Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Tech Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedOne Man Prog Rock Band?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: One Man Prog Rock Band?
    Posted: March 31 2015 at 09:57
What would you think if you saw a prog rock musician mostly influenced by the sounds from the 70s playing any sort of keyboards, organs, synths, pianos and singing live accompanied by recorded or synthesized bass and drums that can somewhat be modified live?
What if he didn't sound like the typical Michel Jarre electronic music, but more realistic rock?

Would it be weird, interesting, fun, would you like it? Would you enjoy the concert, assuming it was well played and interesting musically? Or would you feel deprived by the visual lack of other musicians on stage?
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2015 at 10:18
I would not pay to see that.
Daniele Spadavecchia View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2015 at 14:05
So, I assume you  would pay for a band instead?
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2015 at 14:49
You say "assuming it was well played and interesting musically" so, I would certainly be interested and hopefully would enjoy it!
Pat Metheny played alone on stage with his Orchestrion!

But if I am honest, the whole thing of one-man Prog "bands" which is getting so common recently is something I find a bit sad, the result of the difficulty for modern musicians to find other like-minded musicians and economically viable ways to record and tour with them. Perhaps better this than having no way of recording and touring at all, but it's still a bit sad. I prefer seeing a full band.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2015 at 14:51
It's not Prog, but I saw a concert from this guy and it was really nice:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QO73jW5SNCc

Edited by Meltdowner - March 31 2015 at 15:40
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2015 at 15:01
I would honestly rather pay to see the Jean Michel Jarre variant. 
What I love about rock, or prog, in a live setting is the energy that (hopefully) flows from each of the musicians - culminating in something unique and 'in the moment'. It's the freedom to break away from studio versions - the freedom to inject a little umph and a little zing to the music. 
Also when you're the only person up on stage, there's no room for other musicians to add their spice.

There's that and then the fact that I cannot stand programmed drums at a prog/rock gig.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2015 at 15:27
Looking back at the comments made in this thread I kinda feel bad for the OP. 

Let me tell you one thing though: imagine if any of your absolute favourite artists had decided to call it quits because someone told them that what they were trying to achieve with their music basically was fools gold.

The greatest music out there is the one that comes from a fire in your belly. Sure you can be influenced by the biggies from the 70s, but in the end if it doesn't come from your own belly, then forget about it. Ask Bob Dylan about that - or Edgar Froese for that matter...oh wait a minute.....Cry RIP. 

Having never heard your music before nor your qualifications for pursuing something sonically enriching, makes it all the more difficult to judge whether or not your endeavour would work (I assume you're talking about trying this live thing out yourself), but I wish you the best of luck if you decide to go for it. 
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2015 at 15:58

I saw this guy at Disneyland in Florida back in 1976. Not really prog, but in the vain you mentioned. Sort of a keyboard busker. Oh wait what about two guys?

http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=3576

Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2015 at 23:29
Thanks for the various responses and suggestions, I really appreciate your opinions. Interesting videos and music clips.

I am asking your opinion because I am artistically thorn.
As a guitarist, I have been on both sides - band and solo performing and each has its advantages and disadvantages. But with a jazz or classical guitar it is quite normal to play solo and it sounds good.

The music I am writing though is a concept album (prog make sense), but because it is a story about a possible future in which machines and robots are involved, also a machine and keyboard based music make sense. I also grew up listening to 70's prog and I do have a sort of veneration for that energetic, intelligent and experimental approach.

I love the electronic soloists like Jarre but as a musician I don't enjoy using 80's style sequencing and arpeggiation, as I prefer real arrangements like in classical music, prog rock, jazz where instruments are actually played. And this is what fires my belly, so the parts I am arranging could all be actually played by real people.

I agree with you about the difficulty in finding musicians interested in prog and experimentation. I live in New Orleans a city full of musicians, but the majority of them plays swing and brass band music which doesn't fit in my project. It is crazy if I think Sun Ra who was from here!
Once the final recording is done, I will have to make a decision on how to perform it.

