Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSome observations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
RoeDent View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Some observations
    Posted: March 30 2015 at 17:02
I was just listening to a radio interview with Andy Tillison, of The Tangent, and he made some very interesting points about how the big prog bands of the 70s don't support the current generation of bands that they inspired.

"Their legacy isn't some digital re-release of their 1973 greatest album, their legacy is us. The Tangent, The Flower Kings and Big Big Train are what Genesis left behind."

It's these bands that are keeping the best Music (with a capital M) alive, and a new generation is starting to come through now, such as Haken and Synesthaesia, that will still be making music in 30 years' time.

What do you think? Could the "stars" of 70s prog do more, or be more vocal, in supporting the future of the genre they laid the foundations for?
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2015 at 17:12
In my view, it is not up to the Seventies bands to support the current generation of prog artists, but to the fans. Unfortunately, many proggers seem to be stuck in a time warp (as we have seen all too often on this board), which can be very discouraging for those who are trying to attract the listeners' attention. 
The Sloth View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2015 at 17:17
I don't think the guys in the 70's were concerned with their legacy, a community, planting the seeds for something great to come...You could do whatever you wanted musically for a few years after The Beatles broke up, and they took that opportunity. Most of them bent right back into shape by the end of the decade. 
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2015 at 17:48
Dream Theater has helped many bands, especially while Portnoy  was in the band, among others, Steven Wilson (before he became known) and Big Elf just to name a few. SmileHug 
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2015 at 18:17
Actually they should support the bands that came after them. King Crimson should tour with more weird unheard of bands. Steve Hackett... pretty much all of them that are still playing now should let unknown bands tour with them.

Because I don't care how much I love a band, I don't wanna see a 3 hour performance. Show me 2 hours with the band I came to see and then an obscure band that they love open for them for a half hour. I would prefer that any day.

In fact, Marillion had Cardiacs open for them back in the day and people booed and stuff. Well... I want more of that. Mars Volta toured with Hella and people booed Hella. Tool toured with Melt-Banana and people booed Melt-Banana.

I really can't respect a band that's SO huge that won't bring an opening band that will draw boos. We need more amazing opening acts for these big touring giants. Sky Architect opening for Rush. Koenjihyakkei opening for King Crimson. Knifeworld opening for Kansas. Help the little guys. Guapo opening for Steven Wilson. I see no reason not to. That's pretty much one of the bigger reasons that I can't respect these "giants" of the industry.

Use your success to create more success. I would never go to a single band tour unless they are obscure and can't use their fame to help others.
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2015 at 18:41
I view it as a musician's duty to keep up with new music (even outside their genre). Both new and old musicians benefit from this. What you find otherwise are old musicians creating stuff that seems irrelevant to the newer generation and newer musicians staying obscure. I don't advocate them incorporating new elements that they don't like for the sake of it but giving their tastes a chance to evolve in some way, subconsciously incorporating elements of new music that they like. Which artists they support depends on which artists they like. I would probably not hire The Flower Kings or Big Big Train nor do I think they are the best or most cutting edge bands of today. But I am not in Genesis nor do I particularly like Genesis all that much. It's up to them. Perhaps their lack of support for prog bands stems from a lack of appreciation of their music. But if it stems from just a lack of knowledge about what's going on musically these days? They've got to do better.

Edited by Polymorphia - March 30 2015 at 18:43
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2015 at 20:23
Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

I view it as a musician's duty to keep up with new music (even outside their genre). Both new and old musicians benefit from this. What you find otherwise are old musicians creating stuff that seems irrelevant to the newer generation and newer musicians staying obscure. I don't advocate them incorporating new elements that they don't like for the sake of it but giving their tastes a chance to evolve in some way, subconsciously incorporating elements of new music that they like. Which artists they support depends on which artists they like.

Yet when they do, they are often heavily criticized for it.  The latest by Yes is a prime example.

