Topic ClosedRoyal Philharmonic plays Prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Royal Philharmonic plays Prog
    Posted: April 01 2015 at 07:38
Ok, what's your opinion of this and orchestral versions of prog classics in general - should they be allowed, encouraged or banned?

In general I have normally found them a bit cringeworthy, and I wasn't that keen on the Yes attempt but this isn't too bad (although I had to skip through Nights in White Satin).

For those of you on Spotify, the whole album is available at spotify:user:1164766811:playlist:6ut11yaEayb6ZgcNM8Clpm or https://open.spotify.com/user/1164766811/playlist/6ut11yaEayb6ZgcNM8Clpm

Edited by chopper - April 01 2015 at 07:40
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2015 at 07:57
Well, I like to sound of Tarkus I hear in this. They seem to capture to energy of the original. That's one of the hit and miss issues with these types of releases. The arrangements and the performance. I'd very interested to hear this full album.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2015 at 08:18
I admit to quite liking these crossover albums in small doses (I take a not-so-guilty and not-so-secret pleasure in Frank Peterson's [ex-Enigma] Gregorian crossovers too). This one looks a bit like a compilation of the RPOs other albums as they've already done Floyd, Genesis, Rush and Moody Blues (I think either the LPO or the LSO have previously done Yes) - thou I am curious to hear what they've done with GG. 

Personally I prefer these "symphonic" albums without rock accompaniment - as good as Guthrie Govan and Pat Moraz are, their "bits" could be played by soloists in the orchestra - and I don't need rock-drumming on a classical album.
What?
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2015 at 09:05
This is April 1st right?
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2015 at 09:09
I never like these albums---they usually sound very bad to me---including what I hear on this one. The only one I ever sort of liked was the Genesis one with Hackett on it many years ago---some of the songs worked. 
And of course Yes touring with an orchestra---was amazing---but that is a different thing. 
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2015 at 09:13
I thought the albums that Tull alum David (Dee) Palmer did with the LSO in the 80s had some really inspired moments, like on the Tull release A Classic Case:

and for the Genesis compositions on We Know What We Like (with Steve Hackett):

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2015 at 09:34
Hi,

I think this is great and I hope we get more done in the future, and I think it will be there and it will cement the music and the time period as a major artistic success ... and as time goes by I think there will be more integration of rock instruments and an orchestra, albeit I stand with Dean that I won't miss almost any of the rock drumming.

Would be fun ... an orchestra try to do King Crimson! I bet someone in Italy or Norway or Finland or Sweden, will think of it first.

Wait a minute ... there's some Frank Zappa that has been done with an orchestra, isn't there? Now I have to go re-check some of the albums I have! Up to and including that one band in the East Coast that does all Zappa. It's not that great, but it's pass'able.

Edited by moshkito - April 02 2015 at 08:06
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2015 at 09:39
I think the Brodsky Quartet would be more fitting for Crimson
What?
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2015 at 09:40
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

I think this is great and I hope we get more done in the future, and I think it will be there and it will cement the music and the time period as a major artistic success ... and as time go buy I think there will be more integration of rock instruments and an orchestra, albeit I stand with Dean that I won't miss almost any of the rock drumming.

Would be fun ... an orchestra try to do King Crimson! I bet someone in Italy or Norway or Finland or Sweden, will think of it first.

Wait a minute ... there's some Frank Zappa that has been done with an orchestra, isn't there? Now I have to go re-check some of the albums I have! Up to and including that one band in the East Coast that does all Zappa. It's not that great, but it's pass'able.

Already been done:

Or how about a jazz version:

Edited by The Dark Elf - April 01 2015 at 09:49
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2015 at 09:54

Hi,

Wait a minute ... there's some Frank Zappa that has been done with an orchestra, isn't there? 
Yellow Shark by Ensemble Modern.

Edited by Dean - April 01 2015 at 09:55
What?
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2015 at 10:01
Why not ? One good turn deserves another.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2015 at 10:05

Too late - 21st Century Schizoid Man is on the album.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2015 at 10:28
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Too late - 21st Century Schizoid Man is on the album.

And that would probably be the very best piece for the orchestra ... I'm not sure that 50 violins, viola, strings would be any better than the mellotron!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2015 at 13:54

Hi,

I think this is great and I hope we get more done in the future, and I think it will be there and it will cement the music and the time period as a major artistic success ... and as time go buy I think there will be more integration of rock instruments and an orchestra, albeit I stand with Dean that I won't miss almost any of the rock drumming.

I have to agree here, after listening more closely I'd rather not have the drum kit or synths or funky bass or solo guitars. But I have to concede that as a progressive fan, orchestras probably have the right to progress as well. hence the integration of 'modern' instrumentation to express modern music.

That being said, I had held out high hopes for the Emerson Three Fates project that it would be traditional orchestra music, military snare, marching band bass drum, bass lines done by cellos or violas, that sort of thing. I still long to have an interpretation of modern prog done in that vain. Remember, half of what's trying to be accomplished here is the attention grab of a younger audience as well as a satisfaction of oldies like me who wished for orchestral versions of their favourite tunes eons ago.

Still, this is by far one of the best I've heard, although I would have picked a few different tunes.
I also have a bit of a hard time with the 6 minute truncated versions of 30 minute songs.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2015 at 15:04
It's not the first time that this orchestra plays prog. They featured also in some early Wakeman's album if I don't mistake them with another one.
I haven't listened to any track, but the tracklist of the album currently on PA homepage is very intriguing.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2015 at 15:05
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

This is April 1st right?
LOLLOLLOL
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2015 at 15:08
Wow, I thought at first this was Prog plays the Philharmonic! Times have indeed changed.
Great post Chopper! Clap

Edited by SteveG - April 01 2015 at 15:14
Friday13th View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2015 at 16:04
Sounds pretty good. Maybe too many modern instruments. Also I've heard orchestras do some of these songs like "Comfortably Numb" and "Roundabout" before, but that's expected. "Think of Me with Kindness" is a greatly overlooked Gentle Giant song though. The ELP suite sounds really epic tbh.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2015 at 01:31
Re ELP , Keith Emerson had already done this with a German orchestra under the moniker of The Three Fates Project

Have a watch of this really interesting stuff , featuring the Robert Redford of prog himselfSmile

first link is Tarkus , the second Endless Enigma a mixture of interviews and music

I love Endless Enigma done this way truly beautiful when arranged for and inc orchestra

Terra Australis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2015 at 06:40
I know this is not a full orchestra, but I like the string quartet versions of tool songs by 'The Section'. They manage to have a great energy, respecting the originals and taking them somewhere else!
Allomerus. Music with progressive intent.

http://allomerus.bandcamp.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>