unit becomes family over a period of 5 years, traveling the road, writing together, in and out of the studio, etc...and now suddenly this person has appeared in the studio and is the wife/girlfriend of the most important vital member of the group. I question how the other 3 Beatles felt and if they thought about approaching John on their issues, (if any?), as Yoko began to voice her opinions. Maybe the other 3 members felt that she was not part of their team or the devotion and hard work put into writing with John Lennon for years that she..surely did no justice to , realistically, musically, or even socially. She was an Avant-Garde artist and her viewpoints could have derived from a free spirited point of view, while The Beatles had to a large degree..fixed grooves . People who sit in the studio and say nothing distract musicians and people who constantly voice their opinions in the studio are obviously not leaving the composition to the composer.

Did you ever consider how many times David Gilmour, Roger Waters, and Nick Mason have been "put on the spot" and hounded with just LOADS of questions about Syd Barrett? Interviews, fans..A to Z and years before the release of Dark Side Of The Moon. With those kind of pressures from the outside world, I assume that Pink Floyd would want the studio for themselves only. As a rule , bringing someone into the studio does not work or play well with others due to the nature of the business. Ultimately musicians will feel uncomfortable knowing that this person is observing them creating art. Art is very private and is the reason why creative musicians treat newcomers like outlanders. Some male musicians in the past have brought their girlfriends to studio rehearsals with intentions of spending more time with them than required and because they are in "La, La Land" and feel they are a vital key member of the band, it will be accepted with open arms by everyone IN the band. There are several reactions to think of. One in particular is the feeling that your best friend is slinging something foul into your face. Some foul situation of dictatorship channeled through the stranger or outlander in the studio. You can also easily react to the ignorance being displayed here ..which indicates that your friend , (possibly unknowingly), is taking advantage of you and the other members by assuming that you will all suck it up. 

Edited by TODDLER - March 31 2015 at 11:03
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2015 at 11:06
I recall how David's girlfriend Jeanine nearly ended Spinal Tap. That was almost a tragedy.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2015 at 11:11
Yoko is da bomb! If only she'd been part of 'Rubber Soul'!!!
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2015 at 11:13

I like the argument between Jeanine and the manager. "Well, I'm not going to manage the band with her just because she's your girlfriend"

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2015 at 13:30
Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

I like the argument between Jeanine and the manager. "Well, I'm not going to manage the band with her just because she's your girlfriend"

I like the coordinated outfits she designed while listening to the band played in "Dubly". LOL
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2015 at 10:45
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

John was miserable without Yoko and very happy with her. The most satisfying time of his life was when he lived in semi-retirement in New York with Yoko and their son. I don't have any problem with his choices, because they were his choices, not mine.

Put it another way, how much longer do you think John could stand listening to any more of Paul's "granny music"? Their styles had diverged drastically at the point that The Beatles broke up. 

Thank you ... I find it sad when people criticize the one you love. Like saying they don't know what that is. but I really think, in some ways, that Yoko was able to "ground" him and make him understand what music could do, that the Beatles had lost to a song or two.

And I agree with granny music, after "Band on the Run".
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>