When I was going to a lot of concerts in eons past, opening bands were often label mates for better known headliners.  Or the local promoter was putting the acts together which could create some terrible lineups.  I saw John Mellencamp perform between Randy Hansen's tribute impersonation of Jimi Hendrix and Rainbow.  He had no business being there, it was not his audience.  He got booed off stage before even finishing his opening song.  From a business point of view, it is much easier for an established artist to tour alone.  It is also less expensive.  This is another characteristic of the contemporary music scene.

I, too, would like to see more opening bands on those rare occasions when I venture to a show.  But when artists like Rush or Hackett go on tour, they have a huge repertoire and they seem to genuinely want to give their fans as much as they can.  And Yes has to allot ten minutes for each song they play.  That adds up fast.  What I really want to see is more of the new music on stage from the elders than the old stuff over and over again.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
The Sloth View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2015 at 20:49
I never want an opening band. Ideally, the band you're seeing is making an attempt at be its own "world," and I don't like worlds colliding. This is why multi-band rock fests don't do it for me. Everyone trying to make their claim as owners of the space, one after another, all day long. A bluegrass or jazz festival is a lot easier to swallow, where the presentation of the music relies more on a common tradition/point of view among artists.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2015 at 22:35
Originally posted by RoeDent RoeDent wrote:

I was just listening to a radio interview with Andy Tillison, of The Tangent, and he made some very interesting points about how the big prog bands of the 70s don't support the current generation of bands that they inspired.

"Their legacy isn't some digital re-release of their 1973 greatest album, their legacy is us. The Tangent, The Flower Kings and Big Big Train are what Genesis left behind."

It's these bands that are keeping the best Music (with a capital M) alive, and a new generation is starting to come through now, such as Haken and Synesthaesia, that will still be making music in 30 years' time.

What do you think? Could the "stars" of 70s prog do more, or be more vocal, in supporting the future of the genre they laid the foundations for?

Of course they can. For example, the 70s bigs such as Phil Collins or Peter Gabriel could easily set up a foundation to help young Prog talents, as a charity. 

However, the basic problem lies in the fact that the Prog Rock is still considered as just a part of entertainment called rock'n'roll, as a part of show business in which the rules are set long ago, and those rules are strictly and not inclined to help those virtually unknown newcomers "only" because they are  talented young musicians with artistic and proggy but uncommercial ideas; on contrary.

We all know that long ago that our beloved genre already become Art. Now prog artists are perform at jazz festivals; jazz has long been defined as a genre of art music, but progressive rock is still not officially (whatever that means) declared as an Art. Simply put, the progressive rock is yet not strictly separated from "the great rock and roll party".

Until that happens, it will stay to be practically impossible to reach a serious support for young prog talents. For example, covering the studios' costs for talented young prog bands and solo artists, also for CDs and vinyl LPs printing and for a promotional stuff and costs of gigs but also gala events such as some new prog festivals, that should be financed, in order to popularize the art music such as prog-rock among the kids, from the budgets of cities or states; thus unprofitable, but with a huge importance for the culture of that community.

One can say that this is a pointless moaning, but one should take a peek at the figures which clearly show how much money those so-called "conceptual art" projects received from various funds and NGO sector every year.

Edited by Svetonio - March 30 2015 at 23:04
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2015 at 22:49
Originally posted by Smurph Smurph wrote:

Actually they should support the bands that came after them. King Crimson should tour with more weird unheard of bands. Steve Hackett... pretty much all of them that are still playing now should let unknown bands tour with them.

Because I don't care how much I love a band, I don't wanna see a 3 hour performance. Show me 2 hours with the band I came to see and then an obscure band that they love open for them for a half hour. I would prefer that any day.

In fact, Marillion had Cardiacs open for them back in the day and people booed and stuff. Well... I want more of that. Mars Volta toured with Hella and people booed Hella. Tool toured with Melt-Banana and people booed Melt-Banana.