Edited by Daniele Spadavecchia - March 31 2015 at 23:43
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2015 at 13:59
I am following a similar path doing a one man band thing with my guitar. No intention to perform, just record. I don't have any problem with going to see something like it live. Perhaps the first occasional one-man band guy was Adrian Belew, and there are YouTube clips of him doing live one-man performances. I would go to see him live, so why not someone else. The only concern I would throw your way is that guitars are more visual interesting instruments to watch. Keyboards can be interesting to watch, but only with the right camera angles, or with sufficient animated showmanship Keith Emerson style.
Lafayette Assburn View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2015 at 16:01
One-man bands are exclusive to Prog. Prog (and electronic) was made for them . They are legion. There is a multiverse of them.

One of the earliest (on bought vinyl) for me was Micheal Quatro Jam Band  with "Paintings" lp.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2015 at 17:16
Thanks guys, your suggestions are very interesting!

What a great and subtle guitarist Adrian Belew is!
"Painting" by Michael Quatro is absolutely the prog territory I grew up with and still love, was he doing it all alone? I could find any one man videos of him.

I agree on the fact that guitars are more interesting to watch than keyboards. If nothing because you can move around and transpose the music you are playing in your gestures and expressions.
Keytars allow freedom of movement but look a little cheesy!
I am trying to stay away from guitar as my hands will be already full with keys, plus I want to take advantage of the myriads of sounds that can be created with synths.

Your input is very valuable. Any other suggested great one-man-band prog artists to listen to?

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2015 at 14:45
Just read about this one-woman prog metal (band)......the clips are very nice.

I wonder though if she were to go on tour there would actually be a band playing behind her...I assume Mike Oldfield played Tubular Bells with a band on stage.....

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2015 at 15:03
I always considered Steven Wilson to be a one man prog band. Even when he was in PT. Tongue
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2015 at 12:17
I saw Robert Fripp at the University of Toronto many many years ago doing his "Frippertronics" tour. Part concert, part lecture. It was just him, his guitar, some effects pedals and a couple of reel to reel tape machines in loop mode. Basically playing by and with him self. Every now and then I pull out the tape I recorded (now transferred to CD) and relive the night. There was some cool stuff performed.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2015 at 14:13
Originally posted by Daniele Spadavecchia Daniele Spadavecchia wrote:

What would you think if you saw a prog rock musician mostly influenced by the sounds from the 70s playing any sort of keyboards, organs, synths, pianos and singing live accompanied by recorded or synthesized bass and drums that can somewhat be modified live?
What if he didn't sound like the typical Michel Jarre electronic music, but more realistic rock?

Would it be weird, interesting, fun, would you like it? Would you enjoy the concert, assuming it was well played and interesting musically? Or would you feel deprived by the visual lack of other musicians on stage?

Not sure to be interested by the 70's sound in 2015 - unless we're talking about a musician from this period going on the road all alone. Revivals tend to get on my nerves (including 80's synth-pop revival, 80's metal revival, 80's neo-prog revival, 90's grunge revival, 20's Dixieland revival, etc, etc...)

Also, if we're talking about a musician playing a leading instrument, I would prefer a guitarist accompanied by programmed keyboards rather than a keyboard player all alone, unless if said musician plays some ambient / cosmic music.
I already went to concerts of musician playing with recorded instruments: drummers like Charles Hayward or Yoshida Tatsuya, guitarists like Mike Cooper... And I should try to see Thierry Zaboitzeff (former bass player for Art Zoyd) live with his bass and his electronic installations.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2015 at 14:15
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Just read about this one-woman prog metal (band)......the clips are very nice.

I wonder though if she were to go on tour there would actually be a band playing behind her...I assume Mike Oldfield played Tubular Bells with a band on stage.....

Catcher10, I listened to OH and watched the videos.
She reminded me of Iron Maiden at some points in the first video, but instead of seeing mummies and rough guys there was a sinuous figure dancing... a nice variation and a show of female seduction powers vs muscles!
She also has a soothing voice that reminded me of Art of Noise.

Various artists like Prince, Howard Jones, Lenny Kravitz -to mention a few- recorded their debut albums by playing all the instruments, but on stage performed with bands. I guess in these cases it is a point in their favor.
 Post Reply Post Reply