I really can't respect a band that's SO huge that won't bring an opening band that will draw boos. We need more amazing opening acts for these big touring giants. Sky Architect opening for Rush. Koenjihyakkei opening for King Crimson. Knifeworld opening for Kansas. Help the little guys. Guapo opening for Steven Wilson. I see no reason not to. That's pretty much one of the bigger reasons that I can't respect these "giants" of the industry.

Use your success to create more success. I would never go to a single band tour unless they are obscure and can't use their fame to help others.
Please explain to me how being booed off the stage is a good thing? What you say makes little sense to me. I've never booed anyone off stage, personally, but I have seen it happen, and it ain't pretty. And it usually does occur because the bands are so disparate in sound and philosophy that it detracts from the concert as a whole.

And as far as even seeing a back-up band, it usually is of no interest to me. If I've come to see Pink Floyd play for three hours (and I have), I couldn't care less what came before. However, I've seen some absolutely great concerts where the headliner and back-up were paired excellently. I can recall a Jethro Tull concert when they were backed  up by Fairport Convention -- marvelous. Or Stevie Ray Vaughan and B.B. King -- good lord, I thought I died and went to heaven when they both came out for the encore. It all depends.

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2015 at 01:16
Who helped the seventies bands? No one really . However ELP signed up PFM and toured with them. Tull toured with Gentle Giant and I'm sure there are other examples. Basically they did enough at the time imo.
Then you have the second generation of prog bands. IQ created their own record company in the 90's and signed Spocks Beard and Threshold. Is that not enough? They are still helping young artists including one of those named in the OP.

Basically a lot of modern prog is 'money for old rope' anyway.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2015 at 01:36
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

Of course they can. For example, the 70s bigs such as Phil Collins or Peter Gabriel could easily set up a foundation to help young Prog talents, as a charity. 

However, the basic problem lies in the fact that the Prog Rock is still considered as just a part of entertainment called rock'n'roll, as a part of show business in which the rules are set long ago, and those rules are strictly and not inclined to help those virtually unknown newcomers "only" because they are  talented young musicians with artistic and proggy but uncommercial ideas; on contrary.

We all know that long ago that our beloved genre already become Art. Now prog artists are perform at jazz festivals; jazz has long been defined as a genre of art music, but progressive rock is still not officially (whatever that means) declared as an Art. Simply put, the progressive rock is yet not strictly separated from "the great rock and roll party".

Until that happens, it will stay to be practically impossible to reach a serious support for young prog talents. For example, covering the studios' costs for talented young prog bands and solo artists, also for CDs and vinyl LPs printing and for a promotional stuff and costs of gigs but also gala events such as some new prog festivals, that should be financed, in order to popularize the art music such as prog-rock among the kids, from the budgets of cities or states; thus unprofitable, but with a huge importance for the culture of that community.

One can say that this is a pointless moaning, but one should take a peek at the figures which clearly show how much money those so-called "conceptual art" projects received from various funds and NGO sector every year.
Erm. 

Gabriel has WOMAD and World Records. Collins has the Little Dreams Foundation. Wanna pick two different Prog Stars?

All music is commercial, including Classical, Folk and Jazz.

Not all Jazz is considered to be Art Music. Prog is Rock and Roll, it is not Art Music and never will be. You cannot separate Prog Rock from Rock.

State funded Prog - who the hell would want that? 

Art's grants may seem like a lot of money but they are thinly spread.

Here's an idea - let's get Bandcamp, Soundcloud, Spotify, YouTube, etc., to actually pay for the production of the music they "support".
What?
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2015 at 05:56
All an artist owes us is to produce his art with his heart and hope he finds an audience. The idea of supporting the genre is nonsense, that's the fans job. Now if a band has a particular connection with another band and wants to help get them awareness that's wonderful. But do they need to do it out of some sort of responsibility, no.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2015 at 07:41
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

All an artist owes us is to produce his art with his heart and hope he finds an audience. The idea of supporting the genre is nonsense, that's the fans job. Now if a band has a particular connection with another band and wants to help get them awareness that's wonderful. But do they need to do it out of some sort of responsibility, no.

This !
Fripp Gabriel Eno and others, have done a lot in support of music, not allways prog, but that just shows that stickers are a fan/media thing, not important for the artist, they tend to want to move on to explore new stuf.
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2015 at 08:46
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

Of course they can. For example, the 70s bigs such as Phil Collins or Peter Gabriel could easily set up a foundation to help young Prog talents, as a charity. 

However, the basic problem lies in the fact that the Prog Rock is still considered as just a part of entertainment called rock'n'roll, as a part of show business in which the rules are set long ago, and those rules are strictly and not inclined to help those virtually unknown newcomers "only" because they are  talented young musicians with artistic and proggy but uncommercial ideas; on contrary.

We all know that long ago that our beloved genre already become Art. Now prog artists are perform at jazz festivals; jazz has long been defined as a genre of art music, but progressive rock is still not officially (whatever that means) declared as an Art. Simply put, the progressive rock is yet not strictly separated from "the great rock and roll party".

Until that happens, it will stay to be practically impossible to reach a serious support for young prog talents. For example, covering the studios' costs for talented young prog bands and solo artists, also for CDs and vinyl LPs printing and for a promotional stuff and costs of gigs but also gala events such as some new prog festivals, that should be financed, in order to popularize the art music such as prog-rock among the kids, from the budgets of cities or states; thus unprofitable, but with a huge importance for the culture of that community.

One can say that this is a pointless moaning, but one should take a peek at the figures which clearly show how much money those so-called "conceptual art" projects received from various funds and NGO sector every year.

State funded Prog - who the hell would want that? 

Svetonio would. He's a Trot, and in their peculiar little world, everything should be state funded and owned.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2015 at 09:30
Several Progressive Rock musicians/innovators of the 70's have attitudes about what they've created in the past and I think it might be important to consider why that happens. If you've progressed beyond "Thick as a Brick" and it sometimes annoys you , it's more than likely and totally out of boredom. Boredom of yourself and the artist you became that you didn't want to be. In the end, you felt that the real you and the communication of music you offered to everyone was only half of the audience or even less. You're pegged as an artist that wrote 3 or 4 amazing concept albums and you are faced with living up to those expectations which please the majority of your crowd. The bulk of your crowd is your personal "in crowd" and they attended your show to hear what you would personally like to leave behind so you can continue as an honest artist, without foolish pressures leading into moronic decisions on your own behalf to continue as the artist you used to be. In the present, "Neo Prog" bands are continuing to carry the torch for your innovative music and you might fine that lacks in glory because you are under pressure to reproduce it yourself. Disapprove

This is not a sincere way of making art. An artist CAN be very sincere , create interesting music, and many people in the world will say..."Oh, he/she is not like they used to be"...or "I was expecting a bit of the same dosage found in previous works". Those people just have to walk away because the act of pressuring art and asking for the same thing every time....is forcing something to re-occur and is far from a natural process to create art which WILL mostly likely be something different each time you create. So this is not natural to begin with and then people wonder why the artist is not creating something worthwhile , instead of realizing that the artist is still just as good, but placing their energy into a new project , so they can breath and move on. In the case of Univers Zero disappearing for a few years and then returning with "The Hard Quest", the reaction was harsh and directly tied in with how important "Heatwave" was to everybody and how "The Hard Quest" was a lame attempt at resurfacing as a band. This is how a majority of people feel and if you don't believe me, you gotta get out more, but seriously .."The Hard Quest" is a different style of composition. It's more flowing and less sporadic than their other albums, but because it was released a few years after "Heatwave" it earns the medal for harsh comments which all revolve around the concept that the band are being dismissive of what they did before. This is what an audience can do to you. Ermm

Edited by TODDLER - March 31 2015 at 09:31
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2015 at 12:30
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Please explain to me how being booed off the stage is a good thing? What you say makes little sense to me. I've never booed anyone off stage, personally, but I have seen it happen, and it ain't pretty. And it usually does occur because the bands are so disparate in sound and philosophy that it detracts from the concert as a whole.

And as far as even seeing a back-up band, it usually is of no interest to me. If I've come to see Pink Floyd play for three hours (and I have), I couldn't care less what came before. However, I've seen some absolutely great concerts where the headliner and back-up were paired excellently. I can recall a Jethro Tull concert when they were backed  up by Fairport Convention -- marvelous. Or Stevie Ray Vaughan and B.B. King -- good lord, I thought I died and went to heaven when they both came out for the encore. It all depends.

Because people should be exposed to stuff they don't like. Because rock music has no controversy or balls anymore. Because variety is awesome. I love it when audiences get super angry at music that is amazing to me. It makes me feel so positive. Big bands should bring smaller bands on tour with them that they adore- without ANY consideration of the audience. Because for every 10 people in the audience that was booing Cardiacs, I would dare to say that one person LOVED them.

Music should illicit response. I don't understand anyone that would wanna go to a concert just to see a band. I want an experience. I want emotion. I want to be surprised.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2015 at 12:54
Don't know about booing but I applaud the gist of your post Greg
I certainly am with you in regards to experiencing new things, new sounds - even if they don't reach every member of the crowd.
Often when I attend parties or get-togethers, where most of the people there come from a top 40 radio kind of music enlightenment - I tend to throw them a curveball when the stereo is unsupervised. I may get frustration, even fearful looks but in the end it's the odd instance where I genuinely connect with one of them that stays with me for the longest (that and maybe some of the more funny outbursts from music nazis that hear hip hop/pop/vanilla rock as the only REAL form of music. Oh yes they're out there!!).

Edited by Guldbamsen - March 31 2015 at 12:55
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2015 at 13:17
Originally posted by Smurph Smurph wrote:

Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Because people should be exposed to stuff they don't like. Because rock music has no controversy or balls anymore. Because variety is awesome. I love it when audiences get super angry at music that is amazing to me. It makes me feel so positive. Big bands should bring smaller bands on tour with them that they adore- without ANY consideration of the audience. Because for every 10 people in the audience that was booing Cardiacs, I would dare to say that one person LOVED them.

Music should illicit response. I don't understand anyone that would wanna go to a concert just to see a band. I want an experience. I want emotion. I want to be surprised.

I don't know how you spend your money, but when I pay $100 a ticket for a show, I don't say to my wife, "Dear, to hell with the band we just paid a couple hundred bucks to see; rather, let's only watch the no-name band play for a half-hour and then see them get booed off the stage. By leaving early we'll get to experience 'controversy', or perhaps what truly sucky music entails, and, as an added bonus, not get stuck in the parking lot or the freeway on the way home! Woot!"

For historical context, nearly 50 years ago there was a reason Jimi Hendrix left the tour that The Monkees were headlining. He was playing to the wrong crowd and he got tired quick of the young girls screaming "We want Davy! We want Davy!" There was no upside for Hendrix.

As far as not taking any consideration the audience, concerts are the major means bands big and small make their money. They certainly don't get paid by the download on iTunes. Not taking an audience in consideration is a mistake.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2015 at 14:07
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Who helped the seventies bands? No one really . However ELP signed up PFM and toured with them. Tull toured with Gentle Giant and I'm sure there are other examples. Basically they did enough at the time imo.
Then you have the second generation of prog bands. IQ created their own record company in the 90's and signed Spocks Beard and Threshold. Is that not enough? They are still helping young artists including one of those named in the OP.

Basically a lot of modern prog is 'money for old rope' anyway.

The seventies bands were helped out by an overall scene. They were helped by venues and audiences and willing promoters. No, it wasn't effortless, but there was a lot to feed off of. Prog went downhill in the 70s when it lost all it's underground support. I'm much in favor of the sports model; (a) cultivate a farm team so that you always have up and coming talent, (b) cultivate rivalries - it brings out more in you. Should the bands be responsible, I don't know, but if everyone sits on their hands, there won't be much movement.